Make Legion Ball Great Again

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Make Legion Ball Great Again

Post by 93Bulldog »

With the possibility of high school season being shut down, could we see an uptick in American Legion participation?

Be cool if we did, even if just for a year.

Best way to go about it is to waive the rule for high school coaches to be allowed to also coach their legion team. They should start looking into it now, and like I said, even if its just for 2020.

petesweaty
All Conference

Re: Make Legion Ball Great Again

Post by petesweaty »

How about just play high school this summer? or at least part of it.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I down to watch some games. How does it work anyway? One team per county?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

mattash wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:13 pm I down to watch some games. How does it work anyway? One team per county?
Not county, goes by the closest Legion Post that offers a team.

One year, we had two teams in Athens County, Athens and Glouster.

It's based on where you live and the distance between your home address and nearest legion Post.

If you lived in the Fed Hock school district, but are closer to the Meigs legion post, you'd play for Meigs. If you are closer to Athens post, you'd play for Athens Post 21.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

American Legion Baseball is alive and well in Ohio..where have you been? Those who want to play Summer baseball already have been.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Alive, yes?
Well, no.

American legion is nowhere close to where it was 20 years ago when every baseball player played. Travel ball has darn near killed it.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Many things aren't what they used to be 20 years ago but I can assure you it is doing just fine in OH. Ask those teams that battle each year in State and Regional titles how they are doing. Legion has certainly lost players and teams to travel ball but it is nowhere near dead as you suggest. Here are some good sites for you..let me know if American Legion Baseball is almost dead in OH:

https://chillicothebase.com/index.php/e ... H2S3xMDld8

https://www.beaversfield.com/beaversfieldhome

https://www.ohiolegion.com/programs/baseball/

https://americanlegion.sportngin.com/

Might be different in your area but these are darn good baseball teams that are made up of many first year college players and top HS players. The problem is not just travel ball taking some players away, it's the fact that there aren't as many AL chapters across the state as there was 20 years ago.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I think there’s less connection between the players and the Legion themselves, at least here in Fairfield County. Our county, not unlike others, is a huge baseball county Legion Ball is something that normally attracts the seniors who probably aren’t playing college ball.

FWIW, Legion Ball is how some of us baseball fans up here grew appreciation for the quality of baseball that’s played by the river (hello, Beverly/Lowell Post 389/750 and Pomeroy Post 39.)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I grew up within walking distance of one of the fields used for the state tournament here in Athens. I've watched more tournaments than I can count and numerous great players, even future major leaguers.

The state tournament now in Lancaster doesnt even compare. Underclassmen these days are either lifting for football, play in 7 on 7's, playing AAU basketball & summer leagues or travel baseball.

There were some great power houses who would show up to Athens every year absolutely loaded. Steubenville, Troy, Whitehouse, Napoleon, Portsmouth, Newark, Cincinnati Chambers, Elyria ... our district 8 rep, Pickerington, Lancaster and sometimes Athens were no slouches either. Beverly-Lowell too has always been very competitive over the years.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:53 pm I grew up within walking distance of one of the fields used for the state tournament here in Athens. I've watched more tournaments than I can count and numerous great players, even future major leaguers.

The state tournament now in Lancaster doesnt even compare. Underclassmen these days are either lifting for football, play in 7 on 7's, playing AAU basketball & summer leagues or travel baseball.

There were some great power houses who would show up to Athens every year absolutely loaded. Steubenville, Troy, Whitehouse, Napoleon, Portsmouth, Newark, Cincinnati Chambers, Elyria ... our district 8 rep, Pickerington, Lancaster and sometimes Athens were no slouches either. Beverly-Lowell too has always been very competitive over the years.
I'm guessing you haven't watched a game at Beaver's Field in Lancaster where the state tourney is held..there is a reason they keep going back. It's a nice turf complex with elevated seating..expanding to add an indoor complex as well. Image

In those links I shared, you'll see many of the same familiar names that are still powerhouses. It's darn good baseball.
Attachments
65421691_690046251400718_5851319150349123584_n.jpg

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Was up there two years ago.
Beavers is nice. I wasn't talking about the facilities.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Who all has teams in SEO? Lawrence county have a team?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

2020 American Legion Baseball Regionals, World Series Canceled
The American Legion
Apr 07, 2020

As the coronavirus pandemic is creating unpredictability worldwide with its duration and public health regulations and restrictions across the nation, The American Legion is facing an improbable situation.

The Americanism Commission, in consultation with National Commander James William “Bill” Oxford, announces cancellation of all 2020 American Legion Baseball national tournaments. This includes all eight Regional Tournaments and the American Legion World Series in Shelby, N.C.

Many baseball coaches are unable to complete prerequisite league play scheduled between May and July due to the closure of schools and playing facilities across the nation. In August, more than 500 players, coaches and volunteer staff are scheduled to travel and participate in eight regional tournaments and the American Legion World Series, collectively attracting thousands of fans and spectators. Many of these individuals are of a high-risk demographic.

The awarding of American Legion Baseball scholarships for 2020 have been suspended

The decision to cancel was extremely difficult but deemed necessary, first and foremost in the interest of health and safety, and in the face of uncertainty. Americanism Commission Richard Anderson noted, “These times are unparalleled. And while it is distressing to think of all those youth across the nation who are disappointed to learn of the cancellation of American Legion programs this year, it would be a much, much greater tragedy if even just one of those youth were to fall ill during a program.

“The Americanism Commission feels this is the right thing to do.”

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Doesnt say anything about state tournament though?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Won’t happen, which stinks since I played it and enjoyed it

Travel ball has taken over, which is not for the best at all

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

What travel ball teams do southern Ohio players tend to play on?

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

I am hearing that he Legion season has been cancelled.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

The Flush wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:44 am I am hearing that he Legion season has been cancelled.
Cannot speak for Ohio, but in South Carolina, which has lifted many China Flu restrictions, amateur baseball leagues at all levels are scrambling to make arrangements to salvage as much of their seasons as possible. Even the local little league 16 diamond complex was humming with practices today. It will be interesting to see if the state or county will push back since schools are out of session for the year.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Yes, cancelled...announcement made last night.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

American legion ball has been cancelled.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Baseball”