2020 SOC II

bunt pirate
Freshman Team

2020 SOC II

Post by bunt pirate »

Just posted a few thoughts on the Wheelersburg thread, so figured I’d share them again here and see what the league has in store this year. Burg and Minford will battle up top again, but don’t count Waverly out either. Should be a more balanced league this year with Burg and Minford losing some core pieces.

Top 3:

Wheelersburg - lost some nice players to graduation (Miller, Mullins, Carter just to name a few off top of head) but the depth in talent the program provides will limit too much of a drop off. Year 2 for Moore should be business as usual. Return a nice catcher and solid stable of pitchers who can get guys out behind that always solid pirate defense.

Minford - lost 4-5 seniors I believe. Lost the best catcher in the league in Lindamood and nice arm in Lauder among others . But like Burg they have talent waiting and a real nice freshman coming in that’ll make immediate impacts (Crank). Not to mention the Vogelsong kid returning as I think a Junior. They’ll be in the running for sure.

Waverly - lost a few but always reload on talent quickly. Eblin will more than likely be the best pitcher in the league this year right up there with Vogelsong. This may be the year the tigers are back on top.

The rest of the league (seen some play but don’t have a ton of info about these guys):

West - always have kids who love the game and return some nice pieces. Powell kid throws as hard as anyone in the league. Added the new indoor facility so I’m sure that’ll pay immediate dividends

Valley - lost a couple really nice players in Cunningham and Jones, but I think they’ll surprise some people this year. They aren’t down for long usually.

Oak Hill - lost a couple big bats in Lahrmer (spelling?) and
clutters. Not sure of what they return but it seems they have a lot of guys in the program.

South Webster - either had 1 senior or no seniors last year and showed at times they could compete with anyone. Not really sure what to expect from them.

Northwest - struggled last year and I’m not sure who they lost to graduation. Would love to see them get back to competing like they did years ago.

Eastern Pike - new to SOC 2 this year. I really have no idea what to expect, but they always have some nice athletes on the basketball court.

MClaw
Freshman Team

Re: 2020 SOC II

Post by MClaw »

Good post. Looking forward to this season.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

bunt pirate wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:21 pm Just posted a few thoughts on the Wheelersburg thread, so figured I’d share them again here and see what the league has in store this year. Burg and Minford will battle up top again, but don’t count Waverly out either. Should be a more balanced league this year with Burg and Minford losing some core pieces.

Top 3:

Wheelersburg - lost some nice players to graduation (Miller, Mullins, Carter just to name a few off top of head) but the depth in talent the program provides will limit too much of a drop off. Year 2 for Moore should be business as usual. Return a nice catcher and solid stable of pitchers who can get guys out behind that always solid pirate defense.

Minford - lost 4-5 seniors I believe. Lost the best catcher in the league in Lindamood and nice arm in Lauder among others . But like Burg they have talent waiting and a real nice freshman coming in that’ll make immediate impacts (Crank). Not to mention the Vogelsong kid returning as I think a Junior. They’ll be in the running for sure.

Waverly - lost a few but always reload on talent quickly. Eblin will more than likely be the best pitcher in the league this year right up there with Vogelsong. This may be the year the tigers are back on top.

The rest of the league (seen some play but don’t have a ton of info about these guys):

West - always have kids who love the game and return some nice pieces. Powell kid throws as hard as anyone in the league. Added the new indoor facility so I’m sure that’ll pay immediate dividends

Valley - lost a couple really nice players in Cunningham and Jones, but I think they’ll surprise some people this year. They aren’t down for long usually.

clutters. Not sure of what they return but it seems they have a lot of guys in the program.

South Webster - either had 1 senior or no seniors last year and showed at times they could compete with anyone. Not really sure what to expect from them.

Northwest - struggled last year and I’m not sure who they lost to graduation. Would love to see them get back to competing like they did years ago.

Eastern Pike - new to SOC 2 this year. I really have no idea what to expect, but they always have some nice athletes on the basketball court.
Northwest will be really young. Several games last year they started 4 or 5 freshmen. This year they add freshman Dakota Secrest who is a stud. Haven't seen it but been told he is national ranked in his age group.

NW97
Freshman Team

Post by NW97 »

BigBlueNation wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:08 pm
bunt pirate wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:21 pm Just posted a few thoughts on the Wheelersburg thread, so figured I’d share them again here and see what the league has in store this year. Burg and Minford will battle up top again, but don’t count Waverly out either. Should be a more balanced league this year with Burg and Minford losing some core pieces.

Top 3:

Northwest will be really young. Several games last year they started 4 or 5 freshmen. This year they add freshman Dakota Secrest who is a stud. Haven't seen it but been told he is national ranked in his age group.
It's just a shame Northwest doesnt have more of their athletes playing baseball. The 8th grade team from last year had a successful winning season, but yet only 4 are playing as freshmen. And Seacrest wasnt even on that team. Seems that kids are convinced to focus on a failed football program that is going nowhere.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

NW97 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:13 amIt's just a shame Northwest doesnt have more of their athletes playing baseball. The 8th grade team from last year had a successful winning season, but yet only 4 are playing as freshmen. And Seacrest wasnt even on that team. Seems that kids are convinced to focus on a failed football program that is going nowhere.
You have to remember they have one of the best boys track teams in the area. They were District champs, with over 50 boys on the track team and several regional and state qualifiers.

NW97
Freshman Team

Post by NW97 »

4thgoal wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:14 pm
NW97 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:13 amIt's just a shame Northwest doesnt have more of their athletes playing baseball. The 8th grade team from last year had a successful winning season, but yet only 4 are playing as freshmen. And Seacrest wasnt even on that team. Seems that kids are convinced to focus on a failed football program that is going nowhere.
You have to remember they have one of the best boys track teams in the area. They were District champs, with over 50 boys on the track team and several regional and state qualifiers.
That is a good point

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

NW97 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:13 am

Top 3:

It's just a shame Northwest doesnt have more of their athletes playing baseball. The 8th grade team from last year had a successful winning season, but yet only 4 are playing as freshmen. And Seacrest wasnt even on that team. Seems that kids are convinced to focus on a failed football program that is going nowhere.
Some kids do other things. My son had a choice to play travel basketball or baseball and he picked basketball. I believe a couple of the freshman that are not playing baseball decided to play travel basketball also.

Mohawk Football
Waterboy

Post by Mohawk Football »

Top 3:

I can assure you that the football staff has not discouraged ANY football guy from playing baseball. I was a 4 year Baseball guy who would love nothing more than to see the program back to where it was when I played, (or better) and who wants to see as many multi-sport athletes as possible. I want ALL Northwest students and sports teams to be as successful as possible. As far as the failed football program you speak of, although we obviously don’t have your support that is fine, we don’t do what we do for you, we do what we do for the kids and TRUE MOHAWKS, who love the district. Naysayers are what motivates guys like us! We are working year round now, so great things are coming! Go BLUE!

bunt pirate
Freshman Team

Post by bunt pirate »

I think what’s sad is that a lot of kids just don’t understand/appreciate the traditions and history of their schools. The pride is almost non-existent when it comes to “carrying the torch” for those that came before them. My point (with all the talk about Northwest) is that I doubt many of these current Mohawks truly understand and appreciate the program that was built by Dennis Hegarty years ago. When i think Northwest baseball that’s who i think of... and I’m not even from there.

NW97
Freshman Team

Post by NW97 »

Mohawk Football wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:40 pm
I can assure you that the football staff has not discouraged ANY football guy from playing baseball. I was a 4 year Baseball guy who would love nothing more than to see the program back to where it was when I played, (or better) and who wants to see as many multi-sport athletes as possible. I want ALL Northwest students and sports teams to be as successful as possible. As far as the failed football program you speak of, although we obviously don’t have your support that is fine, we don’t do what we do for you, we do what we do for the kids and TRUE MOHAWKS, who love the district. Naysayers are what motivates guys like us! We are working year round now, so great things are coming! Go BLUE!
I was hearing the opposite, that football staff was influencing kids away from baseball so that they could lift in the off season, but maybe theres some misinformation floating around. I would love to see Northwest football succeed, dont get me wrong there. And my comments weren't an indictment on the current staff or players, but that program has never been flourishing. If you read the football forum it's the laughing stock, people point out how they're in a conference they have no business being in, when in fact, they haven't even won an outright championship there. What will happen when they move back to SOC2 in a couple years?

NW97
Freshman Team

Post by NW97 »

Sorry for getting this topic off the rails, back to baseball

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

Baseball was a beast when ALL, or at least several of the area coaches were working "together" to make the sport competitive. I know it's probably not going to happen, (maybe) but if they all met on a monthly (at least) basis, I think the entire area would profit from it. Unfortunately most of our schools' student/athletes are declining in number, reducing the talent level for multiple sport seasons. I ask anyone who has the answer, how do we get the kids interested in extra curricular activities when we struggle to keep adults (parents) involved in their children's lives, let alone their activities?

Return to “Baseball”