Scimmage game question

Gopher
Varsity

Scimmage game question

Post by Gopher »

Got a scrimmage question for the forum. OHSAA states that you are allowed a total of 4 scrimmages or 3 scrimmages and 1 Preview of not more than 5 innings.

My question is :
If you go to a multiple team scrimmage and play 2-3 scrimmage games against different schools, does each game count toward your 4 total ?

Thanks.

old-timer
Freshman Team

Re: Scimmage game question

Post by old-timer »

VERY GOOD QUESTION!!!

This is a case of interpretation... The way I read the rules (NOT SAYING INTERPRET CORRECTLY, BUT HAVE BEEN A LICENSED UMPIRE FOR HIGH SCHOOL AS WELL AS A COACH FOR A WHILE). MY BELIEF IS: Once the first pitch is thrown to start A SCRIMMAGE, A team may play for 3 hours (I believe the word consecutive is in that definition). That means that if you sit out in a rotation and play 3 opponents during a 4 hour period having played each opponent for ONE HOUR, I THINK THIS IS AGAINST THE STATED RULE..... I have always been willing to play 2 opponents for 1 1/2 hours each or play a 4 team scrimmage for 50 minutes each, without any break... ONCE AGAIN, this is my interpretation>>> Another view, I know when we umpired scrimmages, AT 3 hours, umpires walked off the field to keep from having to be witness to any illegal scrimmage lengths in regards to time..

I am usually PRETTY SOUND when it comes to understanding the RULES, but this is one that I would like to see an OHSAA administrator give clarification on this one... I know there have been infractions of SCRIMMAGE PRACTICES IN THE PAST, AND I CALLED THOSE INFRACTIONS, NOT SURE ON THIS ONE...

GOOD LUCK TO ALL SOFTBALL players this spring...

TO answer the question: I say ONE SCRIMMAGE IF finished within 3 consecutive hours, but the STATE needs to be clearer with those type of rulings...

HHSSoftball
Riding the Bench

Post by HHSSoftball »

Here is OHSAA regulation regarding scrimmages. There is no 3 consecutive hour rule here... you can only play for a maximum of 3 hours on any given DAY against any number of teams for it to count as only 1 scrimmage. Hopefully this answers your question

Interscholastic Scrimmage
22.1) An interscholastic scrimmage is defined as a contest in sports in which the rules of the sport are not followed in all respects. The length of the scrimmage is limited to a maximum of three hours per squad or individual per day for grades 9-12, and two hours per squad or individual per day for grades 7-8.
22.2) A scrimmage may involve any number of teams from various schools. A scrimmage does not count in the won/lost record for any school involved in the scrimmage.

HHSSoftball
Riding the Bench

Post by HHSSoftball »

Sorry for failing to mention... This is a very good question and one that I am often asked about. At Huntington we hold an 8 team scrimmage each year and rotate teams through. No team plays more than 3 hours (each play 3 different teams 55 minutes each) as to not violate this rule, and thus only counting as 1 scrimmage for each team!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I was close gopher!

old-timer
Freshman Team

Post by old-timer »

Hello HHSSoftball,

Went and looked it up myself again, seems like I had read a word into it that wasn't there.. That is why I ask for others Interpretation. Thanks for clarification. :) See you soon, best of luck..

Gopher
Varsity

Post by Gopher »

Thanks for the info ! Good stuff.

Next question:
Say there is a multiple team scrimmage, games are 1 hour apart, ( assuming the playing time would be 55 min. ) and a team is scheduled to play at 10, 12, 4, & 5. Would that not extend past the 3 hour limit and be considered as 2 scrimmages?

HHSSoftball
Riding the Bench

Post by HHSSoftball »

If your assumption of the playing time is correct... yes, that would have to count as 2 scrimmages. however, if the game times are shortened to 45 minutes, you could still be within the 3 hour per day window.

Return to “Softball”