Wheelersburg's Derek Moore

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Wheelersburg's Derek Moore

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I've had the pleasure of knowing this young man since the day he was born. Not only is he a great pitcher but also a fine young man and role model to all the young kids in Wheelersburg.

Now my rant-How in hades is he only 2nd team all state??????? He not only helped the Pirates in getting back to back state titles but also his careers numbers are better than anyone, any division over the last 4 years. Shoot, probably the last 50 years. Came in today and shut down BC after they had got runners to 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. With Burg scoring 2 runs in the bottom of the 7th that got him win number 36 to make him 36 and 0 in his career, which broke the state record for consecutive wins of 32 in a row that was set back in 1956-1959, by Dean Chance, a hall of fame pitcher.

Also, I believe he broke the state record of consecutive innings pitched without giving up an earned run. More to follow on that. I'm going to try my best to put his accomplishments and stats in the Faces in the Crowd section of Sports Illustrated. He is much deserving of that honor.

Not sure who votes on the all-state teams but they sure blew that one this year.

courier
All Conference

Re: Wheelersburg's Derek Moore

Post by courier »

I'm not a burg grad or fan but am an avid supporter of Scioto County teams...This is an injustice to the young man.....I'm sure he'd rather have the state titles vs the individual accolades but by golly his record speaks for itself...There isn't a pitcher in Southern Ohio more worthy of an individual award!

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

I agree with your basic premise, but Moore came in to today's game with no out and a runner on 1st, rather than 1st and 2nd and 1 out.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

you want to know what happened contact me I will not put it on a website for all to see.
For the record, The SE district voters did infact vote for him 1st team.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Bengalfan, I believe that you did vote for him and all of burg thanks you. You can not tell me that all the other clowns that voted do not know who he is. He has pitched in 3 straight final fours.

It is a travesty that he was voted 2nd team all state. The first team representative couldn't hold a candle to Derek.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Derek is a Great competitor, great pitcher!
He will make a college coach very happy with his work ethic and leadership qualities. But I will add this. 10 years from now people will not remember 1st team all state , 2 nd team all state or any other individual awards, but what people will remember is back to back state championships. Example. When burg won in 1996, who was 1 st team? Who was player of the year? Who was nfl MVP three yrs ago? Who won the cy young five yrs ago?

Derek did make the mizuno all ohio series which starts Friday at ohio state.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

baseball16 wrote:Derek is a Great competitor, great pitcher!
He will make a college coach very happy with his work ethic and leadership qualities. But I will add this. 10 years from now people will not remember 1st team all state , 2 nd team all state or any other individual awards, but what people will remember is back to back state championships. Example. When burg won in 1996, who was 1 st team? Who was player of the year? Who was nfl MVP three yrs ago? Who won the cy young five yrs ago?

Derek did make the mizuno all ohio series which starts Friday at ohio state.
I would take back to back state titles over any individual awards and I'm sure Derek wouldn't trade his two titles rings for an award.

Anyone who saw him over his career know how good of a competitor he is and how good of a pitcher he is. I'll miss watching him compete and wish him well at the next level.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I can understand being upset but, This young man has a couple state titles for his mantle and he will go on to have a fine college career where he will gain an education and since he is so used to bring successful he will go on to have a great life.

I just don't see him not making first team all state keeping him up at night...

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

The truth is the team could have lost in a regional and Burg not even make the final four and D Moore wouldnt have that 2nd ring . My point being regardless of the team winning or losing the state title this is a major , major screw job . If they are going to be that political and this stupid they def should consider going to some other way of voting . there is no defending this lack of reward for this kid. none. The softball votes for district and SOC are just as bad . makes a joke out of the whole process and the level of absurdity takes away from the kids who did make it .

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

36-0 with two state championships is about as impressive as I have seen. Congrats!

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

Every year this happens with Burg players. Ask the coaching staff why they do not send out information across the state? Then, you may get the answer. Sources tell me that everything is voted on right after the regular season. Voting coaches in Northern Ohio don't know a player's stats from Southern Ohio if no info is sent to them.

burggrad1986
Riding the Bench

Post by burggrad1986 »

Southern Ohio should be used to it by now.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Its voters in your own SEO district that decide all state or not .

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

Some in Southern Ohio. Maybe 4 or 5. I am sure they voted him first team, but there are around 40 I am told across the state. Some don't know a Burg player from Fred Flintstone if they are not sent info.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

The determination for all state is done at the local level when the district draw is set , or close to that time . So ONLY teams in Burgs district decide. Not from all over ohio.

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

You have no clue.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

ManitouDan wrote:The determination for all state is done at the local level when the district draw is set , or close to that time . So ONLY teams in Burgs district decide. Not from all over ohio.
No. You could not get voted All District and still be All Ohio. Coaches from around the state vote on players who are nominated by their coach or if another coach does it for them. For some reason, I doubt the district coaches (31 of them) would have picked 4 SVC players to represent them in the All Ohio voting, you would've seen an SHAC or TVC kid in D3 as well.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

In other sports such as basketball and football Manitou is correct. But baseball is different.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Pol Pot wrote:In other sports such as basketball and football Manitou is correct. But baseball is different.

Football and basketball ALL state is done by AP.

jervin
Freshman Team

Post by jervin »

All Ohio baseball players are selected by poll voters across the entire state of ohio, The SE district has nothing to do with who is selected to the All- Ohio Roster

Return to “Baseball”