Clay Panthers 2009

osubuckeye
Riding the Bench

Clay Panthers 2009

Post by osubuckeye »

Can I get some thoughts on how the Clay Panthers might do in there S.O.C this year?

alabama mike
SE

Re: Panthers Baseball?

Post by alabama mike »

I look for Notre Dame to take the league once again. I am not sure what Clay has coming up or returning to varsity.

osubuckeye
Riding the Bench

Post by osubuckeye »

Sounds right actually.
Last edited by osubuckeye on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

The problem with Clay and similar teams are the poor feeder programs leading up to high school sports.

fungo7
Waterboy

Post by fungo7 »

Symmes Valley has most of their team returning from the S.O.C. championship team from last year. Clay should make some noise but don't forget about Green, Western, Eastern and New Boston(if they have a team this year). Notre Dame will struggle this year, remember they lost 7 players to graduation and have alot of holes to fill for this upcoming season. They will have to learn on the field but will probably make some noise the second half of league play. Good luck to all the teams this year in the S.O.C. 1 and 2 and look forward to following some great baseball again this spring.

rosemounter
Waterboy

Post by rosemounter »

coach robinson always has a team that is ready to compete. i believe they will slump this year due to the loss of 4 starting seniors.they have some holes to fill but robinson will be ready to play when the season starts.

BeAWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by BeAWarrior »

Never count out a Mark Robinson coached team...This man coaches the fundamentals of baseball better than I have ever seen, Robinson always has his boys ready to go. Ive seen them play right with 1-10 team, but have also seen them upset some major teams over the years.

Clay will have a rough season this year, The lost 5 seniors, 4 of which were starters, and I might add that these players were the team. The Panther lost their 2 strong pitchers, their catcher, their 2nd baseman, and their 1b/3b/cf (depended on pitching assignment.

PITCHING-Last season Blanton and Parker shared the mound the entire season doing fairly well, I think they both had a decent record with good ERA's. The Panthers have no pitching coming back this year that I know of, if the Panthers played 150 innings last season, the duo of Blanton and Parker threw probabaly 135 or so, that doesnt leave much experience coming into the season.

CATCHING-Parker was one of the best cathers I have watched over the last few years, he was extremley quick, he had a cannon, and what always appeard to be great field control. I always heard coach Robinson commenting of his toghness and his work ethic, Other than pitching this will be the hardest position to fill for coach Robinson. Morgan Garrett caught when Parker pitched, and did fairly well...He lacks in size, arm strength, and leadership, which you might say is everything that a catcther is but he has solid fundamentals.

2nd Base- Tyler Robinson held down second base last season, doing a job wirth of a second baseman, Im not so convinced that the Panthers will be hurting so much at this position...Robinson is a huge asset to lose in aspect to his speed, he could cover alot of ground, and always made the easy play which is all you can ask out of a second baseman. John Mckenzie played a little 2nd base last year and did well for a first year player, ifhe could mature and learn to throw the ball, he might grow into a solid player.

1B/3B/CF- Ryan Kirkpatrick was a tremendous asset to the Panthers last season, his position depended on who pitched that night, if Blanton pitched, he played 3rd, and when Parker pitched he played 1st, every now and then he would even find himself in center field, doing a great job at each position. He played tough whereever you put him and you could always count on him. One of the biggest assets of Kirkpatrick was a pick off move that he and Parker had last season, I must have seen Parker pick off 10 players with Kirkpatrick at 1st base.

All four of these players were great defensive players but they may have even been better offensive players. No offense to anyone still on the team but these four players were the offense. Robinson led off, Kirkpatrick followed, and thenParker and Blanton swithced in the 3 and 4 spot. these kids could hit, and you could always count on them. if I had to guess, if the panthers had 100 hits on the season these four contributed nearly 90 if not more Id say. They lacked power, Parker did hit i think 4 home runs last season, but really should hav been more in my opinion. They were all quick also, these are players that are just really going to be missed on the offensive end of the game.

The other aspect that the team will be missing this season is unity. It seemed like the Seniors last season really kept this team together, they did a great job of leading that team last season. Parker did a great job managing the game behind the plate and calling pitches when Blanton pitched (Garret didnt do bad calling pitches, Parker had more pitches to play with)

Last years seniors ar really going to be missed- offesnivly,defensivly and in aspect of leadership. Like I said, DONT EVER count out Mark Robinson team, they know how to play, I think the team will have a so-so season, it might take them half the season or so to get acclimated to a new year, I think they relied on the Senios last year too much (rightfully so) thats just the way it works, and now they have find their own identity.

Good Luck next season Panthers!!

Go get it done!

rosemounter
Waterboy

Post by rosemounter »

the leadership will definetly be missed. and i forgot about the pick off move parker and kirkpatrick had. i think that worked every time they tried it. i even seen them pull it off 2 or 3 times a game.

BeAWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by BeAWarrior »

It was definitly fun to watch.

On my last post I didnt really mention the returning player, so I guess I could comment on those players for a while...

The Panthers really dont have much experience coming back...

I think they only had a 13 man roster last season, one of which was an exchange student and 5 were seniors.

The Panthers will have 3 seniors returning (Puckett, Ratcliff, and Dodrill)

Of those players Puckett has 2 years of experience under his belt at SS, and Ratcliff has some experience in the outfield. Im not sure if Dodrill has seen much time on the field, but those 3 players will need to atleast support the team with some type of leadership

While Im on the subject of leadership, I might add that I think Garrett will enter the season with an ample need for leadership, he'll be the starting cather, and will need to show field command behing the plate.(I think this young man will)

Juniors...Kyle Pollard, and Morgan Garrett...Both have expierence as they both saw time their Freshman seasons I believe, but both played alot last season. Garrett will step in as the New Catcher, and Pollard started in CF last season and was peaking towards the end of the season(with the excepetion of the complete outfields complete lackluster performance in the sectional final @ Paint Valley.)

Im not sure about upcoming Sophomores...other than a young man named John Mckenzie. This boy can play despite his size. He saw the field some last season, and I was impressed when he played, he hit the ball some, and made some nice plays in the infield. I look for this young man to step in and take a middle infield position and play well this season for the Panthers.

This all being said, I have absolutly no clue about incoming Freshmen, I havtn even heard if there are any this season, Hopefully they have a good number of incoming players but who knows.

1 word that describes what this team will be---Inexperienced...Not alot of innings coming back opposed as to other season...Just as the seniors last year, a few of them started all 4 years...and even if they didnt start they played alot with the varsity, the same cant be said about the team this season. Coach Robinson is going to have alot of work ahead of him, but if there is any coach who can teach theseplayers how to play ball its him--espicially Panther Baseball.

rosemounter
Waterboy

Post by rosemounter »

the real questionable position fill will be in the pitching rotation. last year they really only had 2 players who both graduated. nathan burchett will pitch some but who knows. robinson likes his whole team to be able to pitch. also questions at 1st and 3rd. middle infield with puckett and mckensie. outfield will be pollard and burchett. ratcliff could possible play first but the 3rd base position in the real one in question.

BeAWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by BeAWarrior »

Either way, theres going to be people playing positions that havnt had much experience at...with the exception of Garrett, Pollard, and Puckett

Robinson has his work cut out for him, He's a good coach though.

Any idea who his assistants will be this season?

rosemounter
Waterboy

Post by rosemounter »

i heard that dixon got a job helping a kid at shawnee state. im sure everyone would like to have bennet back but hes gonna keep coaching minford. i heard that it could possibly be david wellman.lol.

BeAWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by BeAWarrior »

It most certeinly would be nice to have Coach Bennet back, he really knew the game of baseball well.

I remeber a few years back a former player named Kotcamp helped Robinson out, I dont remeber seeing him last year though?

rosemounter
Waterboy

Post by rosemounter »

he hasnt helped the past couple years due to his college work. i know that former players are allowed back at anytime to help. so throughout the year a couple players from past teams come in to help and knock off some rust. but kotcamp usually helped the catchers.

BeAWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by BeAWarrior »

It would definitly be a huge asset if some of those boys could come back from last season to help.

I would really like to see Bennet come back, but he has his hands full with Minford softball, rightfully so, Bennet is actually more knowledged about the game of softball than baseball if you can believe that. Back in the day that man was a legend.

rosemounter
Waterboy

Post by rosemounter »

there is always old facing showing up to help the team. i know bennet likes softball but he likes baseball better. he has told me many times because he said he feels bad when he has to get mean with the girls. but he was only on the world series winning softball team. believe me i heard the stories many times.

BeAWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by BeAWarrior »

Its a safe assumption Bennet wont be coming back to the Panther's dugout. I know Dixon helped out alot last season but who knows if he will be back with the program. Kotcamp hasnt been with the program apparently, and so far from what Ive heard has no plans to. So what does that leave Robinson with?

I understand he has old faces showing up all the time, but it really is hard to find good help, espicially in baseball. Baseball has never recieved the attnetion and recognition that it deserves at Clay(support and funding)

rosemounter
Waterboy

Post by rosemounter »

robinson was in the same situation last year and from out of no where dixon showed up. some1 will come around i am sure. and bill johnson the hardest score keeper in the state possibly will be there to continue his streak of about 18 or so years.

BeAWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by BeAWarrior »

I must appologize. I nearly forgot about the legendary Bill Johnson.

rosemounter
Waterboy

Post by rosemounter »

a famous bill johnson quote "that wasnt a hit. if the wind had be blowing and the 2nd baseman would have got a better jump and dove for the ball he wouldnt have missed it by 10 feet. that was an error." it might not have been to that extent but there is no padding the stats in the johnson books.

Return to “Baseball”