Middle School Softball

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Middle School Softball

Post by buckeye221 »

I know this probably belongs in the junior high forum...but all you softball fans, have you heard if any local teams are having middle school softball teams this year?

I heard that Coal Grove is getting one this year. Are any other OVC schools having a middle school team this year? Or even what about schools outside of the OVC but still local?

SBlover
Freshman Team

Post by SBlover »

The East Tartans Jr High Girls will be having a softball team.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Notre Dame is looking at fielding both a 7th and 8th grade team. Will have 1 for sure at a minimum. MD

Liberal:(n) A person so open minded their brains fell out .
abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

CG? They've had trouble even fielding a High school team the past couple of years. Sometimes only having 10 girls at a game. I hope this is true, because CG has some potential. Plus it will light a fire under the rest of the OVC.

buckeyesoftball
Waterboy

Post by buckeyesoftball »

I know this is a sad comment but until the jr. high's have baseball then probably forget it for the girls. Also, I know how hard it is for the high school teams to get umpires that are qualified then it would be real difficult for the jr. high teams. Could they better exist in the fall than competing in the spring with the high school girls?

Also, I heard a discussion on this topic the other night at a high school basketball game with a parent and the AD of the jr. high. Of course you heard the same old reasons why not to, no money, too many headaches, no umpires, etc., etc., etc.

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

well if its true...then props to Coal Grove for getting it started. u think that would motivate some of the other OVC schools?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

maybe if the teams with Jr High programs start winning all the conference titles at the HS level that may change the minds of the "higher ups" . Other than ASA there is no other other place for 7-8th graders to play. And travel isn't for everyone. Hopefully this will catch on . MD

sball32
Riding the Bench

Post by sball32 »

ManitouDan wrote:maybe if the teams with Jr High programs start winning all the conference titles at the HS level that may change the minds of the "higher ups" . Other than ASA there is no other other place for 7-8th graders to play. And travel isn't for everyone. Hopefully this will catch on . MD

I'm going to have to stop you right there. Jr High (middle school) can play legally at the high school level. BUT, say they play both their 7th and 8th grade years, that leaves them with 2 years of High School Eligibility left. You only get four years of high school eligibility. So, it really wouldn't be logical to do that, ya think? Trimble, Federal Hocking, maybe Nelsonville and maybe a few others have a small league where they play around 10 games(middle school girls)

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

Yeah you're right...about the 4 years.

In Kentucky they have 6 years...some people want Ohio to do the same thing and some think it will never happen though. I don't know...never say never!

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

ManitouDan wrote:maybe if the teams with Jr High programs start winning all the conference titles at the HS level that may change the minds of the "higher ups" . Other than ASA there is no other other place for 7-8th graders to play. And travel isn't for everyone. Hopefully this will catch on . MD

There is also little league to play in the summer if a school does not have middle school and does not want to travel.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

2 clarifications ---I meant when the Jr high kids get up to the HS level, not playing up as high schoolers in the 7-8 th grade .

And as far as jr high girls playing LL , by the time they are 7-8th graders , they are > than age 12 . there isn't any leagues I know of for 13-15 yr old girls is there ? MD

SBlover
Freshman Team

Post by SBlover »

Yes, in LL. There is Junior league which is for 13-14year olds. Senior league 15-16. And Big league 17-18..

fpcoach
Freshman Team

Post by fpcoach »

This will be Notre Dame's 4th year fielding a Jr. high team. We have played in the SVC the last 3 years.

This year we have put the information out to the schools that we are starting a Jr. High league of our own.

Here is the information:

Southern Ohio Club Jr. High Softball League. Scioto and Lawance Counties
7th grade 7th graders and below
8th grade 8th graders and below
High Schools umpires at all games and a county and League tournaments at the end.

Season runs along with the High School Season

For More information call Darrell Keller (740) 285-7566

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

What areas are doing JR and Sr league for girls ? I have not heard of it around Scioto co Thanks MD

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

JR LEAGUE AN SR LEAGUE has been around since Ive been involved with LL an thats been for about 10yrs. Alot of the local leagues dont have enough girls to field a team by them selfs so for example Minford borders Valley, South Webster an Newville so they can draw from them to field a team an so forth. Its a little more complicated than that, but that the simple way to explain it.

These are the yrs that u find out WHO really wants to Play. I coach a team in the jr league team, an everyone of those girls that played are playing for there HIGH SCHOOL team still. :)

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

SP , Fairland and CHes. that i know of have had the jr. and senior league teams. SP won the Sr. League state chap. about three years ago.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Alot of the time leagues plan to have jr. and sr. league teams but have to wait til sign-ups and for sr. league have to wait until the high school players are done to even practice and see who wants to play.

SBlover
Freshman Team

Post by SBlover »

Last year in Jr league we had a few girls teams in regular season. But when it came to all-stars we only had 3 teams in the tournament Burg, West, South Point. West took it last year. Their was only 2 senior girls teams in the all star tournament.

Yes, Jr and senior league teams have been around a long while now in our area..5-6 years ago Burg Jr league girls went to the world series 2 years in a row..

fpcoach
Freshman Team

Post by fpcoach »

I have been talking about JR. High School (7th & 8th grade) softball, not Jr. & Sr. League.

I misunderstood, sorry

SBlover
Freshman Team

Post by SBlover »

Not a prob. I do alot of that myself...lol

Return to “Softball”