Chillicothe Gazette question

formerfcfan
SEOP

Chillicothe Gazette question

Post by formerfcfan »

What’s the story behind the Chillicothe Gazette and its recent high school sports coverage? Does the paper / Gannett (parent company) no longer have a sportswriter for the area? I’ve noticed that Tom Wilson from the Lancaster Eagle-Gazette did some basketball tournament coverage this past spring, I believe, and I’ve seen recap bylines from him and other writers employed by the parent company as well.

Anyone know anything?

(Posting this here because it’s the sport in season.)

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Chillicothe Gazette question

Post by danicalifornia »

No local sports writer. We are fortunate for when they are able to get Tom to cover games for our area.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Also, WKKJ is lost without Mike Smith.

blueskin
Riding the Bench

Post by blueskin »

Bozo wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:59 am Also, WKKJ is lost without Mike Smith.
Without question!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Local journalism has morphed because of technology and its economic fallout. The internet has killed the sports page in newspapers.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Mike Smith from WKKJ was the MVP of high school sports in Southern Ohio. The HS coverage will suffer after his retirement.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Bozo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:00 pm Mike Smith from WKKJ was the MVP of high school sports in Southern Ohio. The HS coverage will suffer after his retirement.
100% agree!

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:44 pm
Bozo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:00 pm Mike Smith from WKKJ was the MVP of high school sports in Southern Ohio. The HS coverage will suffer after his retirement.
100% agree!
I was wondering what happened to WKKJ and didn’t realize Mike Smith had retired. It has been tough getting scores on their website and the Gazette well it hasn’t been the same since the days of Derek Webb and Brock Netter.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

formerfcfan wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:43 pm What’s the story behind the Chillicothe Gazette and its recent high school sports coverage? Does the paper / Gannett (parent company) no longer have a sportswriter for the area? I’ve noticed that Tom Wilson from the Lancaster Eagle-Gazette did some basketball tournament coverage this past spring, I believe, and I’ve seen recap bylines from him and other writers employed by the parent company as well.

Anyone know anything?

(Posting this here because it’s the sport in season.)
It seems like there is no sportswriters in southern Ohio.

bone1978
Waterboy

Post by bone1978 »

Speaking from experience with "the business", the jobs don't pay enough to entice people to do them. I work in radio, and I get 50 bucks a game working alone. If it isn't a local game, I'm out!

Return to “Baseball”