Eastern vs Waterford controversy

Baldeagle
Varsity

Re: Eastern vs Waterford controversy

Post by Baldeagle »

Chaw wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:59 am Btw...the catcher standing beside the coach/umpire does know what was said and he is the best friend of my son...however I am glad they stopped it in order to continue later...

Someone from Waterford claiming cheating lol
What else is new? Has anyone ever won a basketball game at Waterford?

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

That is part of the game. In my opinion, if Eastern's coach did in fact have that meeting with the umpire to try and get the darkness call, then he is doing his job well. Aren't coaches supposed to put their team in the best position to win? If that is the case, then getting them the extra time, maybe stall out the momentum that Waterford had building, then good for him.

Maybe not what Waterford wanted, but if roles had been reversed, then I would be saying the same thing about their coach. Surprised Eastern didn't try and extend the previous inning with mound visits, pitching changes, and arguing a call just to stall a bit.

Gold Blood
Waterboy

Post by Gold Blood »

Fonzie wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:44 am That is part of the game. In my opinion, if Eastern's coach did in fact have that meeting with the umpire to try and get the darkness call, then he is doing his job well. Aren't coaches supposed to put their team in the best position to win? If that is the case, then getting them the extra time, maybe stall out the momentum that Waterford had building, then good for him.

Maybe not what Waterford wanted, but if roles had been reversed, then I would be saying the same thing about their coach. Surprised Eastern didn't try and extend the previous inning with mound visits, pitching changes, and arguing a call just to stall a bit.
Couldn’t agree more.

sharpshooter
Riding the Bench

Post by sharpshooter »

swaggy7 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:26 am
Chaw wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:42 pm Nothing against Eastern and I'm not bashing them, however I do believe Waterford got screwed over on this one. I'll set the scene and you tell me.
Going into the sixth inning, Waterford trailed Eastern 3-4. Waterford was away team so they bat first and end up scoring 3 runs to make it 6-4. Now I'm not accusing collusion by Eastern, but before their turn at bat I noticed the coach/ manager have a lengthy discussion with the umpires while Waterford pitcher was warming up and really thought nothing of it. Waterford got two quick outs and the third batter stepped to the plate and proceeded to amass a 1-2 count. Meaning one more strike and the inning was over. After the batter swings and misses for his second strike the umpire calls time and decided that it was too dark to continue. ?????? The time was 7:28.
Not very dark at all at that time. Waterford played a game two nights before that lasted until 7:50.
So the game was suspended. My understanding is that if Waterford got the third out. ( One more strike) the game would have been considered a completed game. Waterford wins. Now the game is suspended and we play another inning. I suppose that if the shoe was on the other foot then I would agree to suspend. However, the coach talking to the umpires before their turn at bat sounds very fishy. The catcher from Waterford was standing beside the coach/ umpire exchange when they were talking and said it was about how dark it was getting. So what do you think?
COLLUSION or NO COLLUSION??
😂😂🤔🤔🤔🤔
Cry me a river.
One. Pitch. Very fishy. Probably a Eastern player^^

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Fonzie wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:44 am That is part of the game. In my opinion, if Eastern's coach did in fact have that meeting with the umpire to try and get the darkness call, then he is doing his job well. Aren't coaches supposed to put their team in the best position to win? If that is the case, then getting them the extra time, maybe stall out the momentum that Waterford had building, then good for him.

What does it accomplish to make your team better? It's bush league. They couldn't hold a lead, so the adult came in and bailed them out by stalling? I didn't go to either school, but it sounds pretty bush league to me.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Boys and girls, I have played a hellava lot of baseball in my time at many levels.

Never seen a game stopped for darkness while there was a batter in the box.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

efarns wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:13 am

What does it accomplish to make your team better? It's bush league. They couldn't hold a lead, so the adult came in and bailed them out by stalling? I didn't go to either school, but it sounds pretty bush league to me.
We can agree to disagree. I've coach many levels of baseball, and I have seen Hall of Fame coaches do this same thing. I don't see any difference in what happened, and taking a mound visit to try and break up a teams momentum at the plate. I believe you're doing your job as a coach if you give your guys a chance to win. You can call it bailing them out, I call it coaching. I did not attend either school either. I have no dog in the fight, other than a love of the game of baseball.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

The same problem as the uniform color controversy at the Convo at the district basketball tourney. The official took the bait on a suggestion that he should not have even entertained.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

There’s really nothing that doesn’t make it sound shady. Nothing.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

sounds like a good thing to do in a close ballgame, square away the books pick up where you left off at the other teams field. let the kids play 7 innings

Jimbo
Waterboy

Post by Jimbo »

Stalling? like by throwing excessive unnecessary pickoff attempts, and making mound visit for no reason? was that easterns coach or waterfords? heard it happened. those answers will show the real culprit in this case. definitely agree its bush league whoever it was

swaggy7
Waterboy

Post by swaggy7 »

sharpshooter wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:55 am
swaggy7 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:26 am
Chaw wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:42 pm Nothing against Eastern and I'm not bashing them, however I do believe Waterford got screwed over on this one. I'll set the scene and you tell me.
Going into the sixth inning, Waterford trailed Eastern 3-4. Waterford was away team so they bat first and end up scoring 3 runs to make it 6-4. Now I'm not accusing collusion by Eastern, but before their turn at bat I noticed the coach/ manager have a lengthy discussion with the umpires while Waterford pitcher was warming up and really thought nothing of it. Waterford got two quick outs and the third batter stepped to the plate and proceeded to amass a 1-2 count. Meaning one more strike and the inning was over. After the batter swings and misses for his second strike the umpire calls time and decided that it was too dark to continue. ?????? The time was 7:28.
Not very dark at all at that time. Waterford played a game two nights before that lasted until 7:50.
So the game was suspended. My understanding is that if Waterford got the third out. ( One more strike) the game would have been considered a completed game. Waterford wins. Now the game is suspended and we play another inning. I suppose that if the shoe was on the other foot then I would agree to suspend. However, the coach talking to the umpires before their turn at bat sounds very fishy. The catcher from Waterford was standing beside the coach/ umpire exchange when they were talking and said it was about how dark it was getting. So what do you think?
COLLUSION or NO COLLUSION??
😂😂🤔🤔🤔🤔
Cry me a river.
One. Pitch. Very fishy. Probably a Eastern player^^
You know whats very fishy is the fact that you spend all your energy calling out a kid. Your probably one of those parents that yells at other kids.

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

And, who always said "Waterford has the ref's and UMP'S in their pockets"? Not this time folks.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

I understand that both the conclusion of this game and the full regular game at Waterford has been rescheduled for today. Are they going to start before 5pm to have a better chance to get both games thru the full 7 innings, or extras if it comes to that? If so, what is the expected starting time?

Gold Blood
Waterboy

Post by Gold Blood »

mhs95_06 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:13 am I understand that both the conclusion of this game and the full regular game at Waterford has been rescheduled for today. Are they going to start before 5pm to have a better chance to get both games thru the full 7 innings, or extras if it comes to that? If so, what is the expected starting time?
Not correct. The second game will be played today at Waterford. The conclusion of the prior game will be completed at Eastern on Friday with a JV game to follow the 1 1/3 innings of Varsity.

Meagle
Freshman Team

Post by Meagle »

Eastern 18
Waterford 12

Chaw
Freshman Team

Post by Chaw »

So you're not going to tell the whole story???
18- 12 ....called AFTER the 6 inning due to darkness...I bet your not going to say they should play 7 innings now are you...such BS...They should finish this game on Friday also...

Chaw
Freshman Team

Post by Chaw »

If the first game should continue then so should the second... difference in the two games is one strike!!!...settle them both in 7 innings....

Gold Blood
Waterboy

Post by Gold Blood »

Chaw wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 pm So you're not going to tell the whole story???
18- 12 ....called AFTER the 6 inning due to darkness...I bet your not going to say they should play 7 innings now are you...such BS...They should finish this game on Friday also...
Look at the rule book. It’s all there.

Meagle
Freshman Team

Post by Meagle »

I was not at the game, only heard the score. Seems you are just looking for an argument. With the points you make, might I suggest OHSAA.

Return to “Baseball”