All-Conference and All-District Teams

PirateSB
Waterboy

Re: All-Conference and All-District Teams

Post by PirateSB »

Jms wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:52 pm I guess the District All Star game was last night.
Unfortunately the ND girls were not informed therefore were not there. :(
That sucks. There seems to have been a lot of miscommunication/no communication this year.
Congrats to them on a very nice season.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Who was player of the year in the southeast district?

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

The district all star game is a like a polka dotted unicorn around here , some people claim to have seen it but its more mythical legend than reality ... I jest .. Here is the bottom line .. the other 3-4 areas of ohio promote this game , there is a tradition of playing in it and it being a fun event .. the tradition in SEO is its just not taken seriously , the management ( coaches ??) just are not that into it , the season ends and they are done . My kid played in it 1 year , went up to Cbus and got beat 15-0 a few times , games lasted forever , they batted the lineup , the South had zero pitching show up . She said " never again" . So until someone takes a interest and guides the tryout process and assures a competitive team goes up there its going to continue to be a nothing burger in these necks of the woods .
Maybe if a few of the good ole boys worked as hard as getting this going as they do collaborating for post season awards the SEO could form a good team.

BackroadHero
Waterboy

Post by BackroadHero »

You must be meaning the "Undergrad All Star" games from your description.
That tryout was Monday Night.

Before I go any further I want to say I'm not a Coach basher. I believe for the most part they get it right on awards and recognize the best or must deserving kids. We don't always know what goes on in the dugouts.

That being said, we attended this year's Undergrad tryout. We've been to a lot of travel ball tryouts with top teams (Dusters, Outlaws, Doom) over the years. We've seen great ran and honest tryouts when the coaches could really evaluate the players.
This was not one of those tryouts...

The girls warmed up warmed up and then sat for an hour until it was their turn to run out and field a ball. Every kid but maybe 3 made some type of defensive error.
Hitting wise they brought out a old pitching machine, cranked it up to 60 and gave each girl 10 balls.
The machine threw every other ball in the dirt or over the girls heads. No girl made contact with more than 4 balls.

Our daughter was lucky enough to make it. But honestly that wasn't a fair tryout. Players I've seen play and were area 1st team, all Ohio type players were turned away because they couldn't hit a garbage pitching machine.

I just think in a tryout if it's ran like that and they can't get a good evaluation of the girls they need to use a different method for picking teams.

SportsGirl83
Freshman Team

Post by SportsGirl83 »

BackroadHero wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:30 pm You must be meaning the "Undergrad All Star" games from your description.
That tryout was Monday Night.

Before I go any further I want to say I'm not a Coach basher. I believe for the most part they get it right on awards and recognize the best or must deserving kids. We don't always know what goes on in the dugouts.

That being said, we attended this year's Undergrad tryout. We've been to a lot of travel ball tryouts with top teams (Dusters, Outlaws, Doom) over the years. We've seen great ran and honest tryouts when the coaches could really evaluate the players.
This was not one of those tryouts...

The girls warmed up warmed up and then sat for an hour until it was their turn to run out and field a ball. Every kid but maybe 3 made some type of defensive error.
Hitting wise they brought out a old pitching machine, cranked it up to 60 and gave each girl 10 balls.
The machine threw every other ball in the dirt or over the girls heads. No girl made contact with more than 4 balls.

Our daughter was lucky enough to make it. But honestly that wasn't a fair tryout. Players I've seen play and were area 1st team, all Ohio type players were turned away because they couldn't hit a garbage pitching machine.

I just think in a tryout if it's ran like that and they can't get a good evaluation of the girls they need to use a different method for picking teams.
I am curious to know why it is formatted the way it is by having tryouts instead of allowing coaches to select the players when selecting all-conference and all-district.
Last edited by SportsGirl83 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BackroadHero
Waterboy

Post by BackroadHero »

Very good question honestly.

Gopher
Varsity

Post by Gopher »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:41 pm The district all star game is a like a polka dotted unicorn around here , some people claim to have seen it but its more mythical legend than reality ... I jest .. Here is the bottom line .. the other 3-4 areas of ohio promote this game , there is a tradition of playing in it and it being a fun event .. the tradition in SEO is its just not taken seriously , the management ( coaches ??) just are not that into it , the season ends and they are done . My kid played in it 1 year , went up to Cbus and got beat 15-0 a few times , games lasted forever , they batted the lineup , the South had zero pitching show up . She said " never again" . So until someone takes a interest and guides the tryout process and assures a competitive team goes up there its going to continue to be a nothing burger in these necks of the woods .
Maybe if a few of the good ole boys worked as hard as getting this going as they do collaborating for post season awards the SEO could form a good team.
Right there with you MD !

SE District has been and will continue to be the whipping post for the other districts in Ohio until it changes from the top. Most of the players that should be representing do it once (mine did like yours) and come away with " I got better things to do".

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

whats the deal with not releasing the all district team?

rocket20
Freshman Team

Post by rocket20 »

Probably just so late that no one cares.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

I've always been of the mindset that SOME , not all , want them delayed as long as possible to bring as little light to the tomfoolery that goes on. Its this way every year . Softball is weeks after baseball , and gets next to zero coverage. Its a shame the players who invest lots of work deserve the ink.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:08 am I've always been of the mindset that SOME , not all , want them delayed as long as possible to bring as little light to the tomfoolery that goes on. Its this way every year . Softball is weeks after baseball , and gets next to zero coverage. Its a shame the players who invest lots of work deserve the ink.
Exactly!!

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

is there a list of all state teams? I would like to see it, does anyone have at least a list of all the kids that made it from southeast district?

Noodle319
Freshman Team

Post by Noodle319 »

captainmorgan_ wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:22 pm is there a list of all state teams? I would like to see it, does anyone have at least a list of all the kids that made it from southeast district?
ohsfsca.org

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

Noodle319 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:16 am
captainmorgan_ wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:22 pm is there a list of all state teams? I would like to see it, does anyone have at least a list of all the kids that made it from southeast district?
ohsfsca.org
great! thanks

Return to “Softball”