Gallia Academy- 10 @ Marietta- 0 (6 innings)

old-timer
Freshman Team

Re: Gallia Academy- 10 @ Marietta- 0 (6 innings)

Post by old-timer »

What type of injuries? Do they have any idea how long they may be out? could be interesting with DoC coming up & tourney draw on May 2nd.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

gahs4ever wrote:There is a cliche in sports called the "home court/field advantage." Obviously the playing surface is the same for both teams, but it refers to the familiarity of playing in a comfortable setting where you dont have to endure long bus rides and more of your fans come out to support you.

The story of the home portion of the Gallia Academy softball schedule has been anything BUT a home field advantage. If Memorial Field isnt the worst facility in SE Ohio, I dont want to see one worse. And as I say this I must acknowledge the hard work of a few dedicated people who spend hundreds of hours trying to make the playing surface as playable as possible.

It's gotten to the point where I personally look forward to getting away from home, because most of the schools we play have sparkling new facilities with crushed brick infields, and smooth playing surfaces. Examples of these would be Ironton, Jackson, Chesapeake, and Point Pleasant. Marietta is an older facility but it is very well cared for and a nice place to play. GAHS was supposed to have their new Eastman Athletic Complex finished in time for spring, but delays forced us to return to Memorial Field.

But I digress. GAHS is 6-4 at home this year and has blown late leads in three of those losses to Warren, Jackson, and Ironton respectively. This afternoon the Blue Angels won their 6th road game of the year against only 1 loss (3-0 to Chesapeake) and have pitched back to back shutouts this week against Point Pleasant and Marietta in the process. Tomorrow GAHS travels to Portsmouth and hopes to continue their road success against the Lady Trojans. A Blue Angel win will clinch the SEOAL South and pit The Academy against Warren Local on May 5 in the SEOAL Day of Champions in Washington County.

I don't think that Warren has yet "clinched" the north 1st place. If they happen to lose to Chilli tomorrow and Marietta would happen to beat Logan tomorrow, it would set it up so that a Marietta win at Warren Friday would make the two teams tied at 6-3, and Marietta would get the nod with taking the series vs. Warren.

Marietta's game at Logan tomorrow is big as far as the All Sports Championship also, and Marietta not losing the lead they have after winter sports. If Marietta loses, they'll be playing in the 5th place game, and if they win, it will be no worse than the 3rd place game.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

old-timer wrote:What type of injuries? Do they have any idea how long they may be out? could be interesting with DoC coming up & tourney draw on May 2nd.

Since Carpenter played tonight, and had a hit, its probably something that affects pitching. The Marietta Times mentioned that in the win over Warren Friday that Carpenter had a sore arm earlier in the week.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

gahs4ever wrote:Sorry. I thought Warren had only the one North loss, and I knew Marietta has three. My bad, and I will correct.

Warren does only have the one north loss, but they could lose two, and Marietta could win two, making them both 6-3 with Marietta losing once to each team, and winning two against each team, thus taking the tie breaker. All this scenario is big IFs!

Return to “Softball”