Southern Legend, Hilton "Big Foose" Wolfe Jr. passes away

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Southern Legend, Hilton "Big Foose" Wolfe Jr. passes away

Post by Remember_The_Name »

This evening Hilton"Big Foose" Wolfe Jr. passed away at Holzer Clinic in Gallia. Ohio. He was diagnosed with cancer around a year or so ago and has been battling it ever since. He Coached Baseball and Girls basketball at Southern High School for years and also taught. For those of you who may not know him, he was part of the famous front row crew at Southern basketball games :-) ... Many people fron the SEO region knows how good of a guy he really was and he will be greatly missed by many. He impacted the lives of many people and was an inspiration to all. There will always only be one big foose. RIP Uncle Big

g w mclintock
All State

Re: Southern Legend, Hilton "Big Foose" Wolfe Jr. passes away

Post by g w mclintock »

I remember Big Foose. Racine has lost a special man. My thoughts go out to his family.

Unclebig
Waterboy

Re: Southern Legend, Hilton "Big Foose" Wolfe Jr. passes away

Post by Unclebig »

Hilton Neigler “Big Fooze” Wolfe, Jr., 74

with pic

Hilton Neigler “Big Fooze” Wolfe, Jr.
RACINE – Hilton Neigler “Big Fooze” Wolfe, Jr. 74, of Racine, died Wednesday, July 29, at the Holzer Medical Center with family and friends at his side.
Born on May 19, 1935 at Racine, he was the son of the late Hilton Wolfe, Sr. and Ruth Salser Wolfe. He was a member of the Racine United Methodist Church, president of the Racine-Syracuse Sewer Board for 15 years, and a former member of the Racine Volunteer Fire Department. He also owned and operated Wolfe's Body Shop in Racine Village for nearly 50 years. He was a Christian.
Wolfe's greatest joy came in watching sports and stock car and sprint car racing, where he spent most weekends with his family. He enjoyed watching his sons (Scott Wolfe and Bryan Wolfe) race Late Models and held every racing driver and racing fan dear to his heart.
One of his last requests was "Tell my family I love them, and all my friends. Let them know I love them,and tell everyone that I enjoyed watching them race and play ball all through the years. I enjoyed everyone's friendship."
He is survived by his wife of 52 years, Marilyn Ebersbach, two sons, Scott of Syracuse and Bryan (Sherry) of Racine; two brothers Larry (Dolores) Wolfe, Racine, and Duane (Brenda) Wolfe, Racine; and six grandchildren, Kylie, Jennifer and Torrey Wolfe of Ravenswood, W. Va., Jarod and Raquel Wolfe of Racine, and Kyle Wolfe of Gallipolis; an aunt, Grace Agre of Morris Plains, N. J., and several nieces, nephews, great nieces and nephews.
Special lifelong friends who survive include Joe Stobart and Ronnie Young, Layton Boyd, Larry Birch, Dave Nease and Dave Shain, along with many community members, too many to list. He leaves behind many racing family members and sports family members, all of which he considered members of his personal family. He also took great pride in seeing his students attain success after graduation.
Mr. Wolfe taught school for 32 years, 31 of which were at Southern High School. He was known for his dedication to academic achievement and athletic development.
During those years, 1955 to 1981, he was the teacher and coach of boys and girls basketball and baseball had award-winning athletic teams. In 1970-71 he was named varsity coach in boys basketball. In girls basketball he led teams to two SVAC and two sectional championships, in baseball from 1971 to 1985 took three SVAC championships, one district championship and one regional championship and became a three-time district Coach of the Year. His overall baseball coaching record was 164-104. Many years he also drove the school bus to the games.
All through the years he remained an avid fan of the Southern Tornados, of the Cincinnati Reds and the Cleveland Indians, along with auto racing and bluegrass music. He was inducted into the Ohio Valley Racers Hall of Fame. His hobbies included collecting coins and arrowheads. He loved teaching, coaching, traveling, and helping people. He was especially recognized for his friendly smile, his keen sense of humor, and his signature “Big Fooze” wave.
On Dec. 5, 2008 the Southern Alumni Association hosted a “Big Fooze Appreciation Night at the Eastern-Southern game. Then on March 18, 2009 the $2,000 raised at the alumni game was put into the “Big Fooze” Scholarship Fund. This fund provides financial aid for a graduating senior from Southern High School with preference going to a financially needy athlete. In lieu of flowers the family asks that friends send donations to the Big Fooze Scholarship Fund, In care of Southern Alumni; Attn: Junie Maynard; 906 Elm Street, Racine, Ohio 45771. Checks should be payable to Southern Alumni Association.
Funeral services will be held at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 2, in the Southern High School gymnasium. Officiating will be the Rev. Don Walker, the Rev. Jim Satterfield, and the Rev. Bill Marshall. Burial will be in Greenwood Cemetery. Pallbearers will be Jarod Wolfe, Kyle Wolfe, Torrey Wolfe, Wes Riffle, Jay Rees, Kevin Layne, Jonathan Rees and Jason Shain.
Calling hours at Southern High School will be Saturday from 1 to 3 and 5 to 8 p.m and 1 to 2:30 p.m. prior to the funeral. Cremeens Funeral Home in Racine will be handling the funeral arrangements.

Return to “Baseball”