5/24 Scores and Updates.... Big Day

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: 5/24 Scores and Updates.... Big Day

Post by formerfcfan »

mattash wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:51 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:49 pm
mattash wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:54 pm Will it be Valley v Paint Valley? and what day if so
Next Thursday at Beavers Field in Lancaster
Wow, June 3rd?
Indeed. 2pm.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

This isn’t SEOPreps territory, but relevant to games played today...

Shadyside 11
Toronto 3

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

mattash wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:51 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:49 pm
mattash wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:54 pm Will it be Valley v Paint Valley? and what day if so
Next Thursday at Beavers Field in Lancaster
Wow, June 3rd?
Yes. 2pm

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:24 pm This isn’t SEOPreps territory, but relevant to games played today...

Shadyside 11
Toronto 3
Whoa 👀

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

East District 1 - District Semi-Finals

Cambridge (17-10) - 4
Meadowbrook (20-7) - 3 8 Innings

https://whiznews.com/2021/05/24/bobcats ... 1Ll76HtGFQ

Bobcats slip past Colts 4-3 in eight inning classic in Division II district semi-finals
Kevin Sutton
The Daily Jeffersonian

NEW CONCORD — Guernsey County rivals Cambridge High and Meadowbrook High had hooked up in a pair of tightly contested baseball games during the regular season.

It was the Bobcats collecting a 3-2 win on the Colts' home diamond in round one in March, while Meadowbrook returned the favor with a 2-0 victory at Don Coss Stadium for the season split.

On Monday afternoon, the two squads hooked up for the tie-breaker with a Division II district semi-final match-up at Muskingum University's Mose Morehead Field.

And just like the previous two encounters, this one was a hard fought battle that needed eight innings to decide the winner. In the end it was the Bobcats, using a combination of late game execution and a gutty pitching performance from senior Sean Perkins to collect a 4-3 victory to advance to Wednesday's district championship game.

"You know what it feels really good," an emotional CHS head coach Jamaal Lowery explained. "This is my fourth year at the helm, and the kids are starting to believe and trust in the process. Our kids just have a no quit mentality...it just feels good that's about all i can say"

On the other side, the Colts finish with a fantastic season at 20-7 under first-year head coach Sam Fondriest, who tipped his cap to the victorious Bobcats.

"I think both teams knew coming in that this game was probably going to come down to the wire," Fondriest explained. "Both the games before tonight came down to the wire, and I think both teams fully anticipated another battle, and it was."

"To go eight innings in a district game, with both team having a chance to win it I don't think you ask for a better ball game," Fondriest added. "Hats off to Cambridge, they executed one more time then we did tonight, and that's why they are moving on."

Deadlocked at 3-3 after seven regulation innings, CHS was able to put the pressure on the Colts in the top of the eighth with some perfect execution that you need in a tight game to come out on top.

Meadowbrook's Zack Hoop (21) scores a run as Cambridge catcher Regan Rogers waits on the ball during Monday's Division II district semi-final at Muskingum University's Mose Morehead Field.

Taking the mound for Meadowbrook was Zack Hoop, who came on in relief of starter Austin Fox in the sixth inning and got the Colts out of a bases loaded, one out jam to keep the score tied at 3-3.

Hoop retired the first Cambridge hitter, before freshman Regan Rogers poked a base hit into right field to put the lead run on base.

It was at these point where the Bobcats executed the crucial sacrifice bunt to perfection with Drew Yanico putting it down perfectly to advance Rogers into scoring position at second base.

Caleb Bond followed with a infield single to put runners on first and third with still one out, Kaden Whaley then coaxed a walk from Hoop to load the bases bringing up the hot-hitting Blake Brumfield to the pate for the Bobcats.

Brumfield already had picked up a triple, double and single in a 3-for-4 effort at the plate, and was now looking to put his team into the lead.

Hoop got ahead in the count at 1-and-2 when on his next delivery Brumfield made solid contact, hitting at sharp ground ball right at Meadowbrook shortstop Easton Eibel, the Colts regular second baseman who moved to short when Hoop took the mound.

In his haste to try and turn the crucial double play to get out of the inning, Eibel was unable to come up with the play allowing Rogers to cross the plate with the lead run for the 4-3 Cambridge lead.

"I put the bunt on in that situation and Drew executed it perfectly to give us the opportunity," Lowery added. "Then we able to extend the inning and get Regan over to third, and Blake made solid contact and got him home."

Hoop then retired Brock Valentine with a ground ball to second to end the inning, and keep the Meadowbrook deficit at one run with the 4-3 Cambridge lead.

Now it was decision time for Lowery, on whether to send his senior ace Sean Perkins back to the mound to close out the win after working a full seven innings.

Cambridge's Blake Brumfield (17) slides into third base as Meadowbrook's Josh Hupp (10) waits on the throw during Monday's Division II district semi-final at Muskingum University's Mose Morehead Field. In position to make the call is umpire Rodney Dobson.
Lowery opted to stay with Perkins, and the decision quickly paid dividends with Perkins retiring the first two Meadowbrook hitters with a strikeout and a come-backer to the mound for two outs.

But the Colts continued to battle and Brady McManaway then stroked a clutch triple into the left field corner to keep Meadowbrook alive with the tying run at third base.

Up next was Hoop, the Colts' lead-off hitter and one of the most potent 'sticks' in the Meadowbrook order.

Perkins and Hoop battled with the count running to 3-2 when Perkins cut loose with a high fast ball that Hoop failed to connect with to give the Bobcats, now 17-10 the exciting 4-3 victory to advance on to meet Indian Creek, who got past Philo 4-1 in the night's other Division II district semi-final. That district championship contest will be played on Wednesday at 5 p.m. at Sandy Valley High School.

"I could not be more prouder of our guys," Fondriest stated. "I asked them to compete every day, and today we competed all the way up to that last pitch. Brady McManaway came through with two outs and hit that clutch triple to give us a shot. I will not question my kids effort, they left it all on the field."

For Lowery, he offered high praise for Perkins who went eight strong innings, allowing three runs on seven hits and striking out six for the win.

"That's my dog," Lowery said of Perkins. "He's our horse and we ride him all we can. "I asked him hey you want to go out in the eighth, and he just told me...Coach its game over. Got the first two out, then McManaway got that triple. Got back to the top of the order and Sean finished it off."

Hoop took the loss for Colts working two and two-thirds innings, allowing three hits and one run while striking out two and walking one. Fox lasted five and a third innings, allowing nine hits and three runs while striking out two and walking one

Cambridge finished with 12 hits led by Brumfield with a triple, double and RBI with Bond finishing with a double, single. Brock Valentine and Logan Mobelini each chipped in with a pair of base hits.

Fox banged out a pair of singles to lead the seven-hit Meadowbrook offense, with Aiden Reis and McManaway each ripping triples. Eibel and Damon Luander each stroked doubles for the Colts.

NEXT — Cambridge will take on Indian Creek on Wednesday at 5 p.m. in the Division II district championship game at Sandy Valley High School.

Return to “Baseball”