JV Team

WOW!!!

Post by Matt52 »

Fairland beat Coal Grove 26-3 in 5 innings

wemufans
All Conference

Re: WOW!!!

Post by wemufans »

Poor sportmanship!!! After beating a team badly the first time :As a coach, you can hold runners, have kids bunt on third strike, have kids slap from the left side who don't know how, change your lineup, start the weakest pitcher you have etc. Don't run up the score just cause you can!!! Paybacks are not nice and it wll bite you in the butt later on!!!!

SBlover
Freshman Team

Post by SBlover »

Yep thats what our coach does. Has player leave the bag early, etc. Its really horrible of a coach to want to run a score up like that. Our coach didn't even do that to a team that did that to use in basketball kept all their starters in all 4 quarters we were down 40 some points so our coach put in the jv players this team was still pressuring us stealing the ball. It was sad but when we play them in softball we dominate them but our coach doesn't run up the score as paybacks. Even though our girls would like him too but it shows them good sportsmanship. But their are alot of coaches who do this. Sad..

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

gahs4ever wrote:I wasnt there, but I would make one observation and ask one question.

The observation is this: It is not the responsibility of the winning coach to "hold" the score down on an opponent who cannot compete. His girls work hard too, and if he is carrying 15 or more girls on his roster, you cant put the girls in who dont get much playing time and just tell them to quit trying because the score is embarrassing,

I agree that there are some things you can do in the way of not stealing or taking extra bases, but in the case of our team, we have 6 bench players who for the most part are role players being used as courtesy/pinch runners, and flex players. It isnt fair to them to ask them to lay down because the other team is pathetic. The same thing is true about using our "worst pitcher." They keep stats on her too and why should she groove pitches and inflate her ERA because the other team cant hit?

The question? Did the coach of the team ahead use every available bench player as much as he could? Personally, if he did and I was on the losing end, that would be more embarrassing than the score because it would be saying we got smoked by the other team's reserves.

Unfortunately blow outs are a part of any sport, and coaches get accused of "running up the score" against inferior competition all too often; sometimes deservedly so. I guess I was just raised to believe if Im not good enough to be competitive, why add to the embarrassment by having our opponents almost literally lay down until the fifth inning gets there?

i agree

Return to “Softball”