Portsmouth Post 23 American Legion Tryouts

Lance42732
Waterboy

Portsmouth Post 23 American Legion Tryouts

Post by Lance42732 »

From: Jack Branon, Post 23 American Legion Baseball Coach

Tryouts for the 2008 Post 23 American Legion baseball junior and senior teams will be held on three dates. The first tryout will be held Sunday, May 18, at Wheelersburg High School at 5:00 p.m. The second tryout date will be Saturday, May 24, at Minford High School at 10:00 a.m. The Third tryout date will be Sunday, May 25, at Wheelersburg High School High School at 1:00 p.m.

Players from all Scioto County high schools are encouraged to try out. Selection will be made by a committee of coaches and scouts from Scioto County.

Players must attend at least one of these tryouts, and preferably two or all three of the tryouts.

Only those players whose teams are finished with their seasons and tournament play may actually try out, but all players still in tournament play must be present to declare their intention to try out and to learn the information that will be presented. An additional tryout will be conducted for those players whose teams are still in tournament competition after May 25.

American Legion Baseball is open to players who were born after January 1, 1989. It is preferred that high school graduates be planning to play college baseball next season.

A Junior team will play a 26 game schedule for Post 23 this summer, so younger players who will be playing high school baseball next year are encouraged to try out. Players born after January 1, 1991, are eligible for this team.

The Post 23 season will begin with a four game road trip to Chillicothe and to Buckhannon, West virginia, from May 31-June 2. The team will play a 56 game regular season schedule, with District and State tournament play beginning in late July. Players need to be available nearly every day during this time.

All players who make the team will be required to provide a certified birth certificate.

For additional Information, email coach Jack Branon at jkbranon@cs.com

Catch24
JV Team

Re: Portsmouth Post 23 American Legion Tryouts

Post by Catch24 »

Lance, do we know who the coach of the jr. team is going to be yet? Are there any more assistants for 23?

It's great to see that there are 56 games scheduled.

Lance42732
Waterboy

Post by Lance42732 »

To my knowledge there has been no one named as the head coach for the junior bunch yet. Coach Schuler is supposed to be finding us one.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Tobias wrote:
Lance42732 wrote:Players from all Scioto County high schools are encouraged to try out. Selection will be made by a committee of coaches and scouts from Scioto County.

Has the selection always been "made by a committee of coaches and scouts"?

I can't imagine Bill Newman selecting players based upon a committee of coaches and scouts.

Last year was the first year a committe was used to select players. Players MUST be committed to playing baseball for the summer if you try out and make the team. Good luck to the young men in blue this season.

Catch24
JV Team

Post by Catch24 »

No, not in legion.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Brisco, if you are a player, you would have to tryout at Greenup or Ashland.

texas dancer
Riding the Bench

Post by texas dancer »

What about the boys who live out of state and go to a Scioto County school-can they play Legion ball in Scioto County?

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

No they go by address.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

I have a question if a player that played on post 23 last year but didn't get much playing time could he transfer or get his release to goto another legion team where he would get to play everyday?

Catch24
JV Team

Post by Catch24 »

BG82, that used to be the case. I can remember when I played for 23 there were a couple guys that went to Waverly to play the following year.

In legion ball, if you live in KY, you play in KY. Same in Ohio for legion ball. However, (and I don't know if there are that many anymore) there are Connie Mack teams which play the same type of competition, probably better, where anyone can play anywhere. I played for a Connie Mack team as a 16 year old and it was a great experience.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

ttt

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

so......do you have to live in Scioto County?......I was informed of someone at Sunday's tryouts from South Shore.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

Does anybody know how many tried out and from where?

oldschooler
Waterboy

Post by oldschooler »

Can someone post a schedule when available, good luck to the Legion team this summer, keep it going strong boys.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

bg82, I dont know exactly how many tried out. Most of the players on the older team did not try out because 5 teams are still left in tournament play: Burg, Portsmouth, Webster, ND and Minford. Most of the kids who played last year made an appearance but could not try out. Burg had Armstrong, Wamsley, White, Kemper and Leach. Portsmouth had a new player who's name escapes me at the moment but Matt and John were not there. Randy was there from Green, hopefully his brother comes out as well. Noel from ND. Monty and Ryan from Webster. Jared, Shawn and Aaron from Minford.

I did see Bricker and Journey from West at the try outs. Valley had a couple of players there but I think they would go on the younger team. Bucky didnt show on Sunday but he still has two more chances. It would be nice if Davenport from Rock Hill comes out, that would give us another left handed pitcher and 1st baseman. Russell from Burg was not at the meeting.

It appears the young team will have quite a few kids competing for spots. I know 5-6 Burg players were at the try out. I am not sure how many from Clay showed up since we do not play them in regular season.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

Thanks Bama sounds like a good team again this year. Russell has comitted to play elsewere this year. I'm sure you understand why. I hope Post 23 wins everygame, made alot of good friends last year good luck to all.

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

BG82; Jordan an U will surely be missed, Had a alot of good times last year, an If the young'n makes it on the team I wont have to worry about getting threw out of a game, HAHAHAHAHA!! Good Luck

oldpgguy
Freshman Team

Post by oldpgguy »

[quote="alabama mike"]bg82, I dont know exactly how many tried out. Most of the players on the older team did not try out because 5 teams are still left in tournament play: Burg, Portsmouth, Webster, ND and Minford. Most of the kids who played last year made an appearance but could not try out. Burg had Armstrong, Wamsley, White, Kemper and Leach. Portsmouth had a new player who's name escapes me at the moment but Matt and John were not there. Randy was there from Green, hopefully his brother comes out as well. Noel from ND. Monty and Ryan from Webster. Jared, Shawn and Aaron from Minford.

I did see Bricker and Journey from West at the try outs. Valley had a couple of players there but I think they would go on the younger team. Bucky didnt show on Sunday but he still has two more chances. It would be nice if Davenport from Rock Hill comes out, that would give us another left handed pitcher and 1st baseman. Russell from Burg was not at the meeting.

Only problem is he is RHP

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Doesnt matter, we'll still take a pitcher. :mrgreen: I was told yesterday he was a lefty.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

ttt for all to see.

Return to “Baseball”