Super Sectionals

SG REBEL

Super Sectionals

Post by SG REBEL »

Are we stuck with this forever? Looking at the brackets you get TVC teams playing Portsmouth teams in first round. Kind of defeats the purpose of calling it a sectional

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Super Sectionals

Post by Ironman92 »

SG REBEL wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:53 pm Are we stuck with this forever? Looking at the brackets you get TVC teams playing Portsmouth teams in first round. Kind of defeats the purpose of calling it a sectional
It’s fairer this way. Sometimes Waterford will go to Whiteoak and sometimes they’ll play Federal Hocking. More difficult for coaches to bond together to control the seedings.

I’d rather travel 3 hours to face the appropriate rank of a team than travel 25 minutes to play a team that should’ve been ranked 2-3 spots higher.

Or one sectional way tougher than another ….this way the SE District has a better chance of having the better teams representing the SE district at the district and regional levels.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:43 pm
SG REBEL wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:53 pm Are we stuck with this forever? Looking at the brackets you get TVC teams playing Portsmouth teams in first round. Kind of defeats the purpose of calling it a sectional
It’s fairer this way. Sometimes Waterford will go to Whiteoak and sometimes they’ll play Federal Hocking. More difficult for coaches to bond together to control the seedings.

I’d rather travel 3 hours to face the appropriate rank of a team than travel 25 minutes to play a team that should’ve been ranked 2-3 spots higher.

Or one sectional way tougher than another ….this way the SE District has a better chance of having the better teams representing the SE district at the district and regional levels.
Very well said.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

I will add, the only thing missing in the SE that is used in the rest of the Districts is the "choice" factor. Central District , for example, seed their teams, however they get a choice on the bracket where they want to go. This allows a team to decide to look ahead and figure what District or Regional they want to try and go for also if they don't want to travel a great distance pick a school closer.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

baseball16 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:57 am I will add, the only thing missing in the SE that is used in the rest of the Districts is the "choice" factor. Central District , for example, seed their teams, however they get a choice on the bracket where they want to go. This allows a team to decide to look ahead and figure what District or Regional they want to try and go for also if they don't want to travel a great distance pick a school closer.
Well the Central District actually gets the choice of which regional they want to go to. The SE and the E, never have that opportunity. In DIII you will go to the Chillicothe Regional (finals played in Columbus due to the turf and footware), DII is now TV (due to turf and footware), DIV is Lancaster, there are no choices. #1 seed can pick which bracket they want in, rest falls inline.

SG REBEL

Post by SG REBEL »

It isn’t right because of level of competition. TVC are getting ranked behind SOC teams that have a better record but played subpar competition. Have to travel halfway across the state to mercy teams. Few years ago eastern came across the number 6 state ranked and number 1 seed Portsmouth Clay and beat them by double digits in 5 innings. Dumb.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

SG REBEL wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:17 pm It isn’t right because of level of competition. TVC are getting ranked behind SOC teams that have a better record but played subpar competition. Have to travel halfway across the state to mercy teams. Few years ago eastern came across the number 6 state ranked and number 1 seed Portsmouth Clay and beat them by double digits in 5 innings. Dumb.
What year was this?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Good to see the TVC-Powerhouse division get their advocacy on this thread.

thirtyonetrap
Varsity

Post by thirtyonetrap »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:20 pm Good to see the TVC-Powerhouse division get their advocacy on this thread.
Glad you came on to do the same for the Fisher-Powerhouse program. Everyone deserves a voice. :mrgreen:

Hurting the feelings of the nadless wonders who are afraid to comment before the games.
Tvcfanatic
Varsity

Post by Tvcfanatic »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:20 pm Good to see the TVC-Powerhouse division get their advocacy on this thread.
@formerfcfan how is Fisher this year? meigs and them didn't play this year so I never got to watch them

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Tvcfanatic wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:30 pm
@formerfcfan how is Fisher this year? meigs and them didn't play this year so I never got to watch them
They’re down. No bones about it. They start five first-year players in the field and in the lineup. At times it is frustrating but it brings everything into perspective: it’s a game played by kids, and to appreciate the highs (strings of good seasons, last year’s team) you sometimes have to realize it isn’t guaranteed. Nevertheless I’m proud of our young guys that are continuing to improve and when they can contribute to a team effort. After 2020 I learned that you can’t take a single game, week or season for granted — and with that comes a newfound appreciation for the gift of high school baseball.

Plenty of respect to Meigs. Dodson threw a good game against us last year. If he’s pitching again this year I wish him and his teammates nothing but the best this May. It would be great to see the Maurauders play in June.

Tvcfanatic
Varsity

Post by Tvcfanatic »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:34 pm
Tvcfanatic wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:30 pm
They’re down. No bones about it. They start five first-year players in the field and in the lineup. At times it is frustrating but it brings everything into perspective: it’s a game played by kids, and to appreciate the highs (strings of good seasons, last year’s team) you sometimes have to realize it isn’t guaranteed. Nevertheless I’m proud of our young guys that are continuing to improve and when they can contribute to a team effort. After 2020 I learned that you can’t take a single game, week or season for granted — and with that comes a newfound appreciation for the gift of high school baseball.

Plenty of respect to Meigs. Dodson threw a good game against us last year. If he’s pitching again this year I wish him and his teammates nothing but the best this May. It would be great to see the Maurauders play in June.
Meigs is doing pretty well right now, dodson hasn't performed the same as he did last season in the last couple of games he has toed the mound but he is a heck of a pitcher and truly feel once he figures out the slump he'll be back on his A game, Ethan Stewart is performing like the MLB prospect that he is, I truly think meigs has of the best over all outfields in the tvc again this year with potential 1st team all tvc center fielder conner imboden (a junior who did not start last year but should have) and i believe we have the best fielding 3rd baseman in the tvc (senior theron eberts) i think meigs could make another run.

best of luck to our extra inning buddies at Fisher Catholic

SG REBEL

Post by SG REBEL »

Southern won the TVC and has to travel clear to Manchester for sectional game. I’ll put $100 on southern by 10+ tomorrow night. Dumbest idea ever

Coach Kennedy
Riding the Bench

Post by Coach Kennedy »

SG REBEL wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:14 pm Southern won the TVC and has to travel clear to Manchester for sectional game. I’ll put $100 on southern by 10+ tomorrow night. Dumbest idea ever
I'll take Manchester +10 for $100!

on the black
Freshman Team

Post by on the black »

Every bye and home sectional championship game went to SOC and SHAC schools. Absolute joke

on the black
Freshman Team

Post by on the black »

Southern wins. Eastern had the lead most of the game and ended up losing by 1. Traveling almost two hours is definitely a contributing factor. If you keep teams in their sectional like it always was all the best teams make districts. Eastern and Huntington should meet in Chillicothe and same for southern and Manchester if they can make it out of their respective sectional tournament

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

on the black wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:08 pm Southern wins. Eastern had the lead most of the game and ended up losing by 1. Traveling almost two hours is definitely a contributing factor. If you keep teams in their sectional like it always was all the best teams make districts. Eastern and Huntington should meet in Chillicothe and same for southern and Manchester if they can make it out of their respective sectional tournament
Disagree, especially when there is a disparity with most of the strength in one sectional area.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

mhs95_06 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:16 pm
on the black wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:08 pm Southern wins. Eastern had the lead most of the game and ended up losing by 1. Traveling almost two hours is definitely a contributing factor. If you keep teams in their sectional like it always was all the best teams make districts. Eastern and Huntington should meet in Chillicothe and same for southern and Manchester if they can make it out of their respective sectional tournament
Disagree, especially when there is a disparity with most of the strength in one sectional area.
Right. In DIII this year, the top 4 seeds would all have been from the “West”. The 11 from the West, just beat the 6 from the East 10-0 after a 2.5 bus ride on Monday

The better teams will win, no matter where they play. Hillsboro won the D2 Districts last year with driving an absurd amount of miles to each game. No excuses, just get better.

jose
Freshman Team

Post by jose »

Need to be able to go on bracket anywhere. Every other district does it that way but SE district is always years behind everything.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

jose wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:41 am Need to be able to go on bracket anywhere. Every other district does it that way but SE district is always years behind everything.
Yes, 100% agree.

That would ease the travel for most, if not all, teams that don’t want to travel.

Return to “Baseball”