Caleb Bond - 3 singles, 3 RBI
Jake Valentine - 2 singles, 3 RBI
Bryce Murdock - double

Brooke

Jezierski - single
Bachinski - double

Per GameChanger:

Jake Throws Shutout As Cambridge Bobcats Varsity Defeats Brooke

Jake Valentine didn't allow a single run against Brooke, throwing a complete game shutout and leading Cambridge Bobcats Varsity to a 7-0 victory on Wednesday
Cambridge Bobcats Varsity secured the victory thanks to four runs in the fourth inning. The offensive onslaught by Cambridge Bobcats Varsity was led by Caleb Bond and Valentine, all sending runners across the plate with RBIs in the inning.

Cambridge Bobcats Varsity got things moving in the first inning. Caden Moore drew a walk, scoring one run.
Cambridge Bobcats Varsity scored four runs in the fourth inning. Bond and Valentine each drove in runs during the inning.

A single by Jezierski in the fourth inning was a positive for Brooke.

Valentine got the win for Cambridge Bobcats Varsity. The righthander surrendered zero runs on two hits over seven innings, striking out six.

Fuscardo took the loss for Brooke. The bulldog allowed five hits and five runs over four innings, striking out six.

Cambridge Bobcats Varsity collected seven hits. Bond and Valentine all collected multiple hits for Cambridge Bobcats Varsity. Bond went 3-for-4 at the plate to lead Cambridge Bobcats Varsity in hits. Cambridge Bobcats Varsity didn't commit a single error in the field. Valentine had six chances in the field, the most on the team.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Re: 2022 Cambridge Bobcats Baseball

Post by BobcatQB »

Game 2

Cambridge (2-0) - 10
Tusc. Central Catholic (0-3) - 0

WP - Andy Ogle, 6IP, 4 H, 1 BB, 10 K

Cambridge

Jake Valentine - double, single
Davion Bahr - triple, single, 3 RBI
Bryce Murdock - 2 singles, 2 RBI
Regan Rogers - double, RBI
Drew Yanico - 2 singles

Per GC

Two Cambridge Bobcats Varsity Pitchers Combine To Shutout Tuscarawas Central Catholic

Cambridge Bobcats Varsity defeated Tuscarawas Central Catholic 10-0 on Saturday as two pitchers combined to throw a shutout.

Cambridge Bobcats Varsity opened up scoring in the first inning. An error scored one run for Cambridge Bobcats Varsity.

Cambridge Bobcats Varsity scored five runs in the seventh inning. Bryce Murdock, Davion Bahr, and Keaton Kyser each had RBIs in the big inning.
A single by Gabe Serafini in the third inning was a positive for Tuscarawas Central Catholic.

Andy Ogle got the win for Cambridge Bobcats Varsity. Ogle went six innings, allowing zero runs on four hits, striking out ten and walking one. Parker Long threw one inning in relief out of the bullpen.

Serafini took the loss for Tuscarawas Central Catholic. Serafini went three innings, allowing three runs on zero hits.

Cambridge Bobcats Varsity totaled 11 hits. Jake Valentine, Drew Yanico, Murdock, and Bahr all had multiple hits for Cambridge Bobcats Varsity. Bahr, Murdock, Yanico, and Valentine each collected two hits to lead Cambridge Bobcats Varsity. Kyser led Cambridge Bobcats Varsity with two stolen bases, as they ran wild on the base paths with six stolen bases. Cambridge Bobcats Varsity didn't commit a single error in the field. Regan Rogers had 14 chances in the field, the most on the team.

Serafini went 2-for-3 at the plate to lead Tuscarawas Central Catholic in hits.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Cambridge (3-0) - 7
Bellaire (1-4) - 2

WP - Caden Moore, 6 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 4 K

Cambridge

Keaton Kyser - two singles
Jake Valentine - single, 3 RBI
Bryce Murdock - single, RBI
Parker Long - single, RBI
Angelo Rocco - single, RBI

Bobcats keep rolling with 7-2 win over Bellaire

Kevin Sutton
The Daily Jeffersonian

A preseason game-plan has worked to perfection to start the new season for head coach Jamaal Lowery and his Cambridge High baseball team who on Monday evening celebrated the home opener in style with a 7-2 victory over visiting Bellaire in Buckeye 8 Conference action at Don Coss Stadium.

With the victory, the Bobcats improve to a perfect 3-0 thanks in large part to a renewed focus on improving their offensive production, which Lowery made an emphasis heading into the season.

"We needed to improve on our offensive production coming into this season, and that starts with having quality at-bats each time. To have a game-plan when you step into the batters box," Lowery explained. "And we have done a great job with that thus far this season, it has helped us be much more consistent."

"We talk about getting better every day, and today we had a great approach at the plate, we had 16 quality at-bats which is awesome," Lowery added. "If you have quality at-bats like that it makes a huge difference. Sometimes your lucky to have 7-8 quality at-bats, tonight we had 16 as a team which speaks volumes to we are seeing the ball well and hitting it hard."

Those quality at-bats helped the 'Cats put up seven runs on nine hits to give CHS starting pitcher Caden Moore all the run support he would need to collect the win.

Moore got off to a sluggish start to the game, with the visitors hanging up a pair of first inning runs off him to jump out in front 2-0.

"That was the first time we faced adversity this year in the top of the first, first time we were down and really first runs we've had scored on us," Lowery said. "But give Caden credit, he settled in and did a nice job. He has three good pitches, and started to hit his spots and was really effective."

Moore allowed just three hits and two runs over six innings, striking out four for the pitching win. Davion Bahr threw one inning in relief out of the bullpen for CHS.

But the Cambridge offense responded quickly in its first time to the plate in the bottom of the frame. After the first two hitters were retired, the Bobcats strung together some two out lightning to tie the game at 2-2.

Cambridge head baseball coach Jamaal Lowery, center, talks with his Bobcats following Monday's 7-2 victory over Bellaire in the home opener at Don Coss Stadium. The Bobcats improved to a perfect 3-0 record with the win.

Senior Caleb Bond got it started with a scorching double to left field gap, and Jake Valentine promptly brought Bond home with an RBI single. Senior Parker Long then stroked an RBI base hit to left field to score Valentine for the 2-2 score.

Cambridge took the lead for good in the second inning, with Keaton Kyser leading off with a single. Kyser would eventually make his way to third, and came scampering home on Valentine's RBI ground out for the 3-2 lead.

The Bobcats added single runs in the fourth thanks to an RBI base hit from Bryce Murdock, and Valentine racked up his third RBI of the game in the sixth with a sacrifice fly ball to boost the lead out to 5-2.

Cambridge closed out the scoring in the sixth with a pair of runs, thanks to RBIs from Angelo Rocco with a single and Drew Yanico with a run scoring ground out for the 7-2 final count.

Kyser finished with a pair of singles to lead Cambridge, with Bond's double the only extra base hit in the game.

Lucas Heatherington took the loss for Bellaire, surrendering five runs on eight hits over five innings, striking out three.

"We also played solid defense tonight as well," Lowery added. "Defense is something we are going to take pride in this year. We want to make teams earn it when they score on us. Not make it easy on them with mistakes that we make."

"Home opener tonight, man the excitement was awesome here tonight," Lowery continued. "We appreciate our fans coming out on a chilly night like it was. Feels pretty good right now, proud of the way the guys are playing."

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Imagehttps://www.daily-jeff.com/story/sports ... 492928002/

​Garth Charlton, Trent Valentine and Sean Perkins are excelling in collegiate baseball

Kevin Sutton
The Daily Jeffersonian

A trio of former Cambridge High baseball standouts are finding success at the next level with their respective collegiate teams this spring.

Garth Charlton, Trent Valentine and Sean Perkins are each making their marks in college baseball which gives the Cambridge baseball program a sense of great pride, according to head coach Jamaal Lowery.

Lowery coached each of the former Bobcats, with Perkins a key contributor on last season's district championship team. During Valentine and Charlton's playing days at CHS, Lowery was an assistant coach under his brother Josh, who served as head coach from 2015 to 2017.

"I got the privilege to coach all three of these young men," Lowery said. "What it means to see more than one of our alumni being successful at the next level speaks volumes of where this program is headed."

Valentine, a 2019 CHS graduate, is having a breakout season for Marietta College, which sports an impressive 21-3 record on the season. Valentine has become the Pioneers' ace by putting together a perfect 7-0 pitching mark that has him tied atop the national leaders in NCAA Division III statistics.
Marietta College is a NCAA Division III member school and competes in the Ohio Athletic Conference.

In his 38 innings pitched, Valentine has a sparkling 1.18 ERA with 42 Ks and just 10 free passes issued. Valentine expressed being the 'Big Dog' that his Marietta squad can lean on when he takes the mound is a good feeling.

"It feels great to be the guy for our team," Valentine offered. "I feel as though our team plays better when I am on the mound, especially our defense. They are always out there making great plays behind me.

"I have the utmost confidence in my teammates," Valentine added. "I could not have the success without those guys fielding, throwing and catching everything that comes their way. It gives me confidence that I can throw strikes."
For Valentine, simply throwing strikes is something he points to as being a catalyst for his successful season on the mound for the Pioneers.

"Filling up the strike zone, that was my problem last year," Valentine explained. "I believe my stuff is good enough to test anyone in the country. I just needed to trust my stuff and my teammates and throw strikes more consistently.

"And that is what I have been able to accomplish this year so far and it's worked out well," Valentine said. "Just trusting my pitches, knowing that they are good enough to get really good hitters out with the help of my defense."

Valentine, who is a health science major with a minor in coaching, explained that being an athlete and a full-time student in the science field can be challenging.

"School is great, but can be tough, at times, juggling being a full time student and an athlete," Valentine stated. "A lot of late nights and early mornings for me, but it is what I signed up to do. It's mostly about keeping up with good time management and being disciplined to make sure things get done."

For Charlton, a 2017 Cambridge graduate, this season started with a change of scenery. After two seasons at Ohio Valley University, he opted to transfer to Wheeling University.

Wheeling competes in NCAA Division II as part of the MEC.

"The main reason I decided to make the change was because Coach Lewicki was on the move from OVU to Wheeling and he and I already had a good relationship from our time together at Ohio Valley," he said. "I asked if it was alright if I came with him and he was all for it."

That decision proved to be a good one for Charlton, as the junior catcher currently sports a solid .268 batting average with four home runs and 12 RBIs for the Cardinals, who have an 11-16 record so far this year.

"I'm very happy with my decision to come over to Wheeling," Charlton said. "I was hesitant at first, knowing that I had already established myself at OVU. Now, I have to prove myself all over again at Wheeling, but I was ready for the challenge and it's worked out well"

Charlton attributed his solid offensive numbers to being comfortable in his new surroundings.
"I'm just surrounded by good people and good teammates who have made Wheeling feel like home," Charlton explained. "We have a good group of guys on the team, so I've just been stepping up to the plate with no pressure and able to just relax."

Charlton has also enjoyed his new home off the field as well, with the academics and overall college vibe being a better fit for him.

"The switch to Wheeling has been great in more than just the baseball side," Charlton explained. "And the school and the campus give me the college experience that I felt like I was missing out on at Ohio Valley.

"I'm a business major with a focus in marketing," Charlton continued. "I'm doing well academically and on course to graduate this spring."

Both the former Cambridge standout student-athletes agree their time spent in the Bobcat baseball program was instrumental to their being able to be successful at the collegiate level.

"I believe that my time at Cambridge prepared me very well for the collegiate level," Charlton said. "I had many coaches who helped develop my game in some way during my years at Cambridge and I'm very grateful for their help. I also want to thank Jimmy and Ron Antill from Post 84 for helping me prepare as well."

Valentine expressed a big shout-out to Josh and Jamaal Lowery for being positive role models during his career at Cambridge.

"Jamaal and Josh Lowery were great coaches and influencers on me. They made it clear that if you want to be great, you have to work for every bit of it," Valentine said. "They helped create the player I have become today. A gentleman off the field and a gritty hard worker on the field and when nobody is watching."

Another Bobcat, Perkins, is getting his first taste of the college level as a true freshman for Akron University, following his graduation in 2021 from CHS.

Perkins has worked a total of 10.2 innings for the Zips, who are coached by former Cincinnati Reds player Chris Sabo. Perkins has a 0-1 W-L record with 11 Ks, three walks and one save to his credit.
Jamaal Lowery has fond memories of Perkins who was a key piece in the Bobcats' Division II district championship last season as a senior.

"Sean has an electric arm with his 3/4 arm slot is a nightmare for most hitters. He was a kid that you knew could definitely play at the next level early on," Lowery stated. "It’s great to see him getting innings at Akron this year as a freshman. That says a lot right there for him."
Both Valentine and Charlton are both still Bobcats and despite busy and demanding schedules, they keep tabs on their home town team.

"I of course still keep up with Cambridge and how they are doing in all sports, especially baseball of course," Charlton said. "With my parents still being in town and my dad John being involved with the school and still covering some games for the Daily Jeffersonian it makes it easier to keep up with them.

"Also with the Bobcats joining the Buckeye 8, it will make it easier to get over and catch a few games down here in the valley," Charlton continued. "I try to make it to see as many games as I can to show my support for the school."

Valentine has a couple more reasons for keeping track of the Bobcats' baseball team, namely in junior brother Jake, who is a key contributor on the field, and his father John who serves as an assistant coach for the team.

"Yes of course I follow the team. I go to their practices over the winter as much as I can," Valentine explained. "Jamaal and I have a good relationship and he recently took time to come down to watch me pitch against ONU which I appreciated.

"It is hard not to keep tabs on the team this year, they are going to do great things with all the talent they have on the roster," Valentine said. "I'm wanting to make it to some games depending on our schedule and my school work schedule. But I will make it happen as much as possible."

Lowery is hopeful the success Valentine, Charlton and Perkins are having will inspire future Bobcats to work hard to follow their lead to reach that next level of baseball.

"The work ethic and the time spent working on their craft is paying off and its showing at the next level. I’m very proud of all of them," Lowery continued. "Each of them is a positive reflection of our program, and that hard work can pay off for you if you're willing to put in the time. Hopefully their example will push future players to follow their lead."

KSutton1@gannett.com
740-439-3531
Twitter: @KevinDJsports

Attachments
Sean.jpg
Sean.jpg (20.71 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
Garth.jpg
Trent.jpg

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Cambridge (4-0) - 11
Union Local (1-5) - 4

Roundup: Cambridge tops UL

The Daily Jeffersonian

Cambridge's Jake Valentine (7) knocks in Regan Rogers (6) during Wednesday's action vs Union Local at Don Coss Field.

CAMBRIDGE — Regan Rogers, Caleb Bond and Caden Moore all knocked in two runs, as host Cambridge rallied past Union Local for an 11-4 win and improved to 4-0 on Wednesday at Don Coss Field.

The Jets broke up a scoreless game with three runs in the top of the third inning, but the Bobcats answered with four in the home half to take the lead for good.

Davion Bahr scored on a wild pitch to get Cambridge on the board in the third, while Rogers followed with a RBI single, Bond had a RBI groundout and Jake Valentine singled home Rogers to make it 4-3.

Keaton Kyser and Rogers had run-scoring hits to stretch the lead to 7-3 in the fourth; Angelo Rocco hit a RBI single in the fifth; and Bond delivered a RBI single and Moore ripped a two-run double in the sixth to cap the scoring.

Kyser, Rogers, Bond, Moore and Drew Yanico all had two hits for the Bobcats, who had 13 hits.

Andy Ogle started pitching, allowing three runs on four hits with five strikeouts and four walks in four innings.
Attachments
IMG_2056.jpg

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Cambridge (5-0) - 7
St. Clairsville (4-3) - 4

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Cambridge (6-0) - 7
St. Clairsville (4-4) - 2

Cambridge - 4
Barnesville - 5

Jake Valentine takes a no-hitter into the 7th, two errors and two hits later, Barnesville ties it up to go to extras.  Cambridge takes the lead 4-2 but Barnesville scores 3 in the 8th to win it.  Walks it off with a 2-run HR.

Valentine finishes with 7 IP, 2 H, 11 K, 1 BB..no decision.

Cambridge - 1
Fredericktown - 7

Sophomore Keaton Kyser with a solo HR.  Cats can't shake off the first loss of the season with the Barnesville game.  Now stand at 6-2.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Cambridge (7-2) - 4
Martins Ferry (8-2) - 3

Cambridge

Jake Valentine - 2 singles, 3 RBI
Regan Rogers - 2 singles

Martins Ferry

Probst - 2 singles, RBI
Shriver - 2 singles, RBI

The win secures the #1 seed in both the OVAC and Buckeye Eight playoffs for Cambridge.

​​​​​​​

https://www.daily-jeff.com/story/sports ... 390888001/

High School Roundup: Bobcats slip past state-ranked Martins Ferry

The Daily Jeffersonian

MARTINS FERRY — Cambridge High collected a 4-3 road victory over state-ranked Martins Ferry in Buckeye 8 Conference play on Wednesday night.

Junior Jake Valentine's RBI single in the top of the seventh inning provided the winning run for the Bobcats. Valentine finished with a 2-for-4 night with a pair of base hits and three RBIs. Regan Rogers added a pair of singles for Cambridge, with Angelo Rocco picking up an RBI.

Keaton Kyser was credited with the victory on the mound for CHS, working one and two-thirds innings, allowing no runs on one hit and walking one. Caleb Campbell threw three innings in relief out of the bullpen.

Cambridge improves to 7-2 with the road victory.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Cambridge now 9-3

Cambridge - 6
Meadowbrook - 7

Cambridge - 8
Indian Creek - 7

Cambridge - 9
Bellaire - 2

Bobcats beat up on Bellaire, 9-2

The Daily Jeffersonian

BELLARE — Visiting Cambridge High cranked up the offense on Monday to roll past Bellaire for a 9-2 road victory in Buckeye 8 Conference baseball action.

The Bobcats who improved to 9-3 with the win, banged out a total of 13 hits in the game, with sophomore Regan Rogers leading the way with a pair of doubles, a single with three RBIs. Senor Bryce Murdock and freshman Keaton Kyser each added a double, single with an RBI, while junior Jake Valentine singled twice with an RBI. Senior Drew Yanico ripped a double.

Davion Bahr went four and two-thirds innings, allowing one run on four hits and striking out two to collect the win on the mound for CHS. Bradyn Gregg threw two and a third innings in relief out of the bullpen.
​​​​​​​
Cambridge jumped out in front 1-0 in the top of the first with a Valentine RBI base hit, and then tacked on a pair of second inning runs to jump out to 3-0 lead.

The Bobcats put the game away with a four run uprising in the fourth, to extend the lead out to a comfortable 7-1 advantage. Kyser, Rogers, and Caden Moore each contributed RBIs in the frame.

https://www.daily-jeff.com/story/sports ... qM-07gXvBI

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Cambridge - 3​
Wheeling Central Catholic - 2

Cambridge slips past Wheeling Central 3-2 to improve to 10-3 on the season​
Kevin Sutton
The Daily Jeffersonian

Cambridge High has put together a solid 10-3 record this season following Tuesday's 3-2 victory over Wheeling Central Catholic in non-league action at Don Coss Stadium for its third straight win.
To accomplish this feat, CHS head coach Jamaal Lowery's squad has got contributions in all aspects of the game...solid pitching, timely hitting and a consistent defensive effort nightly.

In Tuesday night's victory, it was a Sports Center Top 10 worthy defensive play from junior center-fielder Davion Bahr that was the key component in securing the Bobcats' 10th victory of the season.
Trailing by a 3-2 margin in the top of the fourth inning, the visiting Knights were poised to pull even with the game-tying run at second base.
Braxton Billick led off the inning with a base hit off Cambridge starter Andy Ogle, and advanced into scoring position at second base on a wild pitch with no outs.
Ogle regrouped and got back-to-back punch-outs to keep Billick at second base and the Bobcats' slim lead in tact.
Wheeling Central's three-hole hitter Ben Foster, who had singled sharply into left field his last at-bat stepped to the plate looking to get Billick home.

Ogle fell behind in the count at 2-1, and needing a strike caught a bit too much of the plate. Foster connected and drove a ball into the left-center field gap which looked to be a sure-fire RBI double.
"Off the bat, that was a guaranteed double," Lowery said of Foster's drive. "Next thing you see is this blur coming from center field into the gap."

That blur was none other then the fleet-footed Bahr who simply ran the ball down and hauled it in for the third out to preserve the Bobcats' 3-2 lead with the nifty catch.

"Davion got a great read on that ball," Lowery offered. "He has really good instincts out there and with his speed makes him a special type of outfielder who can make a play like that. That was just a great play, and turned out to be the difference in the game."

"Davion just went and got it," Lowery added. "We like to say 'No Green' in the outfield to our guys. To have that mentally to just try to catch everything and let nothing hit the grass for a hit. Davion came up with a big 'No Green' play on that one."
Junior Caden Moore came on in relief of Ogle in the fifth and tossed three scoreless innings to close out the Bobcats' win. Moore allowed just one hit with a pair of Ks, and two walks.

Ogle surrendered two runs on six hits over four innings, striking out five to pick up the win on the mound.
"Andy came back with two days rest," Lowery said. "He's been itching to get back out there on the mound. He came in and located his fast ball, had his off speed working also. They got to him for a couple in the second inning, but I thought Andy was solid tonight."

"Caden then came in and closed it out for us," Lowery continued. "He threw three shutout innings which is just what we needed."
Cambridge jumped out in front quickly with a pair of first inning runs with junior Jake Valentine and Moore coming up with back-to-back RBI sacrifice fly outs for the 2-0 Cambridge lead.

Wheeling Central reached Ogle for a pair of runs in the second inning to pull even at 2-2. Peyton Hildenbran and Seth Cores collected RBIs for the Knights.

Cambridge would answer quickly with what proved to be the game-winner in the bottom of the second frame.
Senior Caleb Bond coaxed a two-out walk off Wheeling Central starter Cole Sutphin, and promptly moved up to second base on a wild pitch. Sophomore Regan Rogers then came through with a clutch two-out hit with a scorching double into the left field corner to bring Bond across the plate for the 3-2 lead that would hold up for the win.

Sutphin took the pitching loss, surrendering three runs on five hits over six innings, striking out three.
Rogers led the Bobcats' offense with a double, single with an RBI, while Bond doubled and Moore finished with an RBI single. Angelo Rocco singled and Valentine picked up an RBI.

Wheeling Central was paced by Hildenbrand and Billick with a pair of base hits each in a losing effort
"Quality win tonight, Wheeling Central in playing for the OVAC 2A title after upsetting Shadyside," Lowery explained. "So that's a quality baseball team right there, so this was a good win for us tonight."

"We talk about peaking at the right time," Lowery continued. "And we are coming up over that hill right now. Really like the way we are playing and we want to keep it going."
KSutton1@gannett.com

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Junior Jake Valentine hurls Bobcats to OVAC 4A title
Cambridge blanks Harrison Central 5-0 in OVAC 4A championship game
Kevin Sutton
The Daily Jeffersonian

RICHMOND — Following back-to-back losses in the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference baseball championships the last two seasons, Cambridge High head baseball coach Jamaal Lowery talked in the preseason about getting over that hump and getting to the championship game as a team goal this season.

On Friday night, Lowery and the Bobcats took it one step farther and weren't satisfied with just getting to the title game...Cambridge won the whole thing with a 5-0 victory over Harrison Central to claim the OVAC 4A title.

"I like taking things a step farther," a jubilant Lowery explained followed the game. "We got here which was our goal coming into the season. But heck we are here, let's just win the whole thing was our mindset. I'm just so proud of my team, they just continue to grind."

"Tonight we made it happen in all aspects of the game," Lowrey added. "To get over that hump of the semi-finals and finally get here and win the whole thing is just awesome. Man this just feels great. So happy for my team, just a great group of hard working kids."

To finish things off in the championship game, Lowery handed the ball to his 'Dog' in junior Jake Valentine to toe the rubber for the Bobcats.

"Jake Valentine, I call him my 'Dog'," Lowery joked. "He was a work horse tonight for us. I looked at him going to the top of the seventh and asked if he wanted to finish and of course he said absolutely coach your keeping me in there today."

"And he went out and manned up and finished off a tremendous effort," Lowery said. "He had all three pitches working well, and did a nice job of pounding the strike zone."

Cambridge High's OVAC 4A champions proudly show off their hardware after Friday's 5-0 victory over Edison in the championship game at Edison High School.

In that seventh, Valentine finished the night with an impressive 1-2-3 inning with back-to-back punch-outs and then getting a comebacker to the mound he threw out to end the game.

Valentine yielded just seven baserunners across the full seven innings, scattering three hits and three walks while striking out 11 to earn OVAC 4A MVP honors for his outstanding effort.

"Me and Coach Jamaal are real tight," Valentine explained. "It means a lot to know he trusts me in a big game like this. It feels really good to come through with my teammates in a big game on a nice field like this and get it done with an OVAC championship."

“Basically, everything was just working. I felt really good,” Valentine said. “It feels really good (to win), especially on this nice field and in front of a big crowd. It’s a long drive home, but it was fun.”

Valentine also contributed at the plate with a triple, single with an RBI to complete an solid performance.

Cambridge High' junior Jake Valentine delivers a pitch during Friday's OVAC 4A championship game against Harrison Central at Edison High School. Valentine earned 4A game MVP honors after tossing a complete game 3-hit shutout with 11 Ks to lead the Bobcats to a 5-0 win for the OVAC 4A championship.

The only real threat that Harrison Central mounted against Valentine came in the top of the first, when the Huskies loaded the bases off the CHS righthander.

A walk, hit-batter and a Cambridge error gave Harrison Central a golden scoring opportunity with the sacks loaded with just one out. But Valentine responded and got Jimmy Madiza on a pop-out to first base, and Cabot Arbaugh on a ground out to second baseman Caleb Bond to end the inning and keep the Huskies scoreless.

"That was huge to keep them on the scoreboard in the first inning. didn't want to let them score first and get some momentum," Valentine added. "I trusted my defense and just tried to throw strikes. And they came through for me like they have all year."

Cambridge also loaded the bases in the first inning and failed to score off Harrison Central starter Tre Rex.

But in the second frame, the Bobcats broke through with a pair of runs to jump out in front at 2-0. With one out, junior Davion Bahr singled to left field and Keaton Kyser coaxed a walk to put a pair of CHS runners aboard.

Harrison Central then botched a pick-off play at second base that allowed Bahr and Kyser to both move into scoring position. Rex then uncorked a wild pitch that allowed Bahr to score with the game's first run. Bond then brought Kyser home with an RBI ground ball out to short for a 2-0 Cambridge lead.

Cambridge added on in the third inning, pushing across two more runs with Valentine belting an RBI triple to score senior Bryce Murdock who lead off the inning with a base hit. On the play, Valentine would score as well after the relay throw got away for a 4-0 Cambridge advantage.

“I was rounding third and stopped at third,” Valentine explained. “I saw them throw it (home) and it was a bad throw, so I just ran home, I don’t know why. The ball got there in front of me, and I tried to dive under the catcher and I think I hit his leg and the ball came out.”

In the fifth, the Bobcats closed out the scoring with Bahr flashing his wheels with an inside the park home run on a deep drive into the left center field power alley.

Bahr added a single to finish with two hits with an RBI, Murdock singled twice and Regan Rogers ripped a double and got thrown out hustling to reach third base.

Cambridge improves its season mark to 11-4 along with now adding an OVAC 4A championship to their resume.

https://www.daily-jeff.com/story/sports ... 562873002/

https://wtov9.com/high-school-super-sit ... ball-final

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

https://www.daily-jeff.com/story/sports ... 655334002/

Tre Rex shuts down Cambridge offense in Buckeye 8 title game loss​

CHS junior Jake Valentine suffers tough 3-0 loss to Harrison Central despite tossing no-hitter​

Kevin Sutton
The Daily Jeffersonian

Cambridge junior Jake Valentine delivers a pitch during Friday's Buckeye 8 Conference Championship game against Harrison Central in Cadiz. Despite Valentine throwing a no-hitter the Bobcats dropped a tough 3-0 decision.

CADIZ — A pair of top-flight pitchers in Cambridge's Jake Valentine and Tre Rex of Harrison Central hooked up on Friday for the second consecutive week with a league championship on the line.

Last Friday, it was Valentine hurling the Bobcats to the OVAC 4A title with a 5-0 victory. But this time, it was Rex who brought home the Buckeye 8 Conference hardware for the Huskies with a 3-0 win at brand new Mazeroski Field.

Rex, who took the loss in the OVAC match-up, just proved too much on this night for the Bobcats' offense. Rex allowed just two hits in seven scoreless innings with 10 Ks to earn the victory.

"Rex pitched a real good game," CHS head coach Jamaal Lowery offered. "He was all around the zone tonight, we saw him last week and were able to get to him early. But tonight we could not get anything going against him. So we just tip our hat to him, he shut down our bats tonight"

While Rex was impressive, in a loss it was Valentine who even more impressive as the Cambridge junior finished with a complete game no-hitter with seven Ks, surrendering three runs, but only one was earned. The difference proved to be that costly defensive miscues proved too much for the Bobcats to overcome.

"When you have a pitcher that throws a no-hitter, and he gets beat 3-0 its frustrating," Lowery added. "This is why baseball is a funny sport, you can go out and dominate and still lose."

"But Jake gets it, he's a baseball savvy kid who understands the game," Lowery continued. "He wasn't mopping around, he just kept feeding the zone...doing his job like he always does for us. That's why he's my 'Dog' and he showed it again tonight."

Harrison Central got on the board with a first inning unearned run to jump in front 1-0. With one out, Valentine struggled to locate the strike zone and issued back-to-back free passes to Jace Madzia and Treston Nemeth to give the Huskies a pair of base runners.

Valentine then coaxed what looked like an inning ending ground ball to shortstop. Keaton Kyser fielded it cleanly, got the ball over to Caleb Bond for the force out a second base. But on Bond's relay throw to first that would have ended the inning and the scoring threat.

Cambridge head coach Jamaal Lowery talks to his Bobcats following Friday's disappointing 3-0 loss to Harrison Central in the Buckeye 8 Conference championship game in Cadiz.

The ball got away a first base for an error allowing Mazdia to cross the plate with the game's first run and a 1-0 lead.

"We had a tough error at first base there in the first inning they got them on the board," Lowery explained. "We should have been out of the inning, but hey you have to make the plays and unfortunately tonight we struggled at times."

With Rex holding the Cambridge offense silent, that one run lead looked huge to the Cambridge faithful in attendance who came to support the Bobcats.

In the fifth inning, the outlook became even more bleak as more CHS defensive issues again reared its head as Harrison Central played some small ball.

Cabot Arbaugh led off by drawing a walk, with Rex then putting down a sacrifice bunt that was mishandled allowing both runners to be reach. A third straight bunt moved both runners into scoring position as the Bobcats threw out the hitter for the first out.

Trace Rutter then put down the fourth consecutive bunt in the inning, this one a suicide squeeze as Arbaugh broke for the plate.
Rutter bunted the ball right back to Valentine, who in his haste to make a play bobbled the ball for an error with everyone again safe on the play including Arbaugh with the second run of the game.

Tucker Snyder then laid down a safety squeeze that brought Rex home for the 3-0 lead after five innings.
Rex would then hold off the Bobcats in the sixth and seventh innings to complete the shutout and hand CHS it's first Buckeye 8 Conference loss of the season.

Reagan Rogers and Kyser each singled for Cambridge's two hits in the contest. The Bobcats slip to 12-5 overall.
"You have days like this, but it doesn't define you in one day," Lowery said. "We you see a pitcher like Rex two times in a row. It could go either way, he's a quality pitcher. We just didn't hit the ball today...bottom line."

"Some days you just tip your hat to the other guy," Lowery added. "That's what we are doing today. So we are just going to move on, we have more business to take care of. We made it into two straight league championship games, that's pretty impressive and a sign where this program is headed."
KSutton1@gannett.com

SG REBEL

Post by SG REBEL »

I just never thought this team had the heart this year. Everyone went around talking about how great they were gonna be and it never came to fruition. Probably because of that typical Cambridge mentality. You know I’ve never seen anyone from that area bee amount to anything and it’s plain to see why. I like the kids, I really do. But when you got raised around there, there just isn’t much of a chance for ya. I’m glad to see they got some recognition for some subpar play this year. You way overshot your expectations and most people are so happy for these lost boys. I feel bad for seniors who are about to be tossed out into the Cambridge life. Just remember boys tbere was never any chance for you to really do something. This season was so above and beyond for your skills. Next year will be a disaster. We all love you.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

#17 Cambridge (14-5) - 13
Union Local (2-14) - 0
6 Innings

WP - Andy Ogle (4-0)

Complete game shutout, 1 hit, 6 K

Caleb Bond - HR, single, 3 RBI
Jake Valentine - 2 doubles, single, 2 RBI
Drew Yanico - 2 singles, 2 RBI
Bryce Murdock - double, single, 2 RBI
Angelo Rocco - double, single, RBI

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

#17 Cambridge (15-5) - 5
West Muskingum (4-14) - 0

WP - Davion Bahr
5 IP, 3 H, 3 BB, 4 K

Save - Jake Valentine
2 IP, 0 H, 2 K

Jake Valentine - double, single, RBI, 3 runs scored, SB
Caleb Bond - 2 singles, 2 RBI
Angelo Rocco - single, RBI

Cambridge finishes regular season at 15-5.

OVAC 4A Champs
Buckeye Eight South Division Champs (7-0 in league play)

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Cambridge - 2
Indian Creek - 4

Cats finish season at 15-6.

Cambridge

Jake Valentine - Home Run, 2 RBI
Bryce Murdock - double, single

Bobcats come up short in bid for D-II district repeat

Visiting Indian Creek upends Cambridge 4-2 in D-II sectional title game

John Charlton
Daily Jeffersonian Correspondent

The Indian Creek High School baseball team came through with some timely, late game hitting while Cambridge left five runners stranded in the final two innings leading to a 4-2 victory for the Redskins in Division II Sectional playoff action on Tuesday at Don Coss Stadium at the Cambridge City Park.

Indian Creek strung together three singles in the top of the seventh inning to break a 2-2 tie and push across the eventual game winning runs.

Leadoff hitter Ty Householder drew a walk to start the inning before being eliminated on a fielders’ choice by Jack Amis. Aiden Orr followed with single to shallow centerfield to put runners on first and second.

Clean up hitter Landon Pawnall jumped on the first pitch he saw and drove a liner to right field. Amis, hustling from second base, beat the throw to plate to give Creek the 3-2 lead. Sy Howell followed with another single to center field. A bobble by the centerfielder allowed Orr to score just ahead of the throw to the plate.

“These guys are very disciplined at the plate,” Indian Creek coach Mike Cottis said. “We were up their hunting fastballs and they saw some good ones and put some good stick on it. We hit it hard early too, but they didn’t fall but we stuck with the plan, and it worked out for us.”

At that point, Bobcat mentor Jamaal Lowery was forced to remove his ace, Jake Valentine, from the game.

“Jake gave us everything he had tonight,” Lowery said. “He held them scoreless for the third, fourth, fifth and sixth. We just didn’t give him enough run support.”

Caden Moore came on in relief to record two quick outs, but the damage had been done. Cambridge was down 4-2 heading into the bottom of the seventh inning and, as they have all season, tried to comeback.

Pinch hitter Parker Long led off with a bloop single to center field before Drew Yanico reached on a perfect bunt to the left side of the infield. Leadoff hitter Keaton Kyser drew a four-pitch walk to load the bases and end Trevor Lash’s night on the mound.

“We had bases loaded and nobody out in the bottom of the seventh with our two, three, four coming up,” Lowery recapped. “You’re sitting pretty good in that situation and nine times out of ten, they do what they’re supposed to do.”

Closer Howell came into a tough situation and induced infield pop-ups by the Bobcats two- and three-hole hitters before getting the final out on a long-fly ball to the left field corner.

The Bobcats stranded two runners in the sixth inning after Bryce Murdock doubled over the centerfielder’s head and Indian Creek intentional walked Valentine. The lefthanded Lash coaxed a fly ball and a pop up to freeze the runners before ending the frame with a ground out to third.

Lash kept Cambridge off-balance most of the night scattering six hits and four base-on-balls while recording three strikeouts to earn the win.

“Trevor Lash is the epitome of a crafty lefty,” Indian Creek coach Mike Cottis said. “He keeps guys off balance and pounds the zone. We told him before the game to let his defense make the plays and we go ourselves a shot.”

Lowery was also complementary of Lash.

“The little lefty, not much velo behind it. We just popped everything up in the air today,” Lowery said. “I think we only had two solid hits, Bryce and Jake in the first inning.”

Creek scored the first run of the game in the first inning. Amis ripped a triple to the right-center field gap and scored on an infield single up the middle.

Cambridge responded in the second inning when Valentine followed a Bryce Murdock two-out single with a blast over the left field fence to give the Bobcats an early 2-1 lead.

“We got those two runs early off the home run Jake hit, but unfortunately from there, we couldn’t score,” Lowery said.

Creek answered to tie the score in the top of the second inning as Caleb Bodo reached on an error and scored on a single by Lucca Morelli.

Cambridge’s Valentine and Indian Creek’s Lash both put up zeros until the Redskin’s seventh inning rally.

Valentine left the game with one out in the seventh after giving up four runs (two earned) on seven hits. He walked five and struck out four.

Valentine picked up the only two Bobcat RBIs of the game with his two-run round-tripper in the first inning. Murdock led the Cats with a single and a double while Caleb Bond, Long and Yanico each added a hit.

The Bobcats finish the season with a 15-6 record having won the OVAC 4-A championship three weeks ago.

“I had a core group of six seniors that are key part of this foundation being built for this program,” Lowery said. “I’m going to miss them like crazy, Caleb Bond, Drew Yanico, Caleb Campbell, Bryce Murdock, Parker Long and Adam Smith. I want to thank them for everything they have done for this program and wish them best of luck in their futures.”

https://wtov9.com/high-school-super-sit ... ball-title
Last edited by BobcatQB on Thu May 19, 2022 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Cambridge vs Union Local

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVB37UXxSXw

Cambridge vs St. Clairsville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gvcM4YWhqA&t=8s

Cambridge vs Harrison Central - OVAC 4A Championship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ6skBESzvQ

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Trent Valentine, CHS Class of 2019, recently participated in the D3 College World Series for the Marietta College Pioneers.  Marietta was the #1 seed with the #1 offense in the country and #3 defense in the country but failed to make it to the Final Four.

As the Marietta #1 pitcher, Valentine pitched game 1 vs Catholic University (Washington DC).  He picked up his 14th win of the season, a 7-0 4 hit shutout with 8 k's.  As a result, he was named to the World Series All-Tournament Team.

Valentine had a huge season for the Pioneers who were ranked #1 in the country most of the season.  Following are details of his season:

14-1 record, 91.2 IP, 73 H, 21 R, 20 ER, 25 BB, 74 K, 1.96 ERA, 1.07 WHIP

NCAA D3 Ranks

#1 in Wins
#1 in ERA (with at least 90 IP)..#24 overall

Ohio Athletic Conference Ranks

#1 in Wins
#2 in ERA
#4 in K's

Post season awards

ABCA/Rawlings - 2nd Team All-American, 1st Team All-Region
D3baseball - 5th Team All-American, 1st Team All-Region
OAC - 1st Team