Ironton vs. Chesapeake

tigermom42
Riding the Bench

Ironton vs. Chesapeake

Post by tigermom42 »

Ironton will play Chesapeake on Tuesday the 12th of May at 5:00 at Coal Grove High School's baseball field. Tournaminet play!

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Re: Ironton vs. Chesapeake

Post by ChessyFan09 »

Congrats Peake on a true team win.You took Ironton out early and never let them back in.This was possibly the best overall team effort of the year especially without 2 starters and a juggled lineup.Everyone contributed and made a difference to give seniors Matt Angle and Travis Zimmerman another game. Nice job behind the plate by freshman Brandon Noble to help Z on his one-hitter and great defense by everyone to leave all those runners stranded. With this kind of positive play you can do well against Fairland on Friday.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

What in the world happened to Ironton this year? Just asking for someone's perspective that is close to the program.

journeyman
Waterboy

Post by journeyman »

Ironton baseball is in a sad state. One half of the victories were over Portsmouth and the other victories were over teams with poor records. Discipline is a problem, the negative attitudes, players not knowing what to do on the field, baserunning errors, and not having enough players for a full season of JV baseball means that things will continue to struggle. There are other issues too, but the last 3 or 4 years have put Ironton baseball off the map.

tigermama
Varsity

Post by tigermama »

Have you ever asked yourself why they have negative attitudes?
As far as baserunning, the coaches tell them when to steal or not.
Baserunning has not been aggressive this year and you cannot blame all of this on the players. What about the excessive amount of errors? If you watched any of the games, it started with the same player but that player never was pulled out of any game regardless of how many errors were made. Bad attitudes, well there were players that missed practices and games but still started when they decided to show up. Before the first game the boys were told if they missed games or practices they would have to sit out. If they missed so many, they would be off the team. That was never enforced. I felt sorry for the team because I know they were capable of playing better. The majority of this team played all-stars for junior league and senior league and made it to the state play-offs, so I know they sould have done a lot better. Let's just hope next season is better.

journeyman
Waterboy

Post by journeyman »

tigermama wrote:The majority of this team played all-stars for junior league and senior league and made it to the state play-offs, so I know they sould have done a lot better. Let's just hope next season is better.
Have you ever asked yourself why they have negative attitudes?
As far as baserunning, the coaches tell them when to steal or not.
Baserunning has not been aggressive this year and you cannot blame all of this on the players. What about the excessive amount of errors? If you watched any of the games, it started with the same player but that player never was pulled out of any game regardless of how many errors were made. Bad attitudes, well there were players that missed practices and games but still started when they decided to show up. Before the first game the boys were told if they missed games or practices they would have to sit out. If they missed so many, they would be off the team. That was never enforced. I felt sorry for the team because I know they were capable of playing better. The majority of this team played all-stars for junior league and senior league and made it to the state play-offs, so I know they sould have done a lot better. Let's just hope next season is better.

Well, this is varsity baseball. Junior and Senior League all-star/state playoffs mean nothing. Second of all, we can sit here and blame Ironton's performance for this and that. But have you ever thought that it may be that it's just the talent? You can blame it on the coaching (if there is any) or on the attitudes (which do make a difference) or even on baserunning? But the core of the whole problem is Ironton does not have that great of players! I don't care if Bobby Cox is coaching and every player has a championship attitude! They still would not be that great! So let us lower the expectations and please quit making excuses!

tigermama
Varsity

Post by tigermama »

This team does have talent! Sometimes you have to know when to pull a pitcher, change your players, and just manage the team. You cannot sit back and not do anything to try and help the situation. I have never seen anyone leave someone in the game that continually makes errors or when the other team is beating the cover off of every ball you throw them. I don't know why you have to be so nasty about it. I am not making excuses but you can't always blame the kids. The majority of the kids that play on the varsity team are good at athletics and academics. They are disciplined and can only do what the coach allows them to. It's obvious that you didn't go to very many games or if any at all, or you would have seen that for yourself. There has to be someone that the team can take direction from and it just didn't look like the case. If that offends anyone or hurts their feelings, that is not my intention, I only speak the truth.

tigermama
Varsity

Post by tigermama »

journeyman wrote:Ironton baseball is in a sad state. One half of the victories were over Portsmouth and the other victories were over teams with poor records. Discipline is a problem, the negative attitudes, players not knowing what to do on the field, baserunning errors, and not having enough players for a full season of JV baseball means that things will continue to struggle. There are other issues too, but the last 3 or 4 years have put Ironton baseball off the map.
You stated this but seem to take offense when I commented on the same things and the possible reasons for them. Think about this, what has been the same constant for Ironton baseball the last 3 or 4 years? Maybe if that were to change, things might look better for the Tigers.
Oh and the numbers will probably be lower for next year's team, maybe if you are in school you can play and if you are out of school, maybe you should sign up to help coach. :roll:

86Tiger
JV Team

Post by 86Tiger »

I am only gonna say this about Ironton baseball. My son is a very talented player along with others. He has played for 4 yrs. There are many factors that have contributed to its decline but it is not fair to say that they simply don't have talent because that is not true. We can only hope that things get better. To sit and point fingers and blame people helps no one. This is for the kids and that is what it should be about.

Go Tigers!!!!!

TigerTownKid
Varsity

Post by TigerTownKid »

I usually do not post bad things about people, but the reason for Ironton's baseball decline can be blamed on one thing...and that is coaching. And you can take this from someone who knows, me, having played for the current coach my junior and senior year. It is also somewhat goes back on the school because they do not care about it at all. Coach Schreck is basically there to babysit kids and be there for when they have to play a game. I remember last year in a full season, we only practiced one or two times on an actual baseball field.
And as far as talent goes, the last 4 years have been some VERY talented teams that could have made a very far run into the tournament with the proper coaching and motivation. There are kids from the past and present that should be playing college baseball at some pretty high levels, but they aren't. Not because they were or are not talented, but one in that can do anything cares enough about it to get them anywhere.
sorry, this may seem like a little but of a rant, but I personally have some issues with the baseball program at Ironton.

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

ironton will have a winning team in 2 years. watch and see

obpg
Waterboy

Post by obpg »

SWbaseballFan wrote:ironton will have a winning team in 2 years. watch and see

You Also said that St. Joe wouldn't make it out of the first round! You might want to lay off the predictions for a while!

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

TigerTownKid wrote:I usually do not post bad things about people, but the reason for Ironton's baseball decline can be blamed on one thing...and that is coaching. And you can take this from someone who knows, me, having played for the current coach my junior and senior year. It is also somewhat goes back on the school because they do not care about it at all. Coach Schreck is basically there to babysit kids and be there for when they have to play a game. I remember last year in a full season, we only practiced one or two times on an actual baseball field.
And as far as talent goes, the last 4 years have been some VERY talented teams that could have made a very far run into the tournament with the proper coaching and motivation. There are kids from the past and present that should be playing college baseball at some pretty high levels, but they aren't. Not because they were or are not talented, but one in that can do anything cares enough about it to get them anywhere.
sorry, this may seem like a little but of a rant, but I personally have some issues with the baseball program at Ironton.

That is why baseball people and fans of Ironton need to stand up and let your voice be heard. It seems to me, the Ironton fans don't want to tip the boat if they are not associated with the Football program. If more districts would stand up and fight for spring sports then maybe they would get the quality coaching it deserves and the respect it should get.
There are some good coaches out there and I am sure many of them would love to coach at Ironton.
That being said, if the administration doesn't care then of course the program will suffer. I have said it before, but to have a successful baseball program you need 3 ingredients. 1. Baseball players that want to play. 2. A coach that has passion. 3. Administration that would do anything to help them out and make sure they are playing the games and backing the coach. Either 3 missing, forget about being successful.

TigerTownKid
Varsity

Post by TigerTownKid »

I agree 100% regulator. I had and still have all the passion in the world for the game, and I'm sure that there are several more that feel the same way as me. Apparently a state title needs to be won here before anyone will ever give our baseball program a look. It's truly pathetic. And I would be so much better off right now I would have aged for a different program...

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

TigerTownKid wrote:I agree 100% regulator. I had and still have all the passion in the world for the game, and I'm sure that there are several more that feel the same way as me. Apparently a state title needs to be won here before anyone will ever give our baseball program a look. It's truly pathetic. And I would be so much better off right now I would have aged for a different program...

Ironton won a State Baseball title in 1972 under coach Mike Burcham. Ironton also reached the final 4 in 1995 I believe, under Coach Mark Lewis.
Ironton has a long and very successful past in baseball.

TigerTownKid
Varsity

Post by TigerTownKid »

Exactly all that hapened in the past...the final 4 team was 15 years ago..coach lewis was a good coach but now he's gone. I think I would know a lot more about how this program is being ran right considering I played for it. Right now it's pathetic, and there is no one that can do anything about it that cares.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

With a new AD maybe things will change.

I have watched this team for the last two years and there needs to be some changes. There are some good baseball Coaches out there one works within the school system and one outside if they were hired you would see a big difference.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

I don't have a dog in the fight, but it drives me nuts when baseball is not taken as serious as the rest of the sports. Especially by schools like Ironton, that have athletes and can compete year in and year out if the right person is in position.

OSU 77 wrote:With a new AD maybe things will change.

I have watched this team for the last two years and there needs to be some changes. There are some good baseball Coaches out there one works within the school system and one outside if they were hired you would see a big difference.

I will also tell you there are coaches outside the Ironton area that would be great candidates for the job. One is Jason Wright, former coach at South Webster and Jackson. I don't think he is coaching anywhere at this time. If you wanted the ship to go in the right direction he would be the first person I would call. Down here in Webster he took a 2 win team to double digit wins his first year. Also I believe won many games at Jackson. He is just one off the top of my head. I am sure there are many others.

journeyman
Waterboy

Post by journeyman »

The past few years have been a travesty for Ironton baseball and a lot of the reason is because fans and parents tolerate it. I realize this isn't almighty football, however what is wrong with striving for excellence in everything. It was always this way in the past. This is not just about the wins and loses either. It's more about developing young men into men of character and respect which begins at the top. When players are coached up and a lot is expected out of them, they will respond. The program has gone downhill and excellence is not expected. The goal this year for Ironton baseball was to have a 500 record. The players were told this and so defeat began before the first game of the season. This is an issue of character development. We can't develop character with a goal of a 500 season. Some things have got to change for the sake of our young men.

Return to “Baseball”