State Tournament

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: State Tournament

Post by formerfcfan »

Does Southern only have 2 losses in the Hocking, both to Eastern?

Nuke LaLoosh
Riding the Bench

Post by Nuke LaLoosh »

Southern lost to Waterford twice also. Think they have 4 losses. I've seen most teams in the Hocking play this year and most teams in the Ohio, and on some days I have seen good baseball while on other days I have seen bad baseball. I wonder if some of it has to do with there being no baseball for an entire year for many high school kids. I'd guess some had an opportunity to play last summer but I'll bet there were many that didn't. I am seeing the same thing when I watch college baseball on TV this year. Some good, sometimes very bad.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

D4 is going to have some just awful first round games, but there should be 8 solid squads in District tournament.

Valley
Paint Valley
Huntington
Clay

And any of the teams coming from the small school TVC.

Also....when Martin pitches, SW can beat anyone. They are like 3-11 in the SOC II, but one of those wins is Minford's only loss. They could cause problems. ND is the same way.

Is there anyone in the East that could challenge the Central?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Crab's Brother wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:24 am Is there anyone in the East that could challenge the Central?
Yes. Three teams, in particular, would be the favorite over the Central (Fisher or Berne Union) in the Regional Semi-Final — Toronto, Hiland, and Shadyside.*

We have some serious arm quality and quantity. But Hiland and Shadyside are just unreal in that department. And Toronto is the defending state champions. Even without two Ohio State commits like they had in ‘19, Coach Perkins is one of the best in the game.

*I could be overstating the East’s prowess and underestimating how we stack up. We have a special team this year, possibly better than the ‘05 state runner-up (although hard to compare BESR vs BBCOR era and the slack of 16 years’ difference.) There’s goals this team’s got that aren’t easily described in simple terms. The team is confident, yet not arrogant. One game at a time & the cards will fall where they may...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Toronto and Hiland are typically outstanding. That district will be ridiculous, especially if there are more teams besides Shadyside that can push them as well

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:53 am Toronto and Hiland are typically outstanding. That district will be ridiculous, especially if there are more teams besides Shadyside that can push them as well
Yeah — when I saw they were coming south and not going north this year I groaned! Gotta play them sometime, though. They’re not just going to magically disappear from the tournament.

Fourth team could be Malvern? IDK. That district is also notorious for some hijinks like teams “jumping” on others and slotting in to play earlier than the seeds would make necessary.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Crab's Brother wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:24 am D4 is going to have some just awful first round games, but there should be 8 solid squads in District tournament.

Valley
Paint Valley
Huntington
Clay

Also....when Martin pitches, SW can beat anyone. They are like 3-11 in the SOC II, but one of those wins is Minford's only loss. They could cause problems. ND is the same way.

Martin pitched against Wheelersburg a couple weeks ago and lost 20-1 including two homeruns hit off of the Jeeps squad.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:57 am
danicalifornia wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:53 am Toronto and Hiland are typically outstanding. That district will be ridiculous, especially if there are more teams besides Shadyside that can push them as well
Yeah — when I saw they were coming south and not going north this year I groaned! Gotta play them sometime, though. They’re not just going to magically disappear from the tournament.

Fourth team could be Malvern? IDK. That district is also notorious for some hijinks like teams “jumping” on others and slotting in to play earlier than the seeds would make necessary.
I’d love to see Fisher get past them. Had some family members go there once Bishop Flaget closed.

It should be a great regional

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:32 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:24 am Is there anyone in the East that could challenge the Central?
Yes. Three teams, in particular, would be the favorite over the Central (Fisher or Berne Union) in the Regional Semi-Final — Toronto, Hiland, and Shadyside.*

We have some serious arm quality and quantity. But Hiland and Shadyside are just unreal in that department. And Toronto is the defending state champions. Even without two Ohio State commits like they had in ‘19, Coach Perkins is one of the best in the game.

*I could be overstating the East’s prowess and underestimating how we stack up. We have a special team this year, possibly better than the ‘05 state runner-up (although hard to compare BESR vs BBCOR era and the slack of 16 years’ difference.) There’s goals this team’s got that aren’t easily described in simple terms. The team is confident, yet not arrogant. One game at a time & the cards will fall where they may...
Ouch.

Hiland never disappoints but it sounds like the regional will be very rugged no matter who makes it through.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:58 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:24 am D4 is going to have some just awful first round games, but there should be 8 solid squads in District tournament.

Valley
Paint Valley
Huntington
Clay

Martin pitched against Wheelersburg a couple weeks ago and lost 20-1 including two homeruns hit off of the Jeeps squad.
Cool.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:03 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:57 am

I’d love to see Fisher get past them. Had some family members go there once Bishop Flaget closed.

It should be a great regional
Newark Catholic is anticipated to get the #1 seed, with the expectation that they will go SW to Cincinnati (we’re neck-and-neck with NC)

I’d give a kidney and a lung to see it happen. But at the very least, if indeed Regionals are at Beavers (not confirmed or posted) I will enjoy the irony of being the “AWAY” team given that the school is literally a block away from the site. (Would be neat to have us play Eastern, as our head coaches are brothers, as a Regional Final, but I’ll be satisfied with at least being in Regionals.)

There’s a few that graduated 4-5 years above me that lived in ZT’s district. Surname begins with ‘P’, dad’s a doctor? No “71” county stickers in our parking lot these days!
Last edited by formerfcfan on Thu May 06, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

& yeah — the winner of Region 15 (this D4 regional) is probably going to throttle whoever comes out of Region 14 (Northeast’s D4 region.) Which sets up a showdown vs Antwerp/Lincolnview or Ft. Loramie/NC for all the marbles!

Olddude03
Waterboy

Post by Olddude03 »

Nuke LaLoosh wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:20 am Southern lost to Waterford twice also. Think they have 4 losses. I've seen most teams in the Hocking play this year and most teams in the Ohio, and on some days I have seen good baseball while on other days I have seen bad baseball. I wonder if some of it has to do with there being no baseball for an entire year for many high school kids. I'd guess some had an opportunity to play last summer but I'll bet there were many that didn't. I am seeing the same thing when I watch college baseball on TV this year. Some good, sometimes very bad.
I agree , the season off definitely hurt . A lot of ugly ball from talented teams. But hey it’s still baseball glad to have it back!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Fisher Catholic and Newark Catholic have made their picks; they are going to Region 16 (Cincinnati.)

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:20 pm Fisher Catholic and Newark Catholic have made their picks; they are going to Region 16 (Cincinnati.)
That says a lot about Toronto (and Region 16)

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:40 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:20 pm Fisher Catholic and Newark Catholic have made their picks; they are going to Region 16 (Cincinnati.)
That says a lot about Toronto (and Region 16)
We were the #1 seed, NC the #2. Berne Union is the #3 seed.

NC "passed" their pick, and put the ball in BU's court. NC beat Berne Union 2-0 on opening day with BU throwing their #2 pitcher (#1 pitcher has not thrown all year due to UCL tear he incurred trying to show up Jacob Miller in a scrimmage vs Liberty Union.) Berne strongly dislikes FC to the point there is very little respect for our program. This is well-known in the baseball circles up here. NC passing was the most advantageous play they could have done. Either BU goes into our bracket to try and have the "last laugh" by upsetting us (BU has not beaten us since 2018, 0-5 these last two seasons), thereby giving NC a reason to steer away from the bracket with both #1 and #3 or BU goes into the opposite bracket, NC comes into our bracket and everyone trips over themselves into going into BU.

And that's what happened. Central District 2 has the #1 seed (FC), #2 seed (NC) -- Central District 1 has seeds 3-7 all going there.

Yes -- it does say a lot about Toronto and Region 15. Specifically the East District. Toronto/Hiland/Shadyside has unbelievable arm depth and are solid programs. This is the one rare case where "the Devil You Don't Know, Is Better Than the Devil That You Do."

Region 16 is very difficult to try and parse an understanding of. The Southwest District's explanation for how what teams could come out of what lines in their own district tournament is SUPER-COMPLICATED. There's a pool of teams that can pick one of two sectionals, and the sectionals then cross-play across other denoted sectionals (e.g. Cincinnati 1, Cincinnati 2... Dayton 1, Dayton 2...) to form district tournaments. The line that the NC/FC winner is going to face has a chance of being Ft. Loramie or maybe even Newton, but it's not even clear if it could be those teams because from what I had gathered it all came down to what sectional bracket they would have picked.

GeneralCarpenter
JV Team

Post by GeneralCarpenter »

Anyone know how good New Lex is?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

GeneralCarpenter wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:39 pm Anyone know how good New Lex is?
They have a win over Sheridan. Not the New Lexington of old!

BennyTheJet
Waterboy

Post by BennyTheJet »

Anyone know anything about Southeastern?

Return to “Baseball”