Top 10 players in SE Ohio...

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Top 10 players in SE Ohio...

Post by captainmorgan_ »

Saw this on the boys forum so why not do the top 10 girls.. Go...

ManitouDan2
SE

Re: Top 10 players in SE Ohio...

Post by ManitouDan2 »

That would be tough . will be a good message board read though. I would think you would you have to include the best player or 2 off the best teams . So Boo Sturgill would be included , R Hughes from Oak Hill . Wolfenbarker from Minford . Schaefer from ND , Brisker from Oak Hill . Either of Burgs two P's .. Newman from NW . All fine players . I dont know Waverly's players or follow other leagues other than SOC 1 and 2 .

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Guess we should add Laiken Rice from NW .. she signed d1 at Kent St today .. I've heard she was a good player , last time I saw her play was 14u .

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Thought we would be on page three by now

Coach Kennedy
Riding the Bench

Post by Coach Kennedy »

I coach in the SHAC so I'll speak on their behalf first, for they are often times left off of this message board.

Kaiti White - Fairfield SR, P (SHAC POY, committed to Cumberlands, dominate pitcher and excellent hitter)
Madison Pierce - Peebles SR, P (outstanding player & pitcher, deserves much more recognition)

Those two deserve to be mentioned when discussing "top ten" players in our area. There are several other very good players in the SHAC, but those two stand out above the rest.

As for others that I've SEEN or COACHED (I won't comment on those that I haven't seen):

Rylie Hughes - Oak HIll SO
Boo Sturgill - Burg SO
Cassie Schaeffer - ND JR
Addie Newman - Northwest JR

Others that have gone under the radar and shouldn't:

Laney Eller - Burg SOPH
Claire Dettwiller - ND SOPH
Christian Reed - Peebles JR

Hard to name a definitive top 10 when not all players can be seen. Plus, some positions are of more value than others, depending on your own opinion. But I feel those first 6 I mentioned are definitely among the top ten. If the other three aren't then they're near the top. A lot of quality players in our area.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

Sturgill, White, Hughes, Robinson, Brisker, Wolfenbarker, Schaffer, Pierce, Vassar, & Eller would all be in or right at the top 10. NW has a couple nice players as well as Ironton that could easily be on this list. I’m sure there are several others that I may not have seen or have slipped my mind. Quite a bit of talent in SE Ohio & many future college players at various levels.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Yeah Burton At Ironton is a nice player .. too many players to recall.

Areukidinme
Waterboy

Post by Areukidinme »

Will comment on only those seen, Top Three in order......Sturgill, Hughes, Brisker,White,Newman,Wolfenbarger, Eller,Spence,Schaeffer, Vasser,.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

I also cannot comment on players I have not seen but I have seen most in our area. I said before most talent around is in the Soc2. If we are talking about true top 10 in the district I would mention these 2:

-Boo Sturgill Wheelersburg
-Riley Hughes Oak Hill

enjoyed watching since they were jr high. just get out and watch them play. Sturgill district player of the year. Hughes has the nicest swing I have seen at Hs level and I think was one who was under the radar more than should have been last season. both are shut downs defensively too. the edge would go to sturgill but I believe both are District top 10. Imo, top 2.

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by SOSoftball »

Glad to see Vassar's name mentioned in the thread. She is not a power hitter like some of the girls mentioned and I think that is why she doesn't make some people's list. But offensively she hits line drives like they are going out of style and hits the ball hard. With her speed she turns singles into doubles and doubles into triples. Speed kills. I would also put her up defensively with just about anyone at third base. She crashes hard on bunts and and covers third base area great. Also has an arm for a cannon.

She finished as District POY last year in SOC 1.

Coach Kennedy
Riding the Bench

Post by Coach Kennedy »

captainmorgan_ wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:04 am I also cannot comment on players I have not seen but I have seen most in our area. I said before most talent around is in the Soc2. If we are talking about true top 10 in the district I would mention these 2:

-Riley Hughes Oak Hill

enjoyed watching since they were jr high. just get out and watch them play. Sturgill district player of the year. Hughes has the nicest swing I have seen at Hs level and I think was one who was under the radar more than should have been last season. both are shut downs defensively too. the edge would go to sturgill but I believe both are District top 10. Imo, top 2.
I agree, top two and both just sophomores.

How Rylie wasn't 1st team all district last year is beyond me! She was definitely "under the radar" of some coaches, but those that know or play them most assuredly know how good she is. It was ridiculous that she made 2nd team with the year that she had.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Voting is just crazy in the SOC 1 and D4 . Crazy . Jealousy . Good ole boys network . Vote trading . Grown men refusing to vote for young ladies because they dont like the dad or HS coach . Hate to see it happening at larger divisions and conferences .

Coach Kennedy
Riding the Bench

Post by Coach Kennedy »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:01 am Voting is just crazy in the SOC 1 and D4 . Crazy . Jealousy . Good ole boys network . Vote trading . Grown men refusing to vote for young ladies because they dont like the dad or HS coach . Hate to see it happening at larger divisions and conferences .
Agreed. A couple of years ago someone didn't vote for Mikayla Newland (Paint Valley) on the all district team, cost her all state recognition. And she was easily an all state player, if not the best player in the district.

Some coaches don't do enough home work and get info before the voting and have already predetermined who they are voting for. Some vote out of spite or along conference lines. All are wrong and only hurt the kids. Rylie should have been first team all district last year, no doubt.

Hail State
Waterboy

Post by Hail State »

Mollie Maxon at Reedsville Eastern has to be in this conversation. Also Allison Barber is one of the best outfielders in the district

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

Doesn't your coach have to advocate for you to get votes for district teams?

Hannah Robinson, P, Waverly signed with D1 Ball State.

Dadof28
Waterboy

Post by Dadof28 »

Alexander from Piketon????

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Jacqueline Bautista (sp)? a junior for Portsmouth is a very strong player. One of the stronger hitters in the area..

sportsdude
Waterboy

Post by sportsdude »

Evans pitcher from Jackson. Adkins pitcher from oak Hill.

sportsdude
Waterboy

Post by sportsdude »

Coach Kennedy wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:39 am
captainmorgan_ wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:04 am I also cannot comment on players I have not seen but I have seen most in our area. I said before most talent around is in the Soc2. If we are talking about true top 10 in the district I would mention these 2:

-Riley Hughes Oak Hill

I agree, top two and both just sophomores.

How Rylie wasn't 1st team all district last year is beyond me! She was definitely "under the radar" of some coaches, but those that know or play them most assuredly know how good she is. It was ridiculous that she made 2nd team with the year that she had.
wow

StateTheFacts
Waterboy

Post by StateTheFacts »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:01 am Voting is just crazy in the SOC 1 and D4 . Crazy . Jealousy . Good ole boys network . Vote trading . Grown men refusing to vote for young ladies because they dont like the dad or HS coach . Hate to see it happening at larger divisions and conferences .
Completely agree with your statement! The largest problem is you have coaches at the HS level who are dads with kids on the team. It should not happen at this level but definitely does in SOC1 and D4 levels. That is why more northern teams win each and every year in the tournament.

Return to “Softball”