Freshman Team

Re: Clay vs. St. Joe

Post by Pantherfan »

Played it tonight. Clay won 4-2

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Congratulations to Clay tonight on the win. Hopefully this season causes the SOC to examine its bylaws and address issues where teams refuse to play games when the home field is in playing condition. Since the league title wasn’t in jeopardy it would have been nice to see Clay pitch their #3 pitcher as they would have needed to 2 weeks ago to see how this may have played out. Sadly that didn’t happen so the world will never know.

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

BlindWhiteHat wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:44 pm Congratulations to Clay tonight on the win. Hopefully this season causes the SOC to examine its bylaws and address issues where teams refuse to play games when the home field is in playing condition. Since the league title wasn’t in jeopardy it would have been nice to see Clay pitch their #3 pitcher as they would have needed to 2 weeks ago to see how this may have played out. Sadly that didn’t happen so the world will never know.

Well, to be fair, the pitcher that ISJ pitched tonight also wouldn't have been available that night had the game not been cancelled. And I still like our chances with our #3 against your #2. I think it would have been a good game but like you said, we will never know what would have happened now.

I was happy to get to watch a great game with two great pitchers dueling it out. Most teams would rather put their best against the other team's best and I am glad we got to see that finally. I am sure you were as happy as I was to see the two aces face off against each other. I thought the ISJ pitcher and Clay pitcher both did very well and are definitely two of the best pitchers in the league and the area.

Good luck to ISJ in the tournament! I hope all of the area teams do well and stay injury free.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I'll respectfully disagree. It was a great game with #1 vs. #1 but it shouldn't have worked out that way. Is Clay the better team in a 1 game setting? Yes, but that's not what baseball is about. You have to manage your schedule as best as you can and in my opinion, Clay ducked ISJ because the pitching didn't line up 2 weeks ago. Does Clay win the league outright? Yes. I just feel that Mr. Rose and Coach Cottle took advantage of the rules and just chose not to play a game in which they may have been at a disadvantage.

Congrats to Clay's players on being the best team in SOC 1 this year. Shame on Mr. Rose, Coach Cottle and the SOC for allowing Clay to manipulate a rule (or lack of a rule) that allowed a visiting team to just refuse to play a game because their pitching didn't line up and the weather forecast offered them an excuse.

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

BlindWhiteHat wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:24 pm I'll respectfully disagree. It was a great game with #1 vs. #1 but it shouldn't have worked out that way. Is Clay the better team in a 1 game setting? Yes, but that's not what baseball is about. You have to manage your schedule as best as you can and in my opinion, Clay ducked ISJ because the pitching didn't line up 2 weeks ago. Does Clay win the league outright? Yes. I just feel that Mr. Rose and Coach Cottle took advantage of the rules and just chose not to play a game in which they may have been at a disadvantage.

Congrats to Clay's players on being the best team in SOC 1 this year. Shame on Mr. Rose, Coach Cottle and the SOC for allowing Clay to manipulate a rule (or lack of a rule) that allowed a visiting team to just refuse to play a game because their pitching didn't line up and the weather forecast offered them an excuse.

A good example (in my opinion) of trying to manipulate your schedule is exactly what your coach/AD did. He scheduled all of his tough league games late in the year. I assume hoping he would be 16-2, 17-1 something like that going in to the tournament voting and get an unearned really high seed.

The other thing he did, and it must make him feel really stupid now, is he scheduled the top two teams in the League back to back a week a part. He scheduled Clay two nights in a row one week and Symmes two nights in a row the next week. I can only assume he thinks he has more pitching than everybody else in the league. Nothing else would make sense in doing that. It is well known that your coach/AD tried to manipulate the schedule to his advantage, but the other coaches who vote weren't fooled and you get the 8 seed.

I hope Mr. AD/Coach learned from that and will schedule games differently next season instead of trying to manipulate the system.

Good day sir. And best of luck to you in the tournament. ISJ is a realy good team and I think can be win a game or two next week. Your coach/AD cost you some games this season by his scheduling tactics. It must be nice to be the AD and baseball coach. The rest of our coaches have to take the schedule the AD gives them. Not make their own.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Pantherfan wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:49 am
BlindWhiteHat wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:24 pm I'll respectfully disagree. It was a great game with #1 vs. #1 but it shouldn't have worked out that way. Is Clay the better team in a 1 game setting? Yes, but that's not what baseball is about. You have to manage your schedule as best as you can and in my opinion, Clay ducked ISJ because the pitching didn't line up 2 weeks ago. Does Clay win the league outright? Yes. I just feel that Mr. Rose and Coach Cottle took advantage of the rules and just chose not to play a game in which they may have been at a disadvantage.

A good example (in my opinion) of trying to manipulate your schedule is exactly what your coach/AD did. He scheduled all of his tough league games late in the year. I assume hoping he would be 16-2, 17-1 something like that going in to the tournament voting and get an unearned really high seed.

The other thing he did, and it must make him feel really stupid now, is he scheduled the top two teams in the League back to back a week a part. He scheduled Clay two nights in a row one week and Symmes two nights in a row the next week. I can only assume he thinks he has more pitching than everybody else in the league. Nothing else would make sense in doing that. It is well known that your coach/AD tried to manipulate the schedule to his advantage, but the other coaches who vote weren't fooled and you get the 8 seed.

I hope Mr. AD/Coach learned from that and will schedule games differently next season instead of trying to manipulate the system.

Good day sir. And best of luck to you in the tournament. ISJ is a realy good team and I think can be win a game or two next week. Your coach/AD cost you some games this season by his scheduling tactics. It must be nice to be the AD and baseball coach. The rest of our coaches have to take the schedule the AD gives them. Not make their own.
ADs don’t create their own league schedule

This is one of the worst posts I’ve ever read on here, so congratulations I guess.

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

HamPorter wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:52 am
Pantherfan wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:49 am

ADs don’t create their own league schedule

This is one of the worst posts I’ve ever read on here, so congratulations I guess.

Yes they do in SOC 1. And thanks for the congrats. Appreciate it.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I may be able to provide some insight on the ISJ schedule. For years, the school has allowed students to travel to Europe on an educational tour. It's done every other year and is almost always scheduled right after Easter. The trip lasts anywhere from 7-10 days. The trip was scheduled for last spring but was cancelled due to Covid 19. The trip was then pushed back to this Spring in the hopes that Covid would be under control and travel was opened back up.

Several baseball players were set to go on this trip so when it was rescheduled for this spring, the ISJ AD/Coach immediately rescheduled games that would have coincided with the trip. I don't think he necessarily wanted to play Clay back to back nor did he want to play ND and SV on back to back to back days. At the time he rescheduled those games away from the trip dates, he probably didn't have a lot of options.

I could be wrong and don't want to speak for the ISJ AD/Coach but I think the strange SOC schedule had more to do with rescheduling because of the Europe trip than it did anything else. As it turned out, the trip was cancelled again. Once those games were rescheduled, I'd think most of the ISJ opponents found other games to play on those originally scheduled dates.

Return to “Baseball”