Who is the BEST Scioto County ASA team ?

Fastpitch Coach
Waterboy

Who is the BEST Scioto County ASA team ?

Post by Fastpitch Coach »

I am not familiar with all of the local ASA teams, and was just wondering who will be the team to beat. In LL, I know that Valley 11-12 Girls went to State, and the 9-10 Wheelersburg Girls went to State.

Jif
Riding the Bench

Re: Who is the BEST Scioto County ASA team ?

Post by Jif »

I can only speak to the 2007 12u teams. The Wild Thangs were without adoubt the best ASA 12u team in Scioto County. Our organiztion played against them many times we had ane game that went 11 innings, we lost 3-2. We were able to beat them 11-1 in the championship game in one of the Portsmouth Tournaments. However they beat us many more times than we beat them throughout the season.[color=#BF00BF]. Our organization won over 75% of our games and won 4 tourneys and finished runner-up 3 times. We also beat a 14u team from Scioto County last year. I read on one thread that MOV Flamin Fury (Parkersbrug) went 58-1. If that is true the Wild Thangs handed them there only loss. It was in the simi-finals of the Portsmouth Tourney (Rumble on the River) and went to extra innings I think. We met them next in the game I described above.

My point is the Wild Thangs were without a doubt the top 12u team in Scioto last year.

More importantly, with all the dynamics in keeping an ASA team together, they are a good group of people. In ASA ball the families involved are just as important as the players. The Wild Thangs are great on and of the field and demonstrated a lot of class. Anyone should be proud to be apart of their organiztion.[/color]

DiamondWatcher
Waterboy

Post by DiamondWatcher »

I was just reading on another (unnamed) forum that Scioto County Wild Thangs are predicted to be in the top ten in 2008. That's impressive. People up north know who they are now and that says alot for Scioto County's talent.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

I'd be much happier concentrating on beating up on the rest of the state and supporting our neighbors than worrying who is best in the county ! Heck there is only 3 teams I believe at 12u anyway. Crowing about being best in a 3 team race would'nt amount to much . Lets all strive to get better together ! MD

COACH1
Riding the Bench

Post by COACH1 »

MD,
I'am with you on backing all the teams in Scioto County it don't matter what age they are if they go out of town and play in a tournament I wish the best for all of them. It just makes are area look better if they win. But I will say it again I don't think the teams up North or WV. are any better then we are down here in little Scioto County.

littleone
Waterboy

Post by littleone »

MY, Hats off to ya coach1 little scioto county is capable of being the best out of the north and WV .

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Guys I hope you are right ---we will find out more with the schedule the Wild Thangs are playing this year . Having said that the very best teams from the upper wings of the state don't even travel to columbus to play . So it's really hard to judge just how good you are, unless you go there. The teams that are getting the most publicity early in the year for 08' will never play south of columbus. (not counting cincy or dayton, since they are still 2 hours away) . I'm telling you truthfully for as successful as the WT"s were last year there were several teams statewide whose league we are just not in . Yes we can handle the best of WV but Ohio is way ahead of WV in terms of overall quality of teams.

Just FYI , teams getting mentioned as top caliber are Valley Extreme white, Stingrays,Lasers Silver, Top Guns , Doom95, Buckeye Heat, Ohio Ice, Emeralds Black. this is at 12u.

COACH1
Riding the Bench

Post by COACH1 »

If you are talking about the Cinn. Doom team the Baseburners 14& under beat them in Cinn. last year at Expressway Ballpark, they also beat a team called Ohio Valley Extreme Red, I don't know if that is the same teams that you are talking about but if so then the Baseburners should be pretty hard to handle this year they are returning 6 starters and picked up 5 girls that look really good. MD good luck to the Wildthangs make little Scioto County '' Proud'' I know the Baseburners will.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

I was talking 12u --I have no idea the talent level/reputation of the 14u teams you mentioned. There is no doubt to the talent level of the 14u Baseburners , they can play with pretty much anyone . Should be a special year.

The teams getting some pub at 14u this year for 08 are
Ohio Ice -Richards
Ohio Slammers (5th in the nation out in Cali last year at ASA natl's)
Miami Valley Express
Lasers Red
Buckeye Heat -Clark
Valley Ext Red ( last year PONY Natl champ , top 5 eastern NSA finish)
NWO Lady irish
H.O.O. Force

At this point it's pretty much speculation from indoor leagues , and how they did last year. Any idea if the baseburners will get a chance to battle these teams ? If so , give a them a kick in the behind and show what (little) Scioto co has got. MD

Jif
Riding the Bench

Post by Jif »

ManitouDan is correct the teams up north dominate southern ohio whether it be high school football, volleyball or any other sport.

But the question was asked who is the best team in Scioto County. In 2007 12u Wild Thangs were the best. My point is they were the best from Pakersbrug to Charleston to Chillicothe to just east of Cincy and could probably throw Easter Ky. in the mix. It was mentioned that the 14u Baseburners won a tourney at cincy. Our 12u team beat the 14u Baseburners 2-0 last year. In their defense they threw their 2nd pitcher against us but we also threw our 2nd. In the area I mentioned, I do not know of a better team.

I know that if all of us go up north we may get it handed to us but I do think the upper eshelon teams from this area would at least compete.

softballer24
Freshman Team

Post by softballer24 »

rainman
I am not sure about who is the best Scioto County Team. How many Parkersburg teams did the Wild Thangs play aganist? Do know they went 1-1 aganist one Parkersburg team.
So I have to disagree with you about the Wild Thangs being the best from the area covering the Parkersburg region. But I agree by playing tougher teams you make your own team better.

livetoplay
Waterboy

Post by livetoplay »

I agree Wild Thangs 12U was the best around last year, it had a super group of girls. They were a true team not a single player type of group.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Who were the parkersburg teams the Wild Thangs played ?? All we know when we play WV teams is just that , it's a WV team. Best of my recollection we played Mountain Thunder 4 times , Firestix twice, MOV Flamin Fury twice, TNT Explosion twice (??) and the team from Huntington that wore light blue twice (Coach was Scott Colburn) I'm probably forgetting some , but thats 10 games against WV competetion. All were good ballclubs , we lost at least once to every team mentioned. MD PS --glad to see some WV folks joining in the forum.

fastpitchfanatic
Waterboy

Post by fastpitchfanatic »

MD I believe the teal/orange/white team was WV Explosion. TNT Explosion(red/black/white) is an excellent organization as well. Well coached and a remarkable group of young ladies. 10U,12U,14U. Didn't the 10U win the Eastern Region NSA?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

The TNT explosion was very good at 12u . I did'nt see their 10u's play but yes I heard they won the 10u eastern regional. During the regular season they lost to WT's 10's 2-3 times. We did'nt play the WV explosion I don't think at 12u. MD

fastpitchfanatic
Waterboy

Post by fastpitchfanatic »

MD must have been Total Chaos. Too bad WT 10U did not go to NSA regional. Without a doubt they were one of top teams anywhere close to here, north, south east, west. FF

COACH1
Riding the Bench

Post by COACH1 »

The 14u Baseburners threw thier 3rd pitcher in the game against the Mountain Thunder 12u in the tournament that you are talking about they also had kids playing in positions that they never played before. We are not making excuses because they did beat us they are a very well coached team and have a great bunch of kids. All I was trying to say was that I was sick of hearing about how Scioto County teams can't win in the big city. like I said we will back all teams from scioto when they play out of state and hope they win it just makes us look better. Correct me if I 'am wrong in the last 10 years in a row Scioto County has sent a team to the High school final 4 in softball and in LL we have sent a team to the LL state championship tournament. So I think we are doing pretty good in Scioto County playing with the big dogs. It is the same kids wether it be asa or LL or highschool they meet somewhere along the line and we seem to do pretty good.

Jif
Riding the Bench

Post by Jif »

Yes I knew the Baseburners did not start their first pitcher, that is why I made the statement that I think they pitched their second pitcher. I also know that if we played the Baseburners 20 more times they would probably beat us 20 times. You should know we left that game and immediately went to play the So. Ohio Flames, they beat us 8 to 1. On the way over we talked about getting a big win and trying not to have a let down in our next game we did and got beat. We know the Baseburners started out taking it easy on us (because the Baseburners are a class organization and were trying not to beat up on a 12u team) then as the game went on they thought oh crap we are in a game here and by that time it was too late to do anything about it because our pitching was pretty good.

trust me I know you would have beaten Mountain Thunder pretty soundly had we played again just to send a message, had we played again.

I only brought up that game because it was mentioned that the Baseburners 14u won a tourney in Cincy. I wanted to illustrate that Mountain Thunder was a pretty good team. In the area I mentioned in an earlier post I think Mountain Thunder is one of the top 5 teams. The Scioto County Wild Thangs owned us. To illistrate my point at the end of May 2007 Mountain Thunder was 8 wins and 10 losses. Our June through August record was 37 wins 7 losses and 2 ties (time limits). Our record against some of the best teams in the area I mentioned was this.

Firestix 2 wins 3 losses 1 tie
TnT Explosion 3 wins 4 losses
MOV Flamin Fury 0 wins 1 loss 3-5 (1st Touurney of the year)
Total Chaos 1 win 0 losses 4-0
Wild Thangs 1 win 4 losses (I think)

Obviously some these losses occurred prior to the end of May.

Others

Scioto County Storm 0 wins 1 loss, 2-4 (I think)
KC Diamond 0 wins 1 loss, 3-4

Both before the end of May.

When you look at the teams we had a losing record against, if you factor out May we had a winning record against all of them except for the 1 loss teams, (we did not meet them again). Except for the Wild Thangs. That is why I think Wild Thangs were at minnimum top 1 or two in the region.

Based on this that is why I think the Wild Thangs were the one of the best in the region. I also know Flamin Fury was right there real close. Those two teams were probably interchangeable as the top team in the region. Behind them (just slightly would be TNT and Mountain Thunder).

Bottom line is this, the Wild Thangs and the Baseburners are two great teams and great organizations. We at Mountain Thunder enjoy playing them and we know when we meet Scioto County teams we are going to be in for the fight of our lives.

Here is to a great year of softball in 2008, and Baseburners please take it easy on the Mountain Thunder 14u when you meet us, we will be young.

Now with all of that said, I really enjoy softball and I also enjoy drinking a little beer on occasion. Tonight is one of those nights when I drank a lot, I hope there is not too many typos in this post.

And please Baseburners take it easy on us in 2008.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

You type better than me even after the suds :lol: MD Funny you mentioned let downs after big wins, we had just beaten MOV Flamin Fury in the semi's before you beat us in the finals . We warned the girls about a letdown but it did'nt seem to stick ---they were high on life after knocking off the Fury. MD PS Thanks very much for the kind words about the Wild Thangs and Scioto Co fastpitch in general --We knew we were in for a fight every time we were up against you also.

COACH1
Riding the Bench

Post by COACH1 »

rainman,
Like I said before Mountain Thunder is a classy program right along with T&T Explosion we know that when we play either team it will be a good game and a lot of class and sportsmanship will be displayed. Have a great 2008 season. Maybe when you play the Baseburners after the game we can get together and talk softball over some suds.

Return to “Softball”