who has the best feild in southern Ohio

Post by paycheck »

So tell me who is it?

alabama mike
SE

Re: who has the best feild in southern Ohio

Post by alabama mike »

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=41263

Here is what others were saying back in March.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

There seems to be quite a few nice fields throughout southeastern Ohio but the WORST field would have to be Waverly. The downward slope behind the backstop is dangerous. One of these days someone's lawnchair is going over backwards. The dugouts are block so there way to see through them and the field is actually sitting in a valley with terrible drainage. Coach Noble has really tried to better this somewhat new park. The new Fenway style scoreboard is awesome!!!
Last edited by soccerfix on Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

JabbatheDel
Riding the Bench

Post by JabbatheDel »

I would have to say that the 3 foot backstop at Gallia Academy has to make it toward the top. Also, if you can keep the geese and dead carp off the field, it is a first-class establishment.

My favorite aspect from Memorial Field has got to be the fresh smell of the swamp which sure enough will flood the field and leave a weekend worth of cleaning for the coaches and a few helpful parents at least a couple times a season.

bystander
Riding the Bench

Post by bystander »

If not mistaken White Oak was given the prize for D-4 for this past years season at the District All-Star game in June, but look out in the next few years at Eastern Pike----Hats off to Coach Brian Martin who spends countless hours on that field---it will be a prize baseball field thanks to his efforts.

Crazy Legs
Freshman Team

Post by Crazy Legs »

The #1 field in the area is Jackson. They are making new modifications to the field right now it will look very good. Plus new sod and distances of the fence with a baby green monster in left. It should be nice.

JabbatheDel
Riding the Bench

Post by JabbatheDel »

bystander wrote:If not mistaken White Oak was given the prize for D-4 for this past years season at the District All-Star game in June, but look out in the next few years at Eastern Pike----Hats off to Coach Brian Martin who spends countless hours on that field---it will be a prize baseball field thanks to his efforts.

Not to knock Coach Martin, but I know plenty of coaches who have to spend tons and tons of hours on a field every day just to have it ready to play on every day. Just another one of those things that aren't in the job description but can get you fired for not completing them.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Minford has the best field in the area, hands down.

CleanupMan
Waterboy

Post by CleanupMan »

I would say go a little farther south across the river. Boyd and Greenup county's fields are way better anything I seen in southern Ohio. IMO

Burg had a pretty good look at the field last year. Burg plays Greenup twice in 2009. Also Ptown plays GC once in 2009.

catscoachmac
Riding the Bench

Post by catscoachmac »

I agree with White Oak. Played Sectional there and was amazed--especially considering the rains that had come the day before and day of. Learned from their coach that they had very few rainouts throughout a TYPICAL wet spring for our area. Plus, even as a visiting team, I love the fact that the uniqueness of the field allows for a homefield advantage. Going there, you have to face a well coached team and the quarkyness of a different look to a field; the product of good programs.

tad23
Waterboy

Post by tad23 »

bystander wrote:If not mistaken White Oak was given the prize for D-4 for this past years season at the District All-Star game in June, but look out in the next few years at Eastern Pike----Hats off to Coach Brian Martin who spends countless hours on that field---it will be a prize baseball field thanks to his efforts.

agreed with the coach martin comment... I SAW HIM OUT THERE SPRINKLING THE FIELDS THE OTHER DAY AND NOBODY ELSE WAS OUT THERE WITH HIM...(just his dog) :lol:

he really has it leveled out to be one of the best...GREAT coach for the guys at eastern...
and its obvious that he cares for the kids around here.. he knows how to let them have a good time... he was a substitute for me.. a couple times...really kool guy... :122245
also love this guys story... from what i heard he was really close to being pro...
never asked him,, but ill get to it

m_martin
Riding the Bench

Post by m_martin »

Minford has to have the best field....there are other nice field such as valley and northwest but minfords is the best......

bulkmove
Freshman Team

Post by bulkmove »

Minford is a very nice field. I like what Coach Martin has done around the diamond. He has definately put work into that facility.
Valley and Northwest both have nice facilities also.

I like Greenup's playing surface, but the last game I saw there, there was stuff laying all over the place outside the field. Not sure if it is always like that, but that kind of turned me off.

Boyd Co. has a nice facility also.

Lets remember, there are very few schools that sink any money into the fields (unless it is a football field). Most if not ALL the work is done by the coaches and any volunteers (parents, assistant coaches, players). So anyone with a decent playing service should be praised.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

And I will be the first to throw a little shout out to GW, for the condition of Fed Hock's baseball field. It is all him, period. No help from anyone else. The folks that have come to the home football games have repeatedly praised, or better yet, exclaimed, how great the baseball field looks.

That is all due to the work of one man, GW McLintock. No, Katheryn has nothin' to gripe about......He's been spendin' all his time down there on the baseball field..........

I hope that the Fed Hock BB faithful recognize how much time he has spent on the field...............He needs to be applauded for his efforts and work to date!

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Sssshhh.. Kathryn thinks I'm at Birmbaum's.

Seriously, no thanks are necessary. It's something I enjoy doing as a hobby and as a tribute to my dad. I'm just glad people are happy with it.

Thank you.

Catch One
Freshman Team

Post by Catch One »

You are right SD. without GW the feild would be a mess.
I seen him up there the other night on his chopper.
Thanks for making it a great place for the kids to play GW.

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

The best field is Minford- Waverly has the worst! However, it is a lot better than what it could be thanks to a lot of hard work. The dugouts need to go and the drainage needs repaired.

Crazy Legs
Freshman Team

Post by Crazy Legs »

Everyone keeps saying minford the infield is nice, but the dimensions and outfield are horriable. I will agree with bucki4life Waverly drainage is bad the backstop is to far and the dugouts could have been better. I know every coach works hard on their field and they should all be appreciated for that. It takes allot of our time.

ItownBrowns
Freshman Team

Post by ItownBrowns »

Although Ironton has no field right now, the new field being constructed looks pretty good thus far. Was down by the new elementary/middle school the other day and saw the new I'town baseball and softball fields being put together. At this time only the dugouts and poles are down but I liked what I saw of it so far. Hopefully it will be a nice facility I'town can use for years.

falcon_2010
Waterboy

Post by falcon_2010 »

i think that minford has the best field
coach martin is always keeping that field up to date and keeping it looking nice all year around

Return to “Baseball”