Freshman Team

Wheelersburg VS Westfall

Post by burggrad82 »

Any Idea how this one is going to go?

Bozo
S

Re: Wheelersburg VS Westfall

Post by Bozo »

Westfall is a scrappy team. Two very good players in Cline and Fullen. They almost pulled one on the Burg at this point last year, then ZT got them in the District Final.

oldschooler
Waterboy

Post by oldschooler »

Good Luck to the Pirates, I am hoping to make this one if I make it up north in time for the game. This will be the first one for me this season, so am itching to get there. One game at a time!

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Burg will have its full complement of the pitching staff ready to go for this one. I am not sure who will start the game, (well I have an idea but I am not going to share it on here) but all of the main ones could use some game work if the game is in our favor.

The offense is still a concern, we have been in a funk hitting for a few games. We have had some trouble stringing hits together like we were doing earlier in the season and moving runners over. I'd like to see us be a little more aggressive on the base paths if we are fortunate enough to get runners on base.

Hopefully, we will be making the return trip on Friday. Best of luck men, focus on what you have to do on Wed.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Don't know much about Westfall only that last years district semi was a dandy.

I believe Burg will win this game but I am a little unsure based upon the lack of offense lately. If the offense gets back on track, this team is dangerous. And with a 4 deep pitching rotation and solid defense they will not give up many earned runs.

Good Luck Pirates! Keep the Pirate ship headed on course for Columbus.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

It was a good game last year should be again.

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

Good Luck tonight to the Burg, an bring home a " W "

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I just got a phone call a little while ago and was told the Burg was up 7-0 in the 3rd inning. Westfalls pitcher had walked the bases loaded and then walked in a run before the Pirates strung some hits together to put up some runs and Westfall had called timeout to change pitchers. As soon as I get another update I'll post it.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I just got another call and it is 20-2 Burg after 5 innings, which I would assume in a mercy rule win for the Pirates. They said the Burg hit the ball really well today, which is great that they finally got out of that offensive funk they've been in.

Congrats to the Pirates on the win!!!

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

I was at this game and it was really no contest. Westfall simply didn't have the pitching to go up against Wheelersburg's bats. I thought maybe in the 4th Westfall was going to string something together, but a costly baserunning error at 2nd base killed a rally and the Burg never looked back. I imagine with Wamsley and Russel on the hill, Wheelersburg will be a very tough team to beat.

upi34
Riding the Bench

Post by upi34 »

Way to go Burg...Congrads to Mike and gang!

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Congrats Pirates! Good luck on Friday.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

the team looked solid tonight Great pitching by Adam and Jordan and the bats came alive. Aaron was the man 3 2b and a 1b 4-4 . I think Huntington should pitch around him. Go pirates win the district.

ABB
Waterboy

Post by ABB »

Not that you will need it, but is there a scouting report on Huntington? Haven't heard much about them over the years. Good luck Burg!

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Glad to see the offense starting to come alive again. This was a concern for me heading into the tourney as our offensive production was down from earlier in the season. This team is dangerous when they are hitting well. Not a weak spot anywhere in the lineup.

I would say that Burg was well into double digits in the hit department last night. Good production from the middle of the lineup. Also Burg hitters were very patient at the plate for the most part as they waited for a good pitch to hit. Hopper 4-4 3 doubles, a single and a couple RBIs, White 2-3 with 2 singles and a couple RBIs, Wamsley was 2-4 with 2 singles (one was a sure double but runners were beging held up late) and a couple RBIs as well. Blevings was 1-2 I believe with a RBI double to RCF, a walk and nice SAC bunt. S. Hall stayed hot at the plate going 1-1 with a nice single to CF and added to the base running with a walk and HBP. Several nice SAC flys and bunts to add to the cause as well by others in the lineup. Small ball can be a huge key during tourney play.

Wamsley pitched an outstanding 4 innings and Russell finished the final frame. Only threat by Westfall was in the third when Wamsley was strictly opening with his fastball, go it up a bit in the zone and Westfall was agressive early. They strung together several well hit balls in the inning to plate 2 and put the score at 7-2. Burg would extend the lead in the 4th with a 13 run inning I think.

All in all a solid performance by this Burg bunch as they advance to the district finals in Athens Friday to face Huntington Ross.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

ABB wrote:Not that you will need it, but is there a scouting report on Huntington? Haven't heard much about them over the years. Good luck Burg!

Not 100% but I believe Westfall and Huntington split this season. Huntington finished 3rd in the conference and Westfall 4th in a tough conference. Comments are that Huntington has a pretty solid pitcher that Burg will probably see and I'm sure they'll face one of the top pitchers in SE Ohio in Burg's #1 Russell.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

ABB
Waterboy

Post by ABB »

I would assume Huntington threw their #1 last night...that could put them in a bind.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Huntington has about 3 pitchers that are all about the same.

volsfan
Freshman Team

Post by volsfan »

Boys, get ready for the better pitching as it will each game, no reason for not hitting the ball last night, it was like batting practice, the test for Burg will be again as they face better and faster pitchers as each game they face better teams. Pirates know this year after year. Don't swing at bad pitches and continue to work on base running, those are the things that separate teams in tournament time. We have the pitching, so work on everything else. I think the Pirates will be just fine taking one game at a time. Coaches are doing a great job keeping these guys focused.

Return to “Baseball”