SEOPS HOF

Re: 5/30 Southern v Newark Catholic

Post by Raider6309 »

Should be a good one. Both beat Athens

on the black
Freshman Team

Post by on the black »

Result of this game not surprising at all since southern came out of the weakest bracket in the state and probably the weakest bracket I’ve seen in 20+ years. Clay was an absolute joke as a 1 seed.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Pretty good team met team that’ll be playing for a state title, per usual.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

on the black wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:27 pm Result of this game not surprising at all since southern came out of the weakest bracket in the state and probably the weakest bracket I’ve seen in 20+ years. Clay was an absolute joke as a 1 seed.
Worst comment ever.
Southern outplayed NC in 5 of the 7 innings and had to do so with a horrible inconsistent umpire. I hope it makes you feel good to put down kids.

on the black
Freshman Team

Post by on the black »

TVC wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:06 pm
on the black wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:27 pm Result of this game not surprising at all since southern came out of the weakest bracket in the state and probably the weakest bracket I’ve seen in 20+ years. Clay was an absolute joke as a 1 seed.
Worst comment ever.
Southern outplayed NC in 5 of the 7 innings and had to do so with a horrible inconsistent umpire. I hope it makes you feel good to put down kids.
What really makes me feel good is when I put down your Mrs;)

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Worst comment ever.
No they didn’t.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

formerfcfan wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:08 am

Worst comment ever.
No they didn’t.
Please enlighten us how outhitting and out scoring a team 6-1 in the final 5 innings is not outplaying them in 5 of the 7 innings. Maybe I was listening to the wrong game

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

It doesn’t matter how good of a rally (was still not even close to comeback position) you can put together — you spot a team 11 runs in your first six outs and it means nothing. Who cares that Southern out hit and out-scored NC after that? Southern deserves credit for gaming it out, but they were not one of the region’s best four teams and it showed last night. Yet another year where the D4 SE district benefits from having the most number of schools! Best five teams regionally were in the Central and East, as it usually is.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Agree to disagree. I feel they are definitely one of the regions top teams and it showed yesterday.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Fair enough! We can both agree that they have nothing to hang their heads over and that they represented their community and the TVC with pride and good sportsmanship. It’s always an accomplishment to make it to Beavers.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Congrats to both teams for making it as far as you did. Both played who was on the field against them to get to the point of this game.
Both teams deserved to be in this game I.M.O.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Toronto is smoking NC tonight. The Red Knights looked great last night, so I’m not too surprised.

THE_MOOSE_IS_LOOSE
Riding the Bench

Post by THE_MOOSE_IS_LOOSE »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:42 pm Toronto is smoking NC tonight. The Red Knights looked great last night, so I’m not too surprised.
Couldn’t agree more Dani.... The regional final was played a few weeks back when Hiland & Toronto linked up in districts 8-)

I’ve had a hard time listening to the central fans bashing d4 baseball in the southeast district, not just in this forum but over the years. Did everyone forget about Whiteoak last year? They were no fluke, but had to face Greer who was one of the best hurlers across all divisions last year. Look around at the recent success of southeast district (D2,D3,D4) in the last 10 years and you’ll see baseball is on the rise... big time.

Congrats to Southern and Huntington-Ross on representing us well. Baseball is a funny game, and you can’t compare scores from matchup to matchup.... but what you can do is look at how SE district does more with less. Go ahead and cut Southern and Huntington’s boys number in half because half of their students come below the poverty line... just like a TON of school districts in SE Ohio. Now compare those enrollment number to the recruiting of the Christian and catholic schools. Home grown talent vs contructed talent/free agency. Unless you’re from southern Ohio/Appalachia then it’ll be hard to truly understand the differences. Competitive balance has a long way to go...

Just wondering, how many students at Fisher Cath and Newark Cath receive free/reduced lunch?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

THE_MOOSE_IS_LOOSE wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:11 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:42 pm Toronto is smoking NC tonight. The Red Knights looked great last night, so I’m not too surprised.
Couldn’t agree more Dani.... The regional final was played a few weeks back when Hiland & Toronto linked up in districts 8-)
I said in another thread that the regional final was NC/FC as a figure of hyperbole as a rhetorical device. Toronto or Hiland was still the favorite, and this Toronto team is perhaps one of the best ever to come through our region’s history.
I’ve had a hard time listening to the central fans bashing d4 baseball in the southeast district, not just in this forum but over the years. Did everyone forget about Whiteoak last year? They were no fluke, but had to face Greer who was one of the best hurlers across all divisions last year.
It’s not just us central fans, it’s the fans from the east district too. I’m reluctant to frame it as “bashing”, but I am of course biased. See it from our perspective, one formed over the course of 15+ years of seeing the same results over and over again. Definitely did not forget about Whiteoak, that was an incredible team who could’ve reached regional finals in D3 that year also. At the same time, they’re also the only D4 SE district team to have won a regional since 2000 I believe. It’s not a matter of the D4 SE being a bad district so much as one that isn’t as deep of regional-final caliber teams as the Central and East districts, yet has more representation at the regional level simply because there’s more schools in the SE district. It won’t change, and it shouldn’t either. The way I see it, with an opinion formed by my general knowledge of area baseball, the stats and results before me, and data used to make informed guesses when it comes to cross-comparisons in-and-out of district play: there were four very good central district teams of equal caliber (a caliber I, myself, am inclined to think was stronger than who came out the SE but less than who came out the East) at the top and they chopped each other down until one emerged victorious in incredible fashion. Any of those other three would’ve been quite worthy of a regional spot, but alas only one made it out. Not unlike the Hiland/Toronto semi-final. Two of those four teams I'm referring to are also public schools, for what it’s worth.
Congrats to Southern and Huntington-Ross on representing us well. Baseball is a funny game, and you can’t compare scores from matchup to matchup.... but what you can do is look at how SE district does more with less. Go ahead and cut Southern and Huntington’s boys number in half because half of their students come below the poverty line... just like a TON of school districts in SE Ohio. Now compare those enrollment number to the recruiting of the Christian and catholic schools. Home grown talent vs contructed talent/free agency.Unless you’re from southern Ohio/Appalachia then it’ll be hard to truly understand the differences. Competitive balance has a long way to go...

Just wondering, how many students at Fisher Cath and Newark Cath receive free/reduced lunch?
Didn’t Eastern literally receive a transfer last year from Meigs, a great baseball player, because, as his dad even said on here, “so he could play baseball there?”

Also, I call bull on your recruiting claim with NC/FC.

Return to “Baseball”