Middle School Softball

fpcoach
Freshman Team

Post by fpcoach »

sball32 Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:03 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ManitouDan wrote:
maybe if the teams with Jr High programs start winning all the conference titles at the HS level that may change the minds of the "higher ups" . Other than ASA there is no other other place for 7-8th graders to play. And travel isn't for everyone. Hopefully this will catch on . MD

I'm going to have to stop you right there. Jr High (middle school) can play legally at the high school level. BUT, say they play both their 7th and 8th grade years, that leaves them with 2 years of High School Eligibility left. You only get four years of high school eligibility. So, it really wouldn't be logical to do that, ya think? Trimble, Federal Hocking, maybe Nelsonville and maybe a few others have a small league where they play around 10 games(middle school girls)

OHSAA Bylaw1-1-2 Students enrolled below the seventh grade are ineligible for participation in interscholastic
athletics. Students enrolled in grades 7 or 8 are ineligible for interscholastic competition on
the same squad with students in grade 9 or higher. Exception —A student who attains the
age of 15 prior to August 1 is eligible for interscholastic athletics only at the high school
level not to exceed eight semesters.

SPHSsoftball5
Waterboy

Post by SPHSsoftball5 »

i dont really know what my thoughts are on this topic, it would be a good idea but you have MS track and that would take girls away from that.. but really i dont know how i feel about this i kno when i was in middle schol i would have loved it ..

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

Anybody know when these games will be played? Is it during the week or just on the weekends.? I bet that we might be able to get a team from Lawrence County together but probably not one team from each school. I may try to work on this.

fpcoach
Freshman Team

Post by fpcoach »

Games will be scheduled, one in the week and a double-header on the weekend. The coaches of the scheduled game will adjust the game date if needed; it is a very flexible schedule. This program is working in a lot of other areas and needs to be implemented in our area to raise the playing ability of our athletes.

fpcoach
Freshman Team

Middle School Softball League

Post by fpcoach »

Southern Ohio Club
Softball League
This is a league for middle school athletes
Grades 6th, 7th and 8th
Scioto, Lawrence, and Jackson Counties.
7th grade division, 6th and 7th graders.
8th grade division 6th, 7th, and 8th graders
League starts on 29th of March and ends with a double elimination tournament the week of May 3rd.
Around 15 league games and minimum of 2 tournament games will be played.

Teams that have shown interest:

Notre Dame 6th & 7th Grade
Notre Dame 8th Grade
East 8th Grade
South Webster 8th Grade
Coal Grove ?
Clay 8th Grade
Minford (possible)
Northwest (possible)

Team signup and an organizational meeting will be held at Notre Dame High School in the Cafeteria on
Saturday February 9th, 2008 at 1:00 pm.

For more information please call Darrell Keller at (740) 285-7566.

trojan_football
Waterboy

Post by trojan_football »

to be honest i think that one of the best 8th grade softball players in the are is Kasey Simpson from portsmouth if u dont believe me come chec her out this season

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

What league would this girl be playing in ? Will portsmouth jr high field a team ? They don't have a senior league for 13-15 yr olds in portsmouth do they ? Thanks MD

Liberal:(n) A person so open minded their brains fell out .
trojan_football
Waterboy

Post by trojan_football »

i am not sure that they will have a jr high team but yea they will have a 13-15 league

racenut70
JV Team

Post by racenut70 »

Coal Grove High School girls will have a new coaching staff this year. Haven't heard about any jr. high program.

juke boxer
JV Team

Post by juke boxer »

I sure would like to see the Ironton coaches get involved in this. What a great feeder program. Could be nothing but beneficial !!

Waiting to visualize the sight of TC 71 at an away TIGER game .
ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

I heard someone did go to the meeting JB.
BTW Florida weather sunny and 70ish today

Never Give Up!
osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

I bet that $250 came in handy for buying that airplane ticket! It's actually warmer here right now and may make it to 50. Right now it is 47. Have a safe flight back home!

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

osumufan wrote:I bet that $250 came in handy for buying that airplane ticket! It's actually warmer here right now and may make it to 50. Right now it is 47. Have a safe flight back home!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

It would have,had I gotten it.
Daytona weather mid 70's.
Btw the last wreck at the truck race happened right in front of us,a piece of a truck landed right beside of me :shock:

Never Give Up!
fpcoach
Freshman Team

Post by fpcoach »

Southern Ohio Softball Club

Teams that have shown interest:

Notre Dame 6th & 7th Grade Confirmed
Notre Dame 8th Grade Confirmed
East 8th Grade Confirmed
Ironton Confirmed
Clay 8th Grade Confirmed
South Webster 7th Grade Confirmed
Coal Grove ? Still hearing there is a team
Northwest (possible) They need a coach
Valley (possible)

Next meeting will be held at Notre Dame High School in the Cafeteria on Sunday February 24th, 2008 at 1:00pm.
Last edited by fpcoach on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Underdog2006
Freshman Team

Post by Underdog2006 »

fpcoack- Have you talked to someone from Valley? I hope they join in. I just hope they do it quick before track starts. I know some softball girls have already signed up for track. We haven't heard anything about a jh team but I hope they do.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Combining a 7-8th grade is fine or allowing a few 6th graders tp play up is fine. 2-3 more teams would make a great league. C'mon join in ! MD

Liberal:(n) A person so open minded their brains fell out .
fpcoach
Freshman Team

Post by fpcoach »

I have talked to several people from Valley and there is a lot of interest in getting into the league. Scoob told me that the School was blocking it.

This is CLUB ball and does not need to be approved by any school

An individual can start his or her own team.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Northwest doesn't have a coach yet? Hopefully a parent will or someone will step up and take part of it.

fpcoach
Freshman Team

Post by fpcoach »

Southern Ohio Club
Softball League

6 Teams have confirmed they are playing in the league
4 teams have shown interest in play but are running into problems.

The problem that I am hearing is, somebody will ask their school about the Jr. High Softball League and the school admin will say “we don’t have a Jr. High softball team and don’t know anything about any league.

I sent all the high school administrations in Scioto, Lawrence, and Jackson Counties, the same information that was in the paper last week, and asked them to pass this on to the appropriate people. I know most of the teams I have heard from, got the info from the paper.

Notre Dame 6th & 7th Grade Confirmed
Notre Dame 8th Grade Confirmed
East 8th Grade Confirmed
Ironton Confirmed
Clay 8th Grade Confirmed
South Webster 7th Grade Confirmed

Burg (possible)
Coal Grove ? Still hearing there is a team
Northwest (possible) They need a coach
Valley (possible)

Next meeting will be held at Notre Dame High School in the Cafeteria on Sunday February 24th, 2008 at 1:00pm.

Return to “Softball”