Baseball Rule Violations

RHMS Baseball
Waterboy

Baseball Rule Violations

Post by RHMS Baseball »

On two separare occasions this season, two different umpiring crews did not correctly call the rule application that applys to a third strike on a batter whereas the pitch was either wild or a pass ball, while at the same time runners were on 1st and second or just 1st with less than two outs. On both instances I witnessed this season, the batter was awarded 1st base after a third strike got away from the catcher. On both instance the umpires cited that the runner at first was stealing, thus 1st base was no longer occupied. I am not trying to down any local umpires because for the most part they do a fine job. However, whoever is over the local umpires needs to communicate with the umpiring crew the correct application of this rule.

Another rule that I see repeatedly violated and not called deals with how 1st basemen hold runners on base. Time and time again I see 1st basemen straddling the bag when holding runners on and having one or both feet in foul territory. This is "Balk" situation. The only player allowed to be in foul territory prior to the pitch being delivered is the catcher. The 1st basemane and 3rd Basemen cannot stand in fould territory prior to the pitch being delivered. Once the ball is pitched they are free to go where they want. Prior to the pitch they must be in fair territory.

Another rule I see repeatedly violated is the pitcher taking signs from the catcher while not on the rubber. I have less problem with this rule violation than the two previous, but nonetheless it is a rule violation.

Another rule I have seen violated is the coach going out to tall to the pitcher each inning just after the warmups throws are completed and ball is being thrown down to second and passed around the infield. I my experience, this is a visit. Coaches do not get 7 visits per game per pitcher.

I have not witnessed any of these violations affecting the outcomes of any games this season.

superblue
All Conference

Re: Baseball Rule Violations

Post by superblue »

"On two separate occasions this season, two different umpiring crews did not correctly call the rule application".... So this means we have at least 4 umpires who do not know the rules...... Its amazing these umpires go to all theses rules meeting and still do not know the rules... I can understand getting confused about some game situations that rarely occur but this is a basic rule and should be understood.... As a coach the only thing that you can do is ask the umpire to look the rule up or look it up yourself and show the umpire between innings... Were these umpires veterans or rookies?

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

After reading this, I guess I am confused. Some rules are more important than others and should be enforced? The rules that don't really offend coaches don't need to be called because they really aren't that important? I always thought umpires were supposed to enforce the rules and not judge which ones are important enough to be enforced.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:After reading this, I guess I am confused. Some rules are more important than others and should be enforced? The rules that don't really offend coaches don't need to be called because they really aren't that important? I always thought umpires were supposed to enforce the rules and not judge which ones are important enough to be enforced.
I can't speak for RHMS but I am not saying this... This question and response is more about the umpires not knowing the rules, not which rules to enforce.. In all the above cases the umpires should have known better and enforced the rules...

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

I am just a Dad that coached my sons teams all the way up through and have watched a fair share of high school game, I know these rules! How does a "trained" umpire NOT know these? It's not a job I would ever want but come on man!?

RHMS Baseball
Waterboy

Post by RHMS Baseball »

The reason I would like to see the rules correctly enforced is that when players from Southern Ohio venture out and play higher levels of baseball they have already been exposed to baseball rules and know what to do. One of instances that I spoke of regarding the third strike being a pass ball or wild pitch 1st base occupied and less than two outs, the catcher did the right thing and threw to second base to get the runner that was attempting to steal. He instinctly knew the batter was already out and he went after the runner.

I am sure I do not know it all, however, I do know the rules of that I spoke about in an earlier post.

Just trying to start some dialogue in the area and raise awareness.

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

I know this thread is about umpiring but part of this one bothers me and it comes from the coaching side. I cannot understand coaches not knowing how to teach their first basemen how to properly hold a runner on first. I have seen a first baseman straddle the base, at lower levels, while holding a runner on base. I have watched a lot of higher level baseball (pro and college) and have never seen this done. I repeat, never. If the pros and colleges aren't doing it, then it isn't something that should be done at the senior league, middle school or high school levels. Am I wrong? A good base runner or good coach should pick up on this and when returning to the base, crowd the first baseman and hopefully send a throw down the right field line. As for the rule violation on this one, it is about 50-50. I see first basemen keep both feet in the field of play on this one about 1/2 the time so it isn't a rule violation and out of play about 1/2. Either way, bad technique in my opinion.

I see what Blindwhitehat is saying, RHMS baseball is concerned with three rule violations not being called, but has less of a problem with one of them not being called than the other three. Either you have a problem or you don't. If you feel inclined to bring it up to criticize someone, then take a stand. Don't waffle on it.

Thirdly, on this situation of rule violations not being called, was this at the middle school level? I know, some times, umpires are hard to find for middle school baseball games. The availability of umpires are at a premium for varsity and jv games and sometimes not available for middle school games or in some cases licensed high school umpires just don't want to do them. Unlicensed umpires are sometimes used for middle school games because that's all that is available. Also, brand new umpires get a lot of these games to get their feet wet. Their knowledge of the rule book may not be absolute and some of the finer points still may not be in their grasp. Unfortunately, these statements are the truth in some areas.

generalwatcher
Waterboy

Post by generalwatcher »

this may be off-track a little and if there is an area for rules questions, please move this question there. However, can someone help me with the rules concerning re-entry of the DH? I have 2 situations i need clarity on. 1: If a team has a DH (player A) hitting for second basemen (player B), and then there is ph (player C) for the DH, later in the game, can player A re-enter for player C? Situation2: Player A is dh for player B. in the game, player A reaches a base, then player B is entered to run for player A, on next at bat in game, can player A come back to bat as DH for player B again?

My initial response was Yes for situation 1 but No for situation 2 since the defensive player was entered as an offensive player when asked to run for his DH (effectively killing the DH role in the order).

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

How can a umpire say that first base was not occupied with less than 2 outs because the runner on first base was stealing?

At the start of the pitch the runner was on first base. Sure he was leading off the bag, that doesnt matter. First base was OCCUPIED at the pitch. It doesnt matter if the runner takes off for second or not.

Less than 2 outs, runner occupying first base, there is no way around the batter being out at the 3rd strike. Of course on a wild pitch in that situation the runner of 1st base is going to advance to 2nd base.

There are so few qualified umpires in the area, some schools wind up getting terrible umpires that were schedule months in advance and realize the fact when it is too late.

Dean
Freshman Team

Post by Dean »

The last time the Reds played the Cardinals, the TV announcers were talking about how both Votto and Pujols straddled the bag while holding the runner on first.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Dean wrote:The last time the Reds played the Cardinals, the TV announcers were talking about how both Votto and Pujols straddled the bag while holding the runner on first.

The inside of the bag is in fair territory. You can straddle the bag and not be in foul territory.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Bleeding Red wrote:
Dean wrote:The last time the Reds played the Cardinals, the TV announcers were talking about how both Votto and Pujols straddled the bag while holding the runner on first.

The inside of the bag is in fair territory. You can straddle the bag and not be in foul territory.
Isn't the whole bag in fair territory? You can straddle the bag while facing the runner leading off and be in a legal position. Only if you were straddling the bag facing the plate would you be in a position in which a balk should be called, correct? I am not sure why you would want to be straddling the bag while facing the plate?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Here is a good one (actually 2 good ones from the same crew)

Last Thursday at the St. Joe/Chesapeake game, there were runners on second and third, and Peake had a left handed pitcher. The pitcher kept turning his right shoulder over toward 3rd base to look at the runner without stepping off the rubber and making a throw over to 3rd. This happened several times and a balk was never called.

Later on in the same game, St Joe had runners on first and second with no outs. There was a short pop up to the second baseman, who was standing stationary under the ball and dropped it (routine fly ball to the infield). He proceeded to throw to third base for a force out, and then tried to get another force out at second, because the runners knew the rule/situation for an infield fly and was waiting on the ump to call it while the ball was in the air. HELLO? Do these monkeys know what an infield fly rule is?

People need to be able to pass a serious test before umpiring. Too many baseball rules come down to judgement, even though they are clear as a bell. Some umps just dont have a clue.

Burg#1
JV Team

Post by Burg#1 »

Bleeding Red wrote:How can a umpire say that first base was not occupied with less than 2 outs because the runner on first base was stealing?

At the start of the pitch the runner was on first base. Sure he was leading off the bag, that doesnt matter. First base was OCCUPIED at the pitch. It doesnt matter if the runner takes off for second or not.

Less than 2 outs, runner occupying first base, there is no way around the batter being out at the 3rd strike. Of course on a wild pitch in that situation the runner of 1st base is going to advance to 2nd base.

There are so few qualified umpires in the area, some schools wind up getting terrible umpires that were schedule months in advance and realize the fact when it is too late.
I am really struggling with this one but here it goes- what has happened to all of the good officials- it is so sad to see some of the officials that are making the calls (a lot off older officials) blowing the calls and not realizing it- i know that we have not seen good officiating at all this season other than just a few, it is not right for the players playing the game and the AD's need to pay attention and quit scheduling these umpires- if it takes bringing some in from out of the area then lets do it.It does seem that some of the good umps have jumped over to softball- please come back!!!

yellowjacket
Freshman Team

Post by yellowjacket »

heres what happened in the meigs and eastern game tonight. meigs had a runner on 2nd base the batter hit the ball to the fence and gets a triple after the play was over he called a balk on the play and put the runner back on 3rd and the batter back to the plate.that would be the right call but you dont wait until the play is over before you call balk,if it was a balk,he was the only one who saw it i know if a coach sees a balk he is yelling balk at the time and noone said anything.i have seen this umpire many times and he is always trying to putthe attention on him instead of the players.

RHMS Baseball
Waterboy

Post by RHMS Baseball »

Vision Quest did you read my post or did your just read Blindwhitehats post and reply making comments about my post. At no juncture in my post did I say that I had less on a problem with one rule other the others. I said all should be called. Actually read my post then make a comment directed to me.

RHMS Baseball
Waterboy

Post by RHMS Baseball »

Votto and Pujols do not straddle bag when holding runners on base. Their right foot is on the inside part of the bag. Additionally, they a little off the line toward the runner in an attempt to make a tag on the runners legs before they dive back into the bag. It only appear from a distance they are straddling the bag because the face the pitcher with their chest squared up to the pitcher in the position I mentioned earlier.

RHMS Baseball
Waterboy

Post by RHMS Baseball »

Blindwhitehat, your dad was an excellent umpire. He probably umpired over half the high school games I have ever played. He and his crew never made such mistakes.

RHMS Baseball
Waterboy

Post by RHMS Baseball »

Vision Quest, I did not so-called "waffle" on anything. Whatever "waffle" means. I do like waffles for breakfast though.

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

RHMS Baseball wrote:Another rule I see repeatedly violated is the pitcher taking signs from the catcher while not on the rubber. I have less problem with this rule violation than the two previous, but nonetheless it is a rule violation.
I quoted the part with the issue. You have less of a problem with the pitcher taking signs while not on the rubber. That is the crux of my reference. Take a stand. You have more of a problem with the first two violations than the third. Either have a problem with it or not.

Waffle (verb)-to yo-yo, flip-flop.

I'm not much for waffles, but give me a stack of pancakes and I'm a happy camper. :)

Return to “Baseball”