Chillicothe Regional

nice guy
Varsity

Chillicothe Regional

Post by nice guy »

Word is that it may be moved because Marion Elgin is complaining that they cannot wear spikes at the VA.
OHSAA is suppose to rule on Tuesday morning.

free safety
Riding the Bench

Re: Chillicothe Regional

Post by free safety »

That would be a shame on OHSAA if they allow one team change the site of the regional games because of them saying they cant wear spikes, the other teams cant wear spikes also so it is an even match up.

If they change it then if I am a big slow running team in football then they should say they dont want to play a playoff game on turf, they want to play on grass and the mud....etc

Paint stadium and the Staff has been so good to all southern ohio teams and a great atmosphere to play.

Also there is a chance of rain on Thursday.....

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

I can't see them changing it this year, but I can see people's gripe about it. I love the VA and I love everything they do for high school baseball. This is not their fault at all, but it's the nature of the beast. You play all season in your spikes and are comfortable in them. You get to this point in the season where competition is at an all time high and you're forced to switch it up? Granted...both teams have to do it, but I know I wouldn't be comfortable playing in tennis shoes and some kids can't afford to go out and buy a pair of turf shoes for one or two games. Like I said, I don't blame the Paints' staff at all. They have to enforce the no spikes rule because of the warranty on the turf, but it does create an element of unfamiliarity for the teams that I'd rather not see at this level. I would hate to see a team full of kids with tennis shoes lose to a team of kids that have turf cleats...Chances are, it won't make a difference, but if a shortstop goes deep in the hole, plants his back foot, and slips? That would be a crappy way to lose the game. Also, I can see this making a difference on pitchers slipping on the mound. Sounds petty, but I can see the argument from both sides.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I wore the same pair of underwear all season my senior year - no way in hell I would change my cleats/shoes for a game!!!!

lol

theburgtheword
Varsity

Post by theburgtheword »

We played four games at the VA this year. No problems.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Had to know this argument would be coming from someone. I gotta think if OHSAA moves these games, this will be the last we see of Regionals at the VA and maybe even last of District tournaments there as well.*

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

The Wheelersburg-Adena game will be played at the VA at 2pm on Thursday. Who knows about the other game?

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

per the ohsaa website, marion elgin game will be at ohio state

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Any word on the Regional Final then? And does this change the start time for Adena/Burg? Might as well make it 5 now.

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

adena/burg still listed for a 2 pm start

regional final says site and time TBA

For the Kids
Freshman Team

Post by For the Kids »

The Paints should let them where spikes for the Regionals. They are going to lose some concession money.

PinchRunner1
Waterboy

Post by PinchRunner1 »

Most of our boys wore their football/soccer cleats. As long as they're not metal tipped they are fine to wear. But I agree, it isn't fair to change the site for one team when everyone else had to follow the rules.

RoadMan
Riding the Bench

Post by RoadMan »

Sounds like a case of the tail wagging the dog. I would guess the OHSAA was well aware of the VA's new rules for the turf when they decided to hold district and regional games there. Stay tuned, maybe if Elgin wins Bellaire can have a judge issue an injunction due to unfair playing conditions - as maybe they didn't play any games on artificial surfaces this year so this puts them at a disadvantage...or perhaps it is unfair for Bellaire to travel so much further than Elgin, maybe the sun was in their eyes, the list of possibilities and excuses goes on and on...

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

It is called when the Central District cries, the OHSAA must take care of them.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Let me just say this, I wouldve played barefoot if I was able to play in a venue like VA Paints Stadium.
My team played there twice and I saw 3 other games there, never saw any issues with players.

Also, Ohio State's field is turf too. Do they have the No Spike Rule there?
Both Games should be played at the same venue, so coaches have an opportunity to scout other team. JMO! Yes Baseball Coaches do scout other teams. :122245

free safety
Riding the Bench

Post by free safety »

So if Elgin wins and the Burg wins the game will be in Columbus sounds about right make the southern team travel 2hrs and the central team travel maybe half hour and if Adena wins its still lopsided

Again so now if a football team makes the playoffs they can have the game moved to grass if they havent played on turf all year. Fair is Fair

theburgtheword
Varsity

Post by theburgtheword »

You can play with metal spikes at Bill Davis Stadium.

oldschoolwebgem
Waterboy

Post by oldschoolwebgem »

I know there have been many complaints about other venues that hosted regionals in the past. These venues are still being used so for this game to be changed it just dont make sense. The VA is one of the finest in the area and should be used as much as possible IMO

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Once again the OHSAA has inserted mouth and put in foot. I believe like is being said, this will open a huge can of worms in the future and also like was said, If Elgin wins, where do they play the regional final?

This could be a huge lawsuit in the making. If I'm Burg or Adena, I stand my ground and refuse to play anywhere but Paints stadium. That is the venue that has been used forever and it shouldn't change

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

RoadMan wrote:Sounds like a case of the tail wagging the dog. I would guess the OHSAA was well aware of the VA's new rules for the turf when they decided to hold district and regional games there. Stay tuned, maybe if Elgin wins Bellaire can have a judge issue an injunction due to unfair playing conditions - as maybe they didn't play any games on artificial surfaces this year so this puts them at a disadvantage...or perhaps it is unfair for Bellaire to travel so much further than Elgin, maybe the sun was in their eyes, the list of possibilities and excuses goes on and on...

The SE District, not the OHSAA, handles district games and scheduling.

Return to “Baseball”