Minford coach and AD crying foul...

ARCH NEMESIS
Waterboy

Minford coach and AD crying foul...

Post by ARCH NEMESIS »

Apparently Minford's coach and/or athletic director are more than a little sore that they lost two significant players to transfer to Clay. They have filed a protest, alleging among other things that the two girls haven't moved out of the district and are still living in their old house (false), and even that the address where they moved to is a barn in Rosemount (also false). These ridiculous accusations have resulted in the two girls being temporarily ruled ineligible to play until an investigation is completed. It is my understanding that they intend for this to go all the way to a hearing, which will supposedly not take place until mid-April, resulting in the two players missing a significant portion of the season. I'd really like to hear their side of the story, because on the surface, this gives the Minford district and athletic department a huge black eye.

LET THE GIRLS PLAY.

ChillSoftball
Freshman Team

Re: Minford coach and AD crying foul...

Post by ChillSoftball »

You'd think that Scioto county schools would be used to this stuff by now.

Nine20four
Freshman Team

Post by Nine20four »

My knowledge of the situation is limited, but the fact Minford filed such a baseless complaint confirms that the girls' decision to transfer was a good one.

headhunter1
Freshman Team

Post by headhunter1 »

fire the coach, he was the coach of the year right. its the going thing right now

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

Was someone else fired?

headhunter1
Freshman Team

Post by headhunter1 »

keller at nd

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

WHAT!!! why?

headhunter1
Freshman Team

Post by headhunter1 »

Not sure, I was told he did nothing wrong. ive tried to call him but no answer.

upi34
Riding the Bench

Post by upi34 »

Well...if you move in the middle of a school year...thus playing a fall sport at one school and a spring sport at another...you can expect an investigation...it is standard procedure...it is a red flag for the state and they are going to do their own investigation. I think Clay is a bit upset because they can use the players...

Nine20four
Freshman Team

Post by Nine20four »

I don't believe it's "standard procedure" unless a coach or district requests an investigation.

upi34
Riding the Bench

Post by upi34 »

Nine20four wrote:I don't believe it's "standard procedure" unless a coach or district requests an investigation.
Just read the updates sent out by the OHSAA...they are really starting to focus on this stuff now...not saying whether this case is right or wrong...but they are looking at transfers much more closely...sorry to upset you...just making an observation...don't have a dog in the fight...I was simply trying to have a conversation...maybe with some of the other folks on Preps who are quite as sensitive

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

Why did they move from the school that was so successful last year? Dont they have a brother that is still enrolled at Minford?

Spring_Fever
Waterboy

Post by Spring_Fever »

Too many kids all over the region who have had to sit out a year to get a whole lot of sympathy on this one…As much as eligibility rules stink they are in place for a reason…every school in the county has students who have left for one reason or another and many of those same schools probably have kids on their rosters right now who could be playing, but aren’t, because of eligibility rules.
The OHSAA isn’t stupid…people try this stuff all the time…especially in bigger sports like football and basketball…they have people on staff whose primary jobs are to investigate these situations.
Everyone who moves or transfers has to fill out an affidavit…every single one of those affidavits is reviewed and investigated…period.
OHSAA is the governing board, and their rules are the rules…you either follow them, or you try to get around them…As much as it stinks, all the kids who are, or have, sat out a year followed the rules.
As much as it stinks, the situation sounds a little bit like people trying to beat the system, but finding out it wasn’t as easy as they thought it would be…this eligibility stuff is no joke anymore.

Troy
Freshman Team

Post by Troy »

If I was a coach I would wish them well and leave them alone. They don't want to be there...heck with them. Did the coach not handle something well to make them both mad? Dad was the assistant coach....falling out?

ARCH NEMESIS
Waterboy

Post by ARCH NEMESIS »

If the family moves to another district, the kids are eligible to play in the new district are they not? Someone enlighten me. It seems pretty easy. You drive by the old house and see all the utilities cut off, no one living there, then you drive by the new house and see that they have established their residence there. How hard is that to do that it takes a month? I know some of the particulars in this case and can confidently say the family isn't trying to get around the rules and that the complaint is fabricated by someone with an axe to grind.

Troy
Freshman Team

Post by Troy »

Who's got the ax? Coach or AD

upi34
Riding the Bench

Post by upi34 »

I don't know that the coach has anything to do with it...I believe it involves OHSAA and the administration from both schools. My understanding is that it involves more than just physical location...it involves the "intent"...otherwise the kids could manipulate the system in all kinds of ways...what would be the limit in the number of moves? In this case, can the Minford kid move back and play soccer at the first of next year...I know you can return to your "home" school once...Not sure how the determine "intent" though...I am "old school" in all this...miss the days where kids just played and didn't switch around so much. Those days are long gone... :(

MrHEAT
Riding the Bench

Post by MrHEAT »

upi34 wrote:I don't know that the coach has anything to do with it...I believe it involves OHSAA and the administration from both schools. My understanding is that it involves more than just physical location...it involves the "intent"...otherwise the kids could manipulate the system in all kinds of ways...what would be the limit in the number of moves? In this case, can the Minford kid move back and play soccer at the first of next year...I know you can return to your "home" school once...Not sure how the determine "intent" though...I am "old school" in all this...miss the days where kids just played and didn't switch around so much. Those days are long gone... :(
Totally agree!

third base
Waterboy

Post by third base »

I know this family personally and have heard the facts in this story. These girls are teenagers and are not trying to manipulate anyone so lets just drop that now. This family had started searching for a new school after some things happened at Minford involving their son and his moving out of their house. Their decision to move to Clay had alot to do with the fact that the girls mom has a brother that teaches at clay. Her whole family is alumini of Minford. They live in Rosemount and no longer in Minford. They live behind McDonalds off of Hogan. They are big advocates of their kids bringing home good grades. The oldest daughter graduated in the top three in her class at Minford, so that is a huge factor in their move. It is just sad that coaches and faculty at Minford are trying to ruin KIDS from playing ball. That shows you the character of the coach and the A.D. One of things that is being investigated is the fact that they have a son that stayed at Minford. The A.d. presented this to the Ohio Athletic association saying that "they left their son behind who had to move in with friends to complete his senior year." Their son moved out of their house in July and did not live with them any of this schoolyear which made him an "adult" and no longer a member of that household. Their son is failing three classes at this time. Now that football is over Minford faculty is not too concerned with his grades. It is a shame for Minford A.D. to purposely drag this out when he in fact knew the circumstances, he was approached by the father and told that his son could do what he wanted to do because he was 18. So a total misrepresentation of facts was presented to the commissioner when in fact they knew this was not true. The older daughter will graduate this year and the younger one wasnt going to play soccer her senior year regardless of whether they moved or not. The mom and dad struggled with the decision to move because it would be hard yanking kids out of school as a junior and senior, but the decision was ultimately theirs and had their girls best interest at heart. So to ax all of the rumors, this is the truth. I have talked to this family on an ongoing basis and feel bad that adults are purposely trying to ruin two girls softball seasons. The softball coach always told them that he didnt need them so why the big deal now? Leave these girls alone, they are GOOD kids. LET THEM PLAY BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iam4osu
JV Team

Post by iam4osu »

I would really like to hear the other side to this story ..
They have a history there at Minford but yet pulled the girls out...
The parents are as much to blame for the sons grades as is the school, 18 or not they are his parents....
OHSAA has cracked down big time on stories such as this ..boys-girls doesnt matter.
If the girls are eligible then they will get to play , but it is no suprise there is an investigation.

Return to “Softball”