2009 WEST SOFTBALL

SOFTBALL123
Waterboy

Re: 2009 WEST SOFTBALL

Post by SOFTBALL123 »

West won 9 or 10 to 2 over OAK HILL. wp- Jordan Jenkins w/10 strike outs and 2 walks. The walks came in the 1st inning with the rain. She looked to have very good control with her pitches the rest of the game!!!! Looks like West Lady Senators have alot of depth in the circle!!! GREAT JOB to Jordan Jenkins and the West Lady Senators. Also, JJ Looked to have a number of different pitches. Such as a rise, change and a drop or curve, Along with hitting her spots and changing up her speed on her fast ball. Keep up the hard work JJ and you will go far!!! GOOD LUCK TO THE WEST LADY SENATORS the rest of the season!!! GIT 'ER DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

Several colleges teach "squish the bug" as part of fundamental training in their batting
practices. Kayla Evans uses that technique, and with 7 home runs, and batting close
to 400 in college toward the end of the season probably worth sticking with it. A couple
of the girls have bad habits, either from previous coach, or parent, but Bart is trying
to get them squared away. Good luck ladies.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

there is still "squish the bug " being taught and it can work decently but there is a better way . Hitting has evolved . The Crystal Bustos --Howard Carrier approach of a SLIGHT uppercut with a high finish above the shoulder , allows the bat to stay in the hitting zone much longer than swinging level . (Yep thats right --don't swing level) Don Slaugh , former MLB player and hitting coach with the tigers the year they won the WS , is another big supporter of Right View Pro . Using video and science to prove what they are teaching. And Slaught teaches the stuff Carrier and Bustos does. Albert Pujols is a prime example of this type swing.

I don't wish to hi-jack the thread any more than that. google it --there is enough info available it would take weeks to read.

FWIW the SSU web site as of 4-27-09 list Kayla Evans with a 306 BA and 3 homers in 49 at bats . And the team has hit 5 homers in 23 games -- maybe the web site needs updating? not looking to argue but squish the bug is not the best way to teach talented kids how to drive a ball. have an open mind and search for the info. Carrier and Bustos are doing clinics around ohio.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

I know I was told that so just to make sure I called kayla's mom, Bev. She told me 7 homers and
ended up with a ba of 336 for the year after rolling a ankle and not playing the last 6 games. So,
yep your right, site needs updated.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

The stats listed above are correct , the season ended on the 27th. 306 avg, 3 homers, 8rbi. Sometimes parents aren't the best source of information.
West Side Pride wrote:I know I was told that so just to make sure I called kayla's mom, Bev. She told me 7 homers and
ended up with a ba of 336 for the year after rolling a ankle and not playing the last 6 games. So,

SOFTBALL123
Waterboy

Post by SOFTBALL123 »

ManitouDan wrote:there is still "squish the bug " being taught and it can work decently but there is a better way . Hitting has evolved . The Crystal Bustos --Howard Carrier approach of a SLIGHT uppercut with a high finish above the shoulder , allows the bat to stay in the hitting zone much longer than swinging level . (Yep thats right --don't swing level) Don Slaugh , former MLB player and hitting coach with the tigers the year they won the WS , is another big supporter of Right View Pro . Using video and science to prove what they are teaching. And Slaught teaches the stuff Carrier and Bustos does. Albert Pujols is a prime example of this type swing.

I don't wish to hi-jack the thread any more than that. google it --there is enough info available it would take weeks to read.

FWIW the SSU web site as of 4-27-09 list Kayla Evans with a 306 BA and 3 homers in 49 at bats . And the team has hit 5 homers in 23 games -- maybe the web site needs updating? not looking to argue but squish the bug is not the best way to teach talented kids how to drive a ball. have an open mind and search for the info. Carrier and Bustos are doing clinics around ohio.

Thanks ManitouDan, You took the words right out of my mouth!!! My thoughts exactly!! NOW,... LETS GIT 'ER DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :lol:

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

I have been told that West will make up the double header with Trimble this Saturday. If so, we will see if the Broker and the Ranger are as good as advertised wont we. :mrgreen:

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

again --I'm not trying to anger anyone --there are quite a few ways to teach kids to stroke a ball. Carrier's combination of common sense , science , and technology have produced solid huge improvements in those teams who have used them .

Mike Larabee at Wright St brought in Carrier's technique's 2 years ago after realizing that their own approach would only take them so far , They lost to Michigan in the super regionals. He said his batters were just not up to the speed , movement of the nations best arms, and he wants to be up there.

Thru 48 games they have out homered their opponents 35-22. They hit 313 as a team !

Carrier is Crystal Bustos's #1 hitting guru . As the American Olympic team struggled to hit , one lady continued belting doubs and homers . CB He also spent 6-8 months in Japan as they hired him to teach their Olympic team , trying to keep up with the americans. He knows his stuff. And he is willing to share it.

He has a clinic coming up on May22nd at rivershore complex in No Ky out by the airport . CB will be there as will Laura Berg. Unique Clinic , it's held before a tourney in the am, then the coaches/assit coaches sit in your dugout as you play. It's part of the Bustos Ultimates travel team fundraiser. even if you can't take a team , take your kid, or just go as a coach to learn. It will change your kids production.

needless to say I love talking hitting ,Oh if hitters would only work as hard as pitchers. We would'ne see all those zero's MD

SuperSiders
Riding the Bench

Post by SuperSiders »

Thanks for the info Dan. We can not be satisfied with just teaching "squish the bug". West has always had solid pitching, but struggles at producing hits and runs. There is no doubt in my mind that we could have been State Champs if we could've hit the ball a few years back. I think Bart is doing the best he can. I wish there were some good softball camps or clinics around here...it definately starts in the off season.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

make it a point for someone from west to attend the May 22nd clinic in Hebron (cinci) --or try to get a team in it. It makes a huge difference. The clinic is on sat am. The bats are lagging behind the great pitching , D , and baserunning at west. needs to be addressed somehow.

SuperSiders
Riding the Bench

Post by SuperSiders »

I totally agree...thanks!

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

I agree with MD on hitting instruction and not just with the West girls. I think it is something that is hurting our area girls all the way back to junior high. People are always looking for pitching coaches but it seems never for hitting coaches. That is why the girls that play travel ball seem to hit the ball better than those that don't. Look at some of the girls from Burg, Valley and Clay. The ones that play travel are the ones hitting it out of the park and are getting the RBIs.

MD, I think you need to start a new thread on this and see what everyone has to say.

1fan
Freshman Team

Post by 1fan »

fbnut wrote:The stats listed above are correct , the season ended on the 27th. 306 avg, 3 homers, 8rbi. Sometimes parents aren't the best source of information.
West Side Pride wrote:I know I was told that so just to make sure I called kayla's mom, Bev. She told me 7 homers and

fbnut you are wrong. Stats are not correct. Talked to coach and she had 7 homers for the yr. sorry
And I can guarantee her parents wouldn't make that stuff up, Bev and Bart are not like that

SOFTBALL123
Waterboy

Post by SOFTBALL123 »

Listen!!! This thread IS NOT about Kayla Evans. It's about teaching the art of Hitting a BETTER WAY. Kayla Evans is a fine ball player in every way! And Bart and Bev are great people and parents! Also, Bart is a fine coach! He is just teaching what he was taught. Alot of kids have been taught to squish the bug and was decent hitters, But they can and would be alot better hitters by being taught RVP HITTING technique. At least one of the high school coaches if not all need to attend a camp where RVP is being taught. Also, the younger youth coaches need to attend as well!! This technique needs to be taught at all levels in my opinion!!! That way everybody is on the same sheet of music. GIT 'ER DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOTE: By the way, Great post ManitouDan!!!

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

123---I don't need my ego stroked - I just want to see good swings by good players.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

you can check box scores for all their games on their website, I still only count 3.
1fan wrote:
fbnut wrote:The stats listed above are correct , the season ended on the 27th. 306 avg, 3 homers, 8rbi. Sometimes parents aren't the best source of information.

fbnut you are wrong. Stats are not correct. Talked to coach and she had 7 homers for the yr. sorry
And I can guarantee her parents wouldn't make that stuff up, Bev and Bart are not like that

SOFTBALL123
Waterboy

Post by SOFTBALL123 »

ManitouDan.....NO EGO STROKE INTENDED... SORRY, it won't happen again. GIT 'ER DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

no apology nessasary, everyone appreciates a kind word. But this isn't about me or any specific player. Just wanting to let people know their are new ideas about hitting , and they are very different from traditional thinking. I supplied some info . People can discount it , or give it a shot. hopefully they "GIT ER DONE " ;-) MD

Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

Post by Trimble Juvenile »

West must not be too good this year cuz you cancelled on trimble again. and dont even say the field wasnt ready cuz we have a tarp on our field. plus the baseball team played and they dont even have a tarp so what is the real reason you wouldnt play us? are you that scared of the broker, the ranger and the old man?

Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

Post by Trimble Juvenile »

i just hope you make it through the first two rounds of the tourny so we can spank your patooties. :lol:

Return to “Softball”