https://seohiopreps.com/baseball/team/hillsboro/
https://seohiopreps.com/baseball/team/unioto/

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
ipadbaseball
Waterboy

Re: 5/25 Hillsboro v Unioto

Post by ipadbaseball »

Very uncharacteristic game by Trace with walks and errors. But nonetheless, a very good win by a very good Unioto team.
Hillsboro with a typical win over Sheridan with great pitching.
Man, this is a tough one to call. Hillsboro's Scott on the mound against a good hitting Unioto team. Going to be a good one. Can't wait to catch this one.

GeneralCarpenter
JV Team

Post by GeneralCarpenter »

Just depends how solid Unioto pitches without Debord. This game could go either way.

TrueFan
JV Team

Post by TrueFan »

Any media coverage of this game tonight? Radio or live stream either one?

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Mike Smith retired. Game over.

GeneralCarpenter
JV Team

I feel so bad for the Unioto kids, especially the seniors. Hillsboro is a good team but hate to end the season like that. Wow

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

GeneralCarpenter wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:09 pm I feel so bad for the Unioto kids, especially the seniors. Hillsboro is a good team but hate to end the season like that. Wow
Details?

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Hillsboro won 6-5 in 8 innings.

GeneralCarpenter
JV Team

Ironman92 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:23 pm
GeneralCarpenter wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:09 pm I feel so bad for the Unioto kids, especially the seniors. Hillsboro is a good team but hate to end the season like that. Wow
Details?
Crazy good game, but Unioto is down 6-4 in the 8th with runners on second and first with 2 outs. Kid hits a fly ball and the Hillsboro outfielder dives and traps the ball, ump says safe but Hillsboro storms the field thinking they won while the tying run comes to score. The umps come together and somehow decide that instead of Unioto tying, the runner has to go to second. The next batter struck out and the game was over.

joeboggs1
JV Team

Post by joeboggs1 »

The original call was out. The umpire behind the mound clearly signaled out. After discussion between the crew, the call was changed. Runners were put back on 1st and 2nd, and one scored.

GeneralCarpenter
JV Team

joeboggs1 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:18 am The original call was out. The umpire behind the mound clearly signaled out. After discussion between the crew, the call was changed. Runners were put back on 1st and 2nd, and one scored.
Yep. Field ump said safe, but home plate ump called out. Tough decision for them.

ipadbaseball
Waterboy

Post by ipadbaseball »

GeneralCarpenter wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:24 am
Details?
Crazy good game, but Unioto is down 6-4 in the 8th with runners on second and first with 2 outs. Kid hits a fly ball and the Hillsboro outfielder dives and traps the ball, ump says safe but Hillsboro storms the field thinking they won while the tying run comes to score. The umps come together and somehow decide that instead of Unioto tying, the runner has to go to second. The next batter struck out and the game was over.
That isn't totally correct. The kid on first would NOT have scored on a shallow pop up to center if the play had never been ruled an out. Unioto kept running the bases as Hillsboro was celebrating. Had the play originally been ruled safe, Hillsboro would've played it live and that kid on first doesn't score

Diving catch in shallow right center, the base umpire signaled out. (3rd out) Hillsboro dogpiled and celebrated. But after a 10 min umpire conversation, the call was overruled and the batter was safe. The Unioto runner on 2nd was allowed to score. The runner on first was put on 2nd base and the batter was awarded first. The only part I don't agree with is the runner on first base should have been awarded 3rd base. He would've made it there. But no way he scores to tie the game.

After all this unfolded, the next unioto hitter struck out to end the game.

The base umpire in the middle of the field DID signal out. But, it's not his call unless he follows the ball to the OF and sees it. He didn't which makes it the plate umpire's call, but the play is dead at the point when he signalled "out".

I will add that this one was one of 3 very close plays that all went against Hillsboro. With the overruled call at first base and the weird "safe, out" call on a Hillsboro triple. I believe each cost Hillsboro a run or gave Unioto a run.

2 very good teams with a weird ending. Never seen an ending quite like it.

joeboggs1
JV Team

Post by joeboggs1 »

ipadbaseball wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:37 am
GeneralCarpenter wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:24 am

Details?
That isn't totally correct. The kid on first would NOT have scored on a shallow pop up to center if the play had never been ruled an out. Unioto kept running the bases as Hillsboro was celebrating. Had the play originally been ruled safe, Hillsboro would've played it live and that kid on first doesn't score

Diving catch in shallow right center, the base umpire signaled out. (3rd out) Hillsboro dogpiled and celebrated. But after a 10 min umpire conversation, the call was overruled and the batter was safe. The Unioto runner on 2nd was allowed to score. The runner on first was put on 2nd base and the batter was awarded first. The only part I don't agree with is the runner on first base should have been awarded 3rd base. He would've made it there. But no way he scores to tie the game.

After all this unfolded, the next unioto hitter struck out to end the game.

The base umpire in the middle of the field DID signal out. But, it's not his call unless he follows the ball to the OF and sees it. He didn't which makes it the plate umpire's call, but the play is dead at the point when he signalled "out".

I will add that this one was one of 3 very close plays that all went against Hillsboro. With the overruled call at first base and the weird "safe, out" call on a Hillsboro triple. I believe each cost Hillsboro a run or gave Unioto a run.

2 very good teams with a weird ending. Never seen an ending quite like it.
This is an excellent recap. It was a great game to watch, and two very good teams.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

The first base umpire (who had the best view) was the one who called it down, while the 3rd base umpire was the one who called it a catch, which led to the celebration.

Ultimately, I believe the right call was made, although like was said above I thought the runner from first should have been placed on third. But, the strikeout on the next batter made it a moot point anyways

If we make a couple more plays early, that play doesn’t even happen, so we have nobody to blame but ourselves...and Hillsboro. Because they are a fantastic team and earned that win.

Good luck to them next week and I hope they make it to Canal Park

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Great description of what happened. Sounds like a problem stemming from more umpires on the field than they are used to. Kudos on getting it resolved as fairly as they could. Would really have been a mess if there was just one out!

joeboggs1
JV Team

Post by joeboggs1 »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:41 am The first base umpire (who had the best view) was the one who called it down, while the 3rd base umpire was the one who called it a catch, which led to the celebration.

Ultimately, I believe the right call was made, although like was said above I thought the runner from first should have been placed on third. But, the strikeout on the next batter made it a moot point anyways

If we make a couple more plays early, that play doesn’t even happen, so we have nobody to blame but ourselves...and Hillsboro. Because they are a fantastic team and earned that win.

Good luck to them next week and I hope they make it to Canal Park
This is a good point. Surely all 3 umps shouldn’t be watching the ball. There was a play earlier in the game and I was wondering who was watching to see if the runners were waiting to tag up.

Return to “Baseball”