Umpire shortage

Tigerhawk123
Waterboy

Umpire shortage

Post by Tigerhawk123 »

Serious shortage of umpires across the state and especially in southern Ohio. Not many people signing up and the older guys are getting out. Some games cancelled in the FAC and SHL. Some varsity games being worked by one umpire. Without umpires, the kids don't play. Sad situation. If interested, contact an umpire and they will point you in the right direction.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Umpire shortage

Post by danicalifornia »

Huge issue. I’ve only had 1 first year umpire so far in 6 games (JV). Usually at the level you see several newbies, but there just aren’t many right now, which really hurts.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

This is sad but I know some long time umpires that have left the game. The word I have gotten is it is NOT the fans or the players that have drove them to give up a game they love. The reason I have heard cited the most for their retirement is it the costs associated with being an umpire. I have heard the yearly fees for certification and training along with the cost of their gear exceeds what they earn. Now what was explained to me if they want to work a lot of games they can make a little but for the person that wants to do a couple of games a weeks it wasn't worth the trouble. Can anyone validate this or was I told a yarn?

Pete_Bell
Freshman Team

Post by Pete_Bell »

$110 for the class and around $300 for cheap gear and 1 uniform. I would say on average around $400-$500 to start. so 10 games or so to break even.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

If I’m a JV baseball player or coach or parent....I’d rather the opposing starting pitcher’s Dad call the plate than to not get to play.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:11 pm If I’m a JV baseball player or coach or parent....I’d rather the opposing starting pitcher’s Dad call the plate than to not get to play.
Yes. We just had back to back nights with one umpire and it was much better than not playing at all

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Tigerhawk123 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:19 pm Serious shortage of umpires across the state and especially in southern Ohio. Not many people signing up and the older guys are getting out. Some games cancelled in the FAC and SHL. Some varsity games being worked by one umpire. Without umpires, the kids don't play. Sad situation. If interested, contact an umpire and they will point you in the right direction.
Some need to remember this when they love to get on the other sports forums and think its fun to brag about bashing officials and such. People have been warned this was going to happen, and its only going to get worse and will be in other sports very very soon.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Fan of the youth wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:48 pm This is sad but I know some long time umpires that have left the game. The word I have gotten is it is NOT the fans or the players that have drove them to give up a game they love. The reason I have heard cited the most for their retirement is it the costs associated with being an umpire. I have heard the yearly fees for certification and training along with the cost of their gear exceeds what they earn. Now what was explained to me if they want to work a lot of games they can make a little but for the person that wants to do a couple of games a weeks it wasn't worth the trouble. Can anyone validate this or was I told a yarn?
$60 to renew your licenses, and no local associations have dues this year.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

The problems are these:

1. Pandemic reached havoc on a lot of people and officials, last year a total season was lost. No new classes and Not very many new officials as well as guys opting out for the year due to health.
2. Schools are still paying a rate from 15-20 years ago. $55-$65 for an official is just not enough. I get schools are strapped for cash but somehow they need to look at increasing this to $75 or more! You want more people, increase the pay. Simple solution. (This goes for all sports)
3. Not enough mentoring of veteran officials with younger officials. Yes there are some, but It continues to be the Good ol boys club and this squeezes out a lot of good young officials that get discouraged and quit.
4. A bunch of officials have jumped to Softball because it goes quicker. Im not too sure on this one but understand less ground to cover and it being easier on their body.
5. Spring time Sun and beautiful weather.

Tigerhawk123
Waterboy

Post by Tigerhawk123 »

baseball16 - great points. Varsity basketball pays $70 for three man crew, game is done in 90 minutes. No shortage of hoops officials. In an effort to improve umpiring, OHSAA has made it more difficult to get a license; classes are extensive. Back in the day, you passed the written test and off you went. Another OHSAA mistake was separating baseball and softball meetings. To work both, you need 8 local meetings instead of 4. Throw in a society that disrespects authority figures and younger generations that are more thin skinned - not good for the future of the game.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

Three umps at Valley for the game with Waverly.

Tigerhawk123
Waterboy

Post by Tigerhawk123 »

Tigerhawk123 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:12 pm baseball16 - great points. Varsity basketball pays $70 for three man crew, game is done in 90 minutes. No shortage of hoops officials. In an effort to improve umpiring, OHSAA has made it more difficult to get a license; classes are extensive. Back in the day, you passed the written test and off you went. Another OHSAA mistake was separating baseball and softball meetings. To work both, you need 8 local meetings instead of 4.

baseballrocks
Riding the Bench

Post by baseballrocks »

The SVC had one Varsity baseball game and two Varsity softball games postponed on Monday because of lack of umpires.
Also, at least one JV baseball game.

thebarlowbandit
All State

How could they have cancelled softball when I just read from a guru that softball was getting the baseball people because it’s faster. And I may be wrong but the SVC is by far the worse paying league around.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Schools will have to start paying more

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Raider6309 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:30 am Schools will have to start paying more
Agree

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Schools are not going to pay much more. Most don't even charge to get into baseball/softball. Especially with all the money they lost from the lack of admission last fall and winter.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

hate to see this. wish i was still able. your right better pay would help but never did it for the money. some do it because they need the extra cash

thebarlowbandit
All State

Bozo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:53 am Schools are not going to pay much more. Most don't even charge to get into baseball/softball. Especially with all the money they lost from the lack of admission last fall and winter.
Do not let schools fool you, the smart ones are getting relief fund monies that are making up for their lost tickets and in some cases to pay their coaches.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

No sense in canceling Jv games. Have coaches and/or dads do it. Call behind the picture if need be. Or shorten the game with 5 innings similar to what we do in other jv games.

Return to “Baseball”