Minford coach and AD crying foul...

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Re: Minford coach and AD crying foul...

Post by ManitouDan »

should adults be posting a kids grades on here ? Cmon lets not turn SEOP into Topix.

upi34
Riding the Bench

Post by upi34 »

ManitouDan wrote:should adults be posting a kids grades on here ? Cmon lets not turn SEOP into Topix.
Agreed!

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

It's simply uncalled for that student-athletes to change schools in middle of school year. I understand need to move family to a better home, but it's not like a long distant haul to school. Like out of the county or state. Only a short drive from Rosemount to Minford. Talk about a failure of school pride and as The Beach Boys sing, "Be True To Your School".

bragdad2305
Riding the Bench

Post by bragdad2305 »

This post is not specifically targeted to this situation and these athletes so I'm not condemning what has been done but... I'm going to use this post to unleash some frustrations of today's mindset. It seems like when something doesn't go our way or we get mad at someone at a school district the first thing we do is pick up and move our kids to a different school system. Now what does this teach them? If something happens that we don't like, don't worry, we can just move or run away from our problems hoping that the grass is greener on the other side (which usually it isn't). That's not the best thing to teach them, especially in an economy and job situation that our citizens are faced with today. Now I know that maybe we are avoiding confrontation but sometimes confrontation and talking about the problem instead of running away is a better solution. Like someone else posted, stay true to your school, through thick and thin. Okay, I'm off my soap box now.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

On the legitimate move afidavit, the parents must now get their drivers liscense changed to match their new address and get their voters registration changed to match their new address. There is a 20 some question form that they also sign and have notarized. Any of these steps not being completed correctly can keep the student ineligible. Trust me, I have seen it take 2 to 4 weeks now to get this taken care of.

third base
Waterboy

Post by third base »

Only posted grades because it was relevant to the story. Now one had a problem with the statement that the girls were trying to manipulate the system. Also, how can a parent be responsible for grades when the son does not and has not lived with them since July.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

This is not the first time Minford has lost players to Clay. How would Clay react if it were the opposite? I would like to see the girls play at Clay, however this should have been handled prior to softball season and there would not have been such a problem. Good Luck Girls!

Nine20four
Freshman Team

Post by Nine20four »

I'll tell you how I think Clay would react...in the best interests of the kids involved, and that would be to say "good luck at your knew school". They would NOT fabricate stories or make false allegations as some sort of revenge, which is really what this is all about.

DaRecGuy
Freshman Team

Post by DaRecGuy »

How about the fact that they transfer for "academic reasons" according to paperwork and based on the state averages, Minford has a higher grade than Clay. So this would automatically send up a red flag to OHSAA, why transfer for "academic reasons" to a school with a lesser curriculum????? I can see why they want to look into it further. The coach alone can NOT stop a player from playing for another school, so get over that!

Sharpie
Riding the Bench

Post by Sharpie »

ARCH NEMESIS wrote:Apparently Minford's coach and/or athletic director are more than a little sore that they lost two significant players to transfer to Clay. They have filed a protest, alleging among other things that the two girls haven't moved out of the district and are still living in their old house (false), and even that the address where they moved to is a barn in Rosemount (also false). These ridiculous accusations have resulted in the two girls being temporarily ruled ineligible to play until an investigation is completed. It is my understanding that they intend for this to go all the way to a hearing, which will supposedly not take place until mid-April, resulting in the two players missing a significant portion of the season. I'd really like to hear their side of the story, because on the surface, this gives the Minford district and athletic department a huge black eye.

LET THE GIRLS PLAY.
Is Clay "open enrollment"

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Nine20four wrote:I'll tell you how I think Clay would react...in the best interests of the kids involved, and that would be to say "good luck at your knew school". They would NOT fabricate stories or make false allegations as some sort of revenge, which is really what this is all about.
Awesome.........glad to hear this!

Bunt2207
Waterboy

Post by Bunt2207 »

daRecGuy wrote:How about the fact that they transfer for "academic reasons" according to paperwork and based on the state averages, Minford has a higher grade than Clay. So this would automatically send up a red flag to OHSAA, why transfer for "academic reasons" to a school with a lesser curriculum????? I can see why they want to look into it further. The coach alone can NOT stop a player from playing for another school, so get over that!

This statement has obviously not been looked into at all. Although Minford may have more classes to choose from, Clay students' ACT scores are ON RECORD higher than Minford Students'. Their curriculum is more challenging. Therefore, less students are going to be on the "A Honor Roll," etc. because they're actually earning the credit they get.

Bunt2207
Waterboy

Post by Bunt2207 »

daRecGuy wrote:How about the fact that they transfer for "academic reasons" according to paperwork and based on the state averages, Minford has a higher grade than Clay. So this would automatically send up a red flag to OHSAA, why transfer for "academic reasons" to a school with a lesser curriculum????? I can see why they want to look into it further. The coach alone can NOT stop a player from playing for another school, so get over that!

This information is inaccurate... The students' GPAs at Minford may be higher. But Clay's curriculum is more challenging which would cause only those students who have worked for the "Honor Roll," "Honor Society," and other Honors based on grades to achieve them. Clay students' ACT scores are on average 1 point higher than Minford's. Although this does not seem like much: To anyone who has gone to, or applied to any College or University recently, That number means A LOT. And every point counts.

little doggy
Freshman Team

Post by little doggy »

If decrecguy is correct and the parents put down academic reasons for leaving and minford is rated higher in academics , did you really think the ohsaa wouldnt red flag that :122246 wow probably need to read the cans and cannots before you fill out paperwork, so before people blame whomever at minford , might want to look at who filled out paper work, wonder what was put on line 24 of the affidavit for bona fide change of residence,

GreenGrass
Freshman Team

Post by GreenGrass »

The state report card is not based on student's GPA and ACT scores, it's OGT, attendace, graduation rate, AYP, etc., that would be the academic basis that the two schools are compared with by the state. These can change from year to year, according to how each school scores.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

I am so sick of kids "taking their ball and going someplace else" because they are not getting their way. I feel if you transfer in the middle of the year you should have to sit out. Once you start at the high school if you move to a neighboring district you should also have to sit out. There should be some sort of mile range say 20-30 miles or greater that you would not have to sit out. Granted if your parents get a job transfer then no you should be eligible to move to a new school if you are moving more thatn 20- 30 miiles. But going from school to school to get your way should be investigated. there was a kid form Rock Hill that went to three schools in two years. RH ,Ironton and Coal Grove. His parents "moved" and then he declared himself and adult and moved out on this own when he turned 18. I know nothing about this situation in particular but something in the state needs to be done about it.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Where is all this outrage when a kid leaves to go to a private or religious school? Africentric just won a state championship with three girls who didn't go there last year! I really don't understand how this can be perceived as a level playing field between Public an Private. The voting last year made me scratch my old bald noggin. Alexander caught it as girls moved in from Athens and Jackson yet no one seems upset that 3 great ball players (2 from a school banned from post season play) move to another school (abet a Public one). Does anyone really feel Eastern got a fair shake having to play this team?

third base
Waterboy

Post by third base »

Just heard that they received word from Columbus that they are eligible to play, so all of this talk about them can now stop.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

upi34 wrote:In this case, can the Minford kid move back and play soccer at the first of next year...I know you can return to your "home" school once...Not sure how the determine "intent" though...I am "old school" in all this...miss the days where kids just played and didn't switch around so much. Those days are long gone... :(
No, you must stay at the "new" school at least 1 full calendar year as far as sports go before you are eligible to return to your "old" school and play again. I am sure that this rule was put into place just to prevent what you are saying. They don't allow kids to play a fall sport at one school because they have a better team and then go to another school and play spring sports because that school is better in another sport. If a return to Minford would be made, the student would not be eligible for sports until one year from the original transfer date.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

Fortdawg wrote:Where is all this outrage when a kid leaves to go to a private or religious school? Africentric just won a state championship with three girls who didn't go there last year! I really don't understand how this can be perceived as a level playing field between Public an Private. The voting last year made me scratch my old bald noggin. Alexander caught it as girls moved in from Athens and Jackson yet no one seems upset that 3 great ball players (2 from a school banned from post season play) move to another school (abet a Public one).

" Does anyone really feel Eastern got a fair shake having to play this team?"
Better Africentric than Berlin Highland. Highland would have beat eastern by 50! Public school too. As far as the girls transferring, if that is what is important to them and they can't succeed on that team and leave; more power to them. If somebody didn't want to play for me, I would say whatever and be done with.

Return to “Softball”