No Umpires?

cavsfuhball
Riding the Bench

No Umpires?

Post by cavsfuhball »

I know it's been increasingly bad the last few years, but this year seems even worse. I'm hearing JV games getting cancelled left and right, and Varsity games (both baseball and softball) getting postponed because of not having umpires. Do we pay them enough? Do we treat them terribly? Are there just none available? What's the answer here?

MClaw
Freshman Team

Re: No Umpires?

Post by MClaw »

Pay baseball umps more than softball. Also, we shouldn't yell at them or confront them after games.

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

I would say the low pay, unruly fans, disrespectful players and coaches all play into the shortage. I know I wouldn't want to do it.

slayter
Riding the Bench

Post by slayter »

I think the only way to solve it is for teams/leagues to get together and find ways to build a fund specifically to pay more. There is no other argument other than the pay isn’t near enough to make it worthwhile, even if you love the game

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

My small two cents worth.

There are plenty of umpires registered, just not many working a FULL schedule. Many do not travel very far.
Pay does need to increase. Also, any umpire that says they went to softball because it is shorter is using that as a terrible excuse. Most baseball games last anywhere from 1:45 to 2:00 hrs. long. Pay them 90-100 and more will do it. Fans are closer and will say a few things here and there but I don't witness too much of the belligerent fan going crazy. Need to recruit more from colleges and other areas to get more of the Next generation involved.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

I agree that most off the varsity games I attend are right around 1 1/2 to 2 hours but JV games nearly always go much longer. I haven't heard any fans or coaches really get on umpires this year but I have only witnessed a a couple calls that made me go hmmmm, most games I don't even notice the men in blue. The umpires I have talked to usually mention the fees they must pay each year to do their job and the cost of the gear.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

My small two cents worth as we
I can't speak about High School Baseball or High School Softball either one, as I very seldom go to either one now days. I do attend quite a few University of Rio Grande Girls Softball games, both at home and away. Very seldom do we always agree with every call that has been made, even though we think we should be able too. I can honestly say that I have yet to see any of the umpires being abused by any Coaches, Players or by any Fans as well. In a few instances, I have seen a few discussions between Coaches and Umpires over maybe a close call, but everything seems to be very respectful. Now, I intend to go to a double header tomorrow, lets hope I'm not on here complaining about a call that didn't go the way I wanted it to go.

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

Did I read that two OVC league games were postponed due to no umpires? Are non-league games going to start suffering so that league games can be played?

cavsfuhball
Riding the Bench

Post by cavsfuhball »

I would not be surprised if the non-league games are getting cancelled for make-ups. I know FAC games are getting postponed as well.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Realist wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:43 pm Are non-league games going to start suffering so that league games can be played?
This happens every year.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

My son is a Jr in high-school and a licensed referee and umpire. He's made some pretty good money doing something he loves. He mostly does Jr high games and he's by himself. Lastnight he done a varsity baseball game by himself and made some really good money. Now if I can just teach him how to save it.

Leviticus
Riding the Bench

Post by Leviticus »

BigBlueNation wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:27 pm My son is a Jr in high-school and a licensed referee and umpire. He's made some pretty good money doing something he loves. He mostly does Jr high games and he's by himself. Lastnight he done a varsity baseball game by himself and made some really good money. Now if I can just teach him how to save it.
He done a fine job last night, the game wasn’t close but he handled himself well. He will be a good Ump/referee.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Leviticus wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:06 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:27 pm My son is a Jr in high-school and a licensed referee and umpire. He's made some pretty good money doing something he loves. He mostly does Jr high games and he's by himself. Lastnight he done a varsity baseball game by himself and made some really good money. Now if I can just teach him how to save it.
He done a fine job last night, the game wasn’t close but he handled himself well. He will be a good Ump/referee.
Thank you.

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:15 pm
Realist wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:43 pm Are non-league games going to start suffering so that league games can be played?
This happens every year.
Bc of umpire shortages?

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Realist wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:43 pm Did I read that two OVC league games were postponed due to no umpires? Are non-league games going to start suffering so that league games can be played?
No, non league games suffer because AD's and coaches cancel them to make up a game. Never see this in any other sport. Non League games suffer because coaches realize they don't have the pitching and just cancel. That is why non league games suffer. The season was extended a few years ago to allow teams the opportunity to play, however everyone's mind set is have to play League games ASAP. Then at tournament draw you will see some teams that have played 15-16 games compared to others that have not even played 10!

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

baseball16 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:49 am
Realist wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:43 pm Did I read that two OVC league games were postponed due to no umpires? Are non-league games going to start suffering so that league games can be played?
No, non league games suffer because AD's and coaches cancel them to make up a game. Never see this in any other sport. Non League games suffer because coaches realize they don't have the pitching and just cancel. That is why non league games suffer. The season was extended a few years ago to allow teams the opportunity to play, however everyone's mind set is have to play League games ASAP. Then at tournament draw you will see some teams that have played 15-16 games compared to others that have not even played 10!
Good points...I've always wondered why they try to cram 27 games into a season though? Why do baseball and softball play 27 when basketball and volleyball play 22? Playing 6 games in 6 days can be pretty hard on the athlete, no matter what sport. I always just assumed it was bc you schedule 27, but with rain-outs, you usually play 22-23? I feel the same way about MLB...162 games is a lot.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Realist wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:01 am
baseball16 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:49 am
Good points...I've always wondered why they try to cram 27 games into a season though? Why do baseball and softball play 27 when basketball and volleyball play 22? Playing 6 games in 6 days can be pretty hard on the athlete, no matter what sport. I always just assumed it was bc you schedule 27, but with rain-outs, you usually play 22-23? I feel the same way about MLB...162 games is a lot.
Because baseball is the best HS sport there is — that’s why!

27 is hard to get in, yes. Generally you can rack DH’s and Saturdays, especially that coveted last March Saturday in the traditional “opening day” to try and make it work. The better answer as to “why 27?” is baseball scheduling in general is a mess due to weather, so you want to tie down as many dates as possible. Nothing hurts the bones and souls of players & coaches worse than it being a nice day outside and no ball being played. Every nice day not being taken advantage of is one less day you can play and one less day you aren’t getting better.

If you can get 24 of 27 in, even if it means a pick-up, that’s a good situation you sit in and it means April had fortunate weather. It’s worth noting that one benefit of the maximum being 27 is that, if you’re at <24 or 25 or 26, and you’re deep in the tournament (e.g. between district finals and regional semi-finals) you can get a tune-up game for that ~week layoff. Same applies to the period between regional finals and state semi-finals. It’s the only sport where you can realistically get more work in after league play is done.

captain ensano
Waterboy

Post by captain ensano »

One thing that hurt not just baseball and softball umpires, but officials across all high sports was when they changed the tax system on it. Used to, as long as you didn't go over $600 from a school, u wouldn't get taxed. Now, as soon as you go over $600 in the arbitar system, you get a lovely 1099 in the mail and it's a pain in the butt. Used to, you would get paid as soon as you showed up by either cash or check. Now you have to transfer money and pay a fee to do that. Nobody wants that headache it seems.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

IMO, it is a combination of SOME fans being idiots, long games with baseball (double headers) and the pay is not the best. Getting refs for soccer, baseball/softball and track is very difficult because so many are leaving the game because of the above mentioned reasons. Personally, I would like to see the SOC institute a fine for any person9s) ejected from a game, notify the school they are from and they should not be allowed to return until the fine is paid. If a second offense occurs, a ban for the season should go into affect.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Zane Trace pays $75 for all high school sports.

Return to “Baseball”