Best Ironladies Softball Team??

shortstop07
Waterboy

Best Ironladies Softball Team??

Post by shortstop07 »

Which team in Jackson High School Softball team have been the best???

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Re: Best Ironladies Softball Team??

Post by footballfanatic1 »

Is this a trick question? 2012 lol....

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I'll bite. I've been pretty familiar with the majority of the Ironladies softball teams dating back to the very late 80's. The 2012 team won the league and none of the rest have....and they've faced a very tough schedule along the way. The 2012 team also has played the most softball, at a high level prior to becoming varsity players. With travel ball so overwhelming around here I'd venture to say that the district has more very good teams than ever.

I think Jackson went to the regional semis back in....1995? I believe Amber Pratt was a freshman and had a slew of good players around her (Rebecca Sexton, Kelli Curtis, Cindy Crooks, Tonya Sexton, Julie Bentley)....softball wasn't quite as good then IMO.....but that team is definitely in the mix.

Pitching wasn't very strong back when I was in school but if any team can possibly top the talent of the current team it was back in 1989. Cindy Ridgeway, Shelly Moore, Tiffany Reasor, Billina Cooper, Melinda ???, Jody Boroff...others I just can't quite name....but those I mentioned were 3-4 year starters and some of the top athletes in the school.

The 1978-1980 teams were league champs (banner in gym says 1980 also) and the 1979 team went all the way to the state finals but softball was slow pitch and the state had just gained enough schools to adopt it as a sport. I know Anne Greene was a tremendous player on those historic teams.

coachperWHS
Riding the Bench

Post by coachperWHS »

Jackson went to the regionals (and perhaps to the state) in 78 or 79. They played and defeated Wellston at Lancaster in the regionals. They were not playing slow pitch then.

When I started umpiring in the late 70s there were some teams still playing slow pitch, but that tournament was a fast-pitch tournament.

Congratulations to this year's team.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

coachperWHS wrote:Jackson went to the regionals (and perhaps to the state) in 78 or 79. They played and defeated Wellston at Lancaster in the regionals. They were not playing slow pitch then.

When I started umpiring in the late 70s there were some teams still playing slow pitch, but that tournament was a fast-pitch tournament.

Congratulations to this year's team.
You're old lol

Thanks for the info coach. What is your recollection of softball in this area and how current teams compare to past teams?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I92 ... Did Alex play Jackson tonight in softball .... or baseball?

coachperWHS
Riding the Bench

Post by coachperWHS »

Ironman92.....old???? I am just vastly experienced...lol

I along with Bobby Walton were two of the originals in umpiring softball around this area. I don't think the pitching from that era matches the pitching that we see today. There were some hitters that were very good and could have matched with some of the hitters we have today.

The games, on average, were much more offensive (probably in relation to the pitching not being as developed as it is today). The Jackson-Wellston game at Lancaster was still pretty exciting as I recall.

I have coached football at the varsity level, boy's and girl's basketball at the varsity level, and track and field at the varsity level; however, I never had as much fun as I have coaching the fast-pitch softball. I have continuously worked with softball now for nearly 35 years as an umpire and now a coach. I love this game!

footballfanatic1
All Conference

do the Ironladie play at home or away tonight?

shortstop07
Waterboy

Post by shortstop07 »

They had a heck of a team in 2006 & 2007 with a couple of girls winning ALL-SEOAL, Distric and even one girl winning 1st Team-All Ohio I think! I think the Warren, Logan, and Gallia teams were better back then they are now. Not to take away from what the team has done this year but they don't play enought fast pitch softball around here, you need to go to a bigger city with more opertunity to show there talents to college coaches if they want to play in college.

old-timer
Freshman Team

Post by old-timer »

The 2006-07 team did have some VERY talented players on it, BUT the post said "TEAM". That is why you need to consider many factors. When you take in consideration 40ft vs 43ft, specs on bats, specs on balls, "NOT FAIR TO COMPARE TEAMS OF PAST TO PRESENT". Lets just say this, Nice teams and players from past, BUT we are very proud of waht this team achieved in 2012.

Won a league title for ALL past IRONLADIES to be proud of.

Troy
Freshman Team

Post by Troy »

There is almost always a couple or more girls make all-SEOAL and all-district.

All-Ohio is very special.....what player was 1st team all-Ohio?

This year's team might have 4 or 5 make all-league and some recognition of all-district.

As for playing in the bigger cities? There are dozens of girls currently playing in the SE District that will play college ball without going to the big city.

I don't understand the "enough fastpitch around here" comment.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Tell us about the 2006 and 2007 teams. Who was their pitcher? Record? Non-league schedule? Players?

old-timer
Freshman Team

Post by old-timer »

not sure of records. But pitcher--haley callahan, catcher--Legg, 1st base--Kristen Joseph, 2nd base -- Katy Davis and Angel Smith, SS--Rebecca Childers, 3rd Base--Danielle Miller, Outfielders--Haley Riegel, Suzie Jones?, Lauren Parker?. Maybe Ladoska Garvey?

I believe thiswasmuch of the starting line-up, but not sure.
I wasthe reserve coach during this particular year and saw lots of ability and untapped potential. Recall losing in sectionals to Vinton County on a homerun in I believe the bottom of the 6th inning.

Nice team if the one in which I was thinking.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

that team was a good team but did not hit nearly as good as the 2012 team. if i remember correctly.

old-timer
Freshman Team

Post by old-timer »

May very well be thinking correct, VCROCKS. Like I mentioned, bats specs have changed, some legal then , not now legal and vice-versa, Balls core has changed and PITCHING NOW 43 FEET. Comparing not necessary NOR fair to players of each squad.

This 2012 squad, Top-to-Bottom -- More Complete, as a TEAM!!! 2007 team may have had some higher Peofile Players with more flash and superstar qualities.

This 2012 TEAM Doesn't have that one or two superstars that excel in every game. They rely and believe in each others abilities and are complete DEFENSIVE, OFFENSIVE, BASERUNNING, PITCHING, DISCIPLINE, AND HEART...

2007 team was very nice squad though as well!!!

Return to “Softball”