Since when is 4-1 an insurmountable lead?

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Since when is 4-1 an insurmountable lead?

Post by Frank Reagan »

Is it "unethical" or bush league to get insurance runs in a 4-1 game in the 6th inning by using "the old squeeze play"? I could see if it were a 9 or 10 run game, but a 3 run game?

Asking for a friend..... :roll:

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
FACSPORTS
JV Team

Re: Since when is 4-1 an insurmountable lead?

Post by FACSPORTS »

That's the thing with Baseball, there is no time limit or quarter length. If I'm coaching, I'm trying to score enough to run rule the opposing team, every game. A 4-1 lead can diminish VERY quickly. Say that the team that was ahead 4-1 in the 6th started playing conservative, say the losing team scored 4 runs in the 7th to win the game. The coach would be criticized for being too conservative and not playing to win. A lot of times, coaching is a lose/lose profession if you're trying to keep everyone happy. You have to do what you feel is best for your team. Playing small ball with a 4-1 lead is nothing compared to chucking threes or pressing with a 40pt lead in basketball, or throwing bombs with a 35pt lead in the 4th quarter of a football game.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Frank Reagan wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:56 am Is it "unethical" or bush league to get insurance runs in a 4-1 game in the 6th inning by using "the old squeeze play"? I could see if it were a 9 or 10 run game, but a 3 run game?

Asking for a friend..... :roll:
It isn’t. 3 runs in HS baseball is never insurmountable, no matter who the opponent or pitcher.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

In baseball, you win by as much as you can, as often as you can. There is a time for going station to station and not taking extra bases. However, anytime before that is not a place for the opposing team’s feelings. If they’re down by what they perceive as too many runs, they should get better. And no, 4-1 is not even remotely close to an insurmountable lead. Bush league would be taking extra bases and squeezing up 15-1.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

It's only insurmountable if your playing the Reds :lol: :lol:

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

We need the back story here.......

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

4-1, late in game. Team A is ahead and gets first two runners on and to second and third with zero outs. Team A has not hit ball well all day. Team A executes a successful squeeze with the #7 hitter, then repeats success with #8 hitter to make it a 6-1 score with the two insurance runs. After the game, coach of team B tells coach of team A, the squeeze was bush league and karma…….The end.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Embarrassing that team B Coach didn’t think his team were capable of coming back from a 4-1 deficit

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

If team B can't come back from down 4-1, Team A shouldn't worry about too much karma then. Also guessing team B was the home team? Had they scored enough runs to take the lead, I'm guessing coach wouldn't have said anything?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Boo hoo

Lord

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

No doubt. I hope team A drills team B next time.

Return to “Baseball”