Infield fly question

on the black
Freshman Team

Infield fly question

Post by on the black »

Runners on 1st and 2nd, one out. Pop up behind the mound, everyone lost it in the sun. Ball hits the ground. Umpire calls infield fly as the ball hits the ground. Batters called out. Pitcher picks the ball up and throws to first for double play. Coach argued forever and on the brink of getting tossed. What’s everyone’s thoughts on this play I witnessed tonight?

TIGER#27
JV Team

Re: Infield fly question

Post by TIGER#27 »

If infield fly is called runners advance on their own. Sucks if the umpire waited that long to call it though.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Infield Fly no matter Sun or not. Ump should call it earlier but batter is out. Runners run at their own risk.

southern ohio fan
Waterboy

Post by southern ohio fan »

If the ball was not caught, I'm not so sure the runner even has to tag up. So there should not have been a force play at first base. Batter is out, Although, I have been wrong before.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

If the runner from first is standing on the bag, then they should not be out in this situation. If they are off the bag, then it’s like previously stated, advancing at their own risk

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

It should have been called at the highest point

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

on the black wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:27 pm Runners on 1st and 2nd, one out. Pop up behind the mound, everyone lost it in the sun. Ball hits the ground. Umpire calls infield fly as the ball hits the ground. Batters called out. Pitcher picks the ball up and throws to first for double play. Coach argued forever and on the brink of getting tossed. What’s everyone’s thoughts on this play I witnessed tonight?
What did the runner on first do when the ball was in the air? What did the runner on first do after the ball hit the ground? Was the second out called as some kind of force out or tagged runner?

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

I always thought infield fly was called early, like when the ball was at or near its highest point. Several times this year it wasn't called until after the pop up was caught.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Infield Fly can be called at anytime. Ideally early, but at anytime. Kids and coaches need to understand situations and know how to play those situations.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Pol pot wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:20 pm Infield Fly can be called at anytime. Ideally early, but at anytime. Kids and coaches need to understand situations and know how to play those situations.
From the rule book:

“When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare "Infield Fly" for the benefit of the runners.”

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Raiderball wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:28 pm I always thought infield fly was called early, like when the ball was at or near its highest point. Several times this year it wasn't called until after the pop up was caught.
Ideally it is. But can be called late if needed.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

The infield fly should have been called earlier. As an umpire, it's one one-thousand, two one-thousand, then make the call.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…

Return to “Baseball”