Upcoming players (Part 2)

Gomer
Waterboy

Upcoming players (Part 2)

Post by Gomer »

I posted this question on the Jr. High side, but for those of you who do not check that one out......

What young players (grades 4, 5 & 6) should everyone be on the lookout for? Now with the jr. high programs in full swing everyone can see who is out there at that age level. But what about the young ones?

Any standout pitchers/hitters?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Re: Upcoming players (Part 2)

Post by ManitouDan »

Not seeing any 4-5 th graders who are playing Jr high that I'm aware of. Valley has a couple 6th graders playing , I have 4 on my ND 7th grade team. Kayla Koch , 6th grader at valley is sure worthy of mention. Pitches great and hits it a ton. Kaylin Corns is a solid catcher. 5th grader , 11 yrl old Taryn Alvelo throws above 50.

There are some 4-5th graders at w-burg that are superb. Taylor Demsey,Laiken Salyers, Michael Cunnigham, Abby Sparks and couple more off the 10u LL state champ team from last year. All of those girls are already way ahead of most girls their age.

Mckinsey Whitaker from west is a 10u that is very good. ND has a very atheletic class in the 5th grade also. I know there are others but at least this starts the talk.

MD

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

As I said on the Jr. High forum, really too early to predict how good a 4th or 5th grader will be and also even though you somewhat have an idea of how good a 6th grader will be is a little early, players will develope at different times and ages. AmyJo right now in 5th grade might look like the next best thing might turn out as average and by the time it is all said and done AnnieMay who looked average in 5th grade might come along and be the next best thing.

Reds_Fan
Waterboy

Post by Reds_Fan »

As was stated earlier......there are some fine players from The Burg. Michal Cunningham is a 4th grader who is playing for the Lasers in travel ball. Laiken Salyers is a 10 year old, also a 4th grader, who is playing on the Wild Thang 12u team.

bootleg
Waterboy

Post by bootleg »

It always amazes me to hear these pitching speeds. I'm not sure everyone knows how to properly use a radar gun. Or own an accurate radar gun, not a cheap one that costs a couple hundred. I will say it is also refreshing to see a really good pitcher with speed and then to hear someone say they throw 50-55. That earns my respect! Hats off to the humble people who don't have to add speed to prove they are good!!

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

We play a scrimmage this weekend at SSU's field ---you bring your radar gun this weekend and report what you see . You know who are we are , you know what I stated ---please come with your several hundred dollar radar gun and report what you see . crow will be served. Unless OSU's radar gun has'nt worked for a year. :roll: :roll: MD Hats off to people with thousand dollar radar guns . Cop ?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

as far as the adding speed to prove you are good ---The girl I mentioned went 42-6 in the circle last year, playing against competetion from Ky Ind, WV , and Ohio. Pitched her team to a 3rd place in the state in the NSA state tourney. Not that I really need to prove anything to you, but should I list the actual games ? Would you like her K's per 6 innings ? You seem to have trouble believing what I report is the truth . MD

COACH1
Riding the Bench

Post by COACH1 »

I will have to agree with bootleg , If she is 11 years old throwing 50 to 55 then she is better then most of the High School pitchers in S.O.C 1,2, Burgs number 1 picther throws about 55 to 60, West pitcher throws about the same, ND pitcher throws about 52 to 55 , Clays pitcher is 55-60 , Green is about 52-55. If she is throwing 50 to 55 then she has a great future ahead of her, in the college World Series they was throwing 65 to 68 some 70 most of your division 1 colleges throw 55-60 , heck Shawnee States pitcher only throws 55-58. I have seen her pitch if she is throwing 50 to 55 she has picked up alot of speed from last year. If she has you better start calling OSU so they can pick her up. She is a great pitcher But I can't see her throwing 50 to 55 right now maybe in a couple years if she keeps working hard and I know her she will work hard to get even better.

bootleg
Waterboy

Post by bootleg »

MD - Let's see - You say she's been clocked with OSU's radar gun for a year, so she was clocked "above 50" last year? Oh yeah, you forgot to mention in your stats that she was playing 10U last year. Don't they throw from 35 ft?
Last edited by bootleg on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

Post by The_Sports_Junky »

bootleg wrote:MD - Let's see - You say she's been clocked with OSU's radar gun for a year, so she was clocked "over 50" last year? Oh yeah, you forgot to mention in your stats that she was playing 10U last year.
Was it a strike? :lol: When we was at OSU camp my daughter threw hard for the gun but not a strike. In fact we was laughing at how many times the ball was wild when the gun was pointed at a girl. :lol:

bootleg
Waterboy

Post by bootleg »

SJ- That's a very good point! Also, if a player wants to be able to claim a fast speed, she should be able to throw it consistently and not just for the radar.

Underdog2006
Freshman Team

Post by Underdog2006 »

Just my opinion, Give me the girl that can change speeds and keep the opposition on their heels. Radar means squat to me, and also the other eight players are makes the pitchers record what it is. Intelligent pitching, great defense, and timely hitting, thats softball. Radar? Throw it the garbage.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

No where ---meaning zero --did I say she threw 55 ---I stated she threw above 50 -----OK ? 51 is above 50 isn't it ? Geez , never seen so much nitpicking . Sorry I gave a kid a mention , especially when it was ask for ---remember the orginal question ---Who should we look out for at 4th,5th or 6th grade - But how many times have I heard " IT"S ALL ABOUT THE KIDS " I mention one who works her tail off, the family dedicates their time and cash for lessions from a OSU pitcher and the all the internet guros want to go to war over it. I'm sorry I mentioned her. Lots more I'd like to add , better cool off ;-) MD

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

Underdog2006 wrote:Just my opinion, Give me the girl that can change speeds and keep the opposition on their heels. Radar means squat to me, and also the other eight players are makes the pitchers record what it is. Intelligent pitching, great defense, and timely hitting, thats softball. Radar? Throw it the garbage.
I agree.

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

ManitouDan wrote:No where ---meaning zero --did I say she threw 55 ---I stated she threw above 50 -----OK ? 51 is above 50 isn't it ? Geez , never seen so much nitpicking . Sorry I gave a kid a mention , especially when it was ask for ---remember the orginal question ---Who should we look out for at 4th,5th or 6th grade - But how many times have I heard " IT"S ALL ABOUT THE KIDS " I mention one who works her tail off, the family dedicates their time and cash for lessions from a OSU pitcher and the all the internet guros want to go to war over it. I'm sorry I mentioned her. Lots more I'd like to add , better cool off ;-) MD

:lol: DUDE :lol:

bootleg
Waterboy

Post by bootleg »

Oh come on now, we all know this forum wouldn't be half as fun without you MD!

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

It's obvious that reading comprehension is not a requirement for SEOP membership. Not even the 1st of the month either.

Just for fun here is some more pitching lies , 1/2 truths , and exaggerations.

Last year the top 12u pitcher in Ohio threw a riseball. In the mid -high 50's.
Last year the pitcher for the 10u lasers stayed above 50 the entire game.
This winter at the OSU pitching camp the #1 pitcher for the 12u indy diamond chix ( a team so good no one from round' here would dream of playing) hit 57 twice on 3 attempts at max speed.
Last year a 10u from the Ind Thunder threw 50-52 the entire game.

I'll stop there , my nose is touching the computer screen. MD

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

ManitouDan wrote:It's obvious that reading comprehension is not a requirement for SEOP membership. Not even the 1st of the month either.

Gomer wrote:
but to sit there and personally attack is totally unacceptable.

Fortunately, I do not have a daughter playing for this coach. IMO he should not be in any position to teach and mentor the youth if he is going to throw temper tantrums when he does not get his way.

:aaaaa24 See ND's coach get up set also. :aaaaa24

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Yes when someone infers you are either a liar or stupid it does tend to upset one's apple cart ----point taken 8) MD

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Saw some nice upcoming players working out sunday afternoon for the 10u Buckeye diva's. They look like they are on the right bath to win a bunch of games this year. MD

Return to “Softball”