Riding the Bench

Re: SHL 09-10 Thoughts and Predictions

Post by ucdave »

Eastern will be very tough to beat.

fhs_shl11
Freshman Team

Post by fhs_shl11 »

Fairfield should be tough to beat. Larrick is a very good pitcher for only being a sophomore, and alot of hitters. Should be fun to watch.

FastpitchDad
Waterboy

Post by FastpitchDad »

Not necessarily in this order but the 3 Top Schools may be:
Eastern- has a strong Freshman Pitcher entering the 2010 Team
Fayetteville
Fairfield
Next but not necessarily in this order:
Peebles- has a strong Freshman Pitcher entering the 2010 Team
West Union- has a strong Freshman Pitcher entering the 2010 Team
Whiteoak
Last but not necessarily in this order:
Lynchburg
Manchester- has lost all their 2009 Pitcher's
North Adams has a strong Catcher entering the 2010 Team
Ripley- struggled all last year should have a decent Freshman Pitcher entering the 2010 team

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The freshman for Eastern sure is a good one!

FastpitchDad
Waterboy

Post by FastpitchDad »

Ironman92 wrote:The freshman for Eastern sure is a good one!

I've had the opportunity to watch both of the incoming Freshman pitchers for Eastern and West Union go head to head in Travel Ball, and both are formidable opponents. If they have any backing around them these two Pitchers could be some serious threat to the rest in SHL.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Do they both travel with the same summer team?

FastpitchDad
Waterboy

Post by FastpitchDad »

No! They play on different Travel Teams.

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

FastpitchDad wrote:

I've had the opportunity to watch both of the incoming Freshman pitchers for Eastern and West Union go head to head in Travel Ball, and both are formidable opponents. If they have any backing around them these two Pitchers could be some serious threat to the rest in SHL.

That gives West Union a pair of good pitchers as the Bowles girl has been tough in the last couple of seasons.

FastpitchDad
Waterboy

Post by FastpitchDad »

boomer633 wrote:
FastpitchDad wrote:

That gives West Union a pair of good pitchers as the Bowles girl has been tough in the last couple of seasons.

It couldn't hurt! But it still takes a Team to pull together and support one another, And that's an element that has been lacking in the West Union Teams for sometime. The pitchers alone cannot win the games on their own regardless of how good they are. Guess we'll have to wait and see what transpires this years out of West Union.

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

I agree but it sure helps to have a pitcher that can throw the ball by hitters. That is the missing piece for North Adams.

FastpitchDad
Waterboy

Post by FastpitchDad »

boomer633 wrote:I agree but it sure helps to have a pitcher that can throw the ball by hitters. That is the missing piece for North Adams.

Yeah I agree with you there! Stout she is a Great kid but struggles when it comes to pitching, can't blame the player when the coaches have no idea as to what they are doing. It may be a case of one to many Young's LOL :roll:

But it could be worse, take Manchester for instances they lost all their pitcher's do to Graduation along with losing the Head Coach Dan Bennett and Assistant Coach Gary Gray. They are at below ground zero this year.

Sad part is, Is that any of those girls with pitching potential were never allow to pitch in any games last year to better prepare them for this year.

Fayetteville is struggling already this year, they were looking for an Assistant Coach for their Softball Team. And from what I understand are stuggling in other areas also.

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

I don't think Stout struggles. She is accurate but she is not overpowering like some are in the league. I'm also not going blame the coaches because in my opinion the mechanics for pitching need to be instilled long before a player reaches high school.

FastpitchDad
Waterboy

Post by FastpitchDad »

boomer633 wrote:I don't think Stout struggles. She is accurate but she is not overpowering like some are in the league. I'm also not going blame the coaches because in my opinion the mechanics for pitching need to be instilled long before a player reaches high school.

While I'll agree that a player should at least have some basic knowledge of the pitching mechanics before reaching high school, even with that said the Reds "New" pitcher Aroldis Chapman who has had his style of pitching mechanics long before signing with the Reds, will go through a training regiment with a pitching coach that will further advance his pitching mechanics, who does she have to rely on to correct her mechanics?

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

I don't think North Adams hardly has the resources that the Reds do and Chapman did arrive throwing in the upper 90's. While I agree that the pitching coaches will work to refine his technique to maximize Chapman's ability not to mention the multi million dollar investment those same coaches are not going to be able to coach Aaron Harangue nor Bronson Arroyo to throw 98 mph fastballs. What Chapman possesses is god given and only a few are blessed with it. That was my point about an overpowering pitcher. It was not intended as a knock against any coach and certainly not against any player especially one who in my opinion has gotten better each year and does everything she can to put her team into a position to win. Comparing what the Reds do to what a high school can do is apples and oranges in my opinion. North Adams has 2 coaches to coach all phases of the game and they do a good job as the team has gotten better each of the last couple years.

FastpitchDad
Waterboy

Post by FastpitchDad »

Agreed! But why is it then that 12U Travel Teams pitchers can pitch and their Teams could whip up on the Adams County H.S. Teams. Mine they are 12 years old and not the MLB.

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

High School teams can't recruit players to make up an all star type team like the travel teams do. Travel teams don't have regular season that starts at the end of February and lasts until the beginning of May. Travel teams usually start the season with their full roster unlike most high school teams who don't get their full roster until basketball season is over.
Even at that I wouldn't bet much on 12 year olds taking on 14-18 year olds. The physical differences alone provide a great advantage to the older kids.

gerrsh
Waterboy

Post by gerrsh »

White Oak 28 Fayetteville 3

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

geesh...congrats ladies!

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

Fairfield beat North Adams 12-0. Fairfield looks like a very strong team.

Return to “Softball”