Ironton softball 2021

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Re: Ironton softball 2021

Post by ManitouDan »

SE_Ohio_Athletics wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:56 pm
ColdHardTruth wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:37 am True. 12 innings on any pitcher this late in the season is risky though.
Some of these crazy travel ball people play multiple games in one day and a pitcher could pitch far more than 12 innings in one day in the big tournaments. I can see both sides of the argument though.
14 innings , 2 games with a 4-6 hours rest in between is far less risky than 16 innings straight . And that travel ball event might have 1-10 or more college coaches with a checkbook ( offer) handy .. not exactly the same IMHO . Not crazy in the slightest.

Liberal:(n) A person so open minded their brains fell out .
captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

no way that should have happened the week the tournament starts. this game was meaningless don’t risk losing your pitcher over it

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

resulted in a loss anyways why risk it

SE_Ohio_Athletics
Waterboy

Post by SE_Ohio_Athletics »

ManitouDan wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:08 pm
ColdHardTruth wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:37 am True. 12 innings on any pitcher this late in the season is risky though.
Some of these crazy travel ball people play multiple games in one day and a pitcher could pitch far more than 12 innings in one day in the big tournaments. I can see both sides of the argument though.
14 innings , 2 games with a 4-6 hours rest in between is far less risky than 16 innings straight . And that travel ball event might have 1-10 or more college coaches with a checkbook ( offer) handy .. not exactly the same IMHO . Not crazy in the slightest.
So let me understand your point. You say it is better to throw a complete game then wait a couple of hours then throw another complete game. The muscles are just trying to repair themselves and then you put added pressure for the possibility of maybe being the 5% of softball athletes to maybe get a chance at a scholarship. Travel ball is no longer where the elite play with some exception of the elite teams. Most travel ball teams are dad coaches who started a team because their kid wasn’t good enough for the ones they have to try out for. Local and regional tournaments in this area let anyone in who pays the several hundred dollar entry fee. It is a money maker in most cases for someone that has contacts to get a series of fields on a weekend.

RiverRatfastpitch
Waterboy

Post by RiverRatfastpitch »

SE_Ohio_Athletics wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:19 pm

So let me understand your point. You say it is better to throw a complete game then wait a couple of hours then throw another complete game. The muscles are just trying to repair themselves and then you put added pressure for the possibility of maybe being the 5% of softball athletes to maybe get a chance at a scholarship. Travel ball is no longer where the elite play with some exception of the elite teams. Most travel ball teams are dad coaches who started a team because their kid wasn’t good enough for the ones they have to try out for. Local and regional tournaments in this area let anyone in who pays the several hundred dollar entry fee. It is a money maker in most cases for someone that has contacts to get a series of fields on a weekend.
Theres an ounce of truth in your post. Ton of Travel ball teams out there that are nothing more than daddy ball clubs , and yes there there is a fair amount of greed out there. ... the teams from out west that come to Ohio ( Firecrackers. ?) to expand are not doing it for their fondness of softball players in the midwest . But I was clearly referring to the traditional high level travel team where college coaches are there , evaluating a pitcher . On the other hand I've been around 14-16u players recently who dont have a grasp of the basic rules of the game and most certainly only play because of the type of teams you mentioned , they simply couldn't make a traditional travel team . and yes I do think its less risky ( I never said it was good ) to throw 2 seven innings games with 4-6 hours rest in between ,than throwing 16 innings straight . Its 2 less innings with a resting period .

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

not sure how anyone could argue that was a smart move to throw that girl 16 innings right before tourney in a meaningless ball game

SE_Ohio_Athletics
Waterboy

Post by SE_Ohio_Athletics »

RiverRatfastpitch wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:27 am
SE_Ohio_Athletics wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:19 pm

Theres an ounce of truth in your post. Ton of Travel ball teams out there that are nothing more than daddy ball clubs , and yes there there is a fair amount of greed out there. ... the teams from out west that come to Ohio ( Firecrackers. ?) to expand are not doing it for their fondness of softball players in the midwest . But I was clearly referring to the traditional high level travel team where college coaches are there , evaluating a pitcher . On the other hand I've been around 14-16u players recently who dont have a grasp of the basic rules of the game and most certainly only play because of the type of teams you mentioned , they simply couldn't make a traditional travel team . and yes I do think its less risky ( I never said it was good ) to throw 2 seven innings games with 4-6 hours rest in between ,than throwing 16 innings straight . Its 2 less innings with a resting period .
I would say that Ironton's coach was just preparing their pitcher for an intense game situation such as this one against an undefeated team. I would definitely agree that it isn't best practice to do so but my point was it happens a lot where a pitcher throws far more than they should in any one day. I think OHSAA should look at limiting inning pitched in one day to help protect these young athletes from coaches who put their will of getting that W over the chance of injuring a young lady.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

I would say Ironton’s coach just didn’t want to lose that game... there’s no argument that would justify leaving her in to pitch for 16 innings (as said above for a meaningless game)

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Ironton should be prohibited favorite in 2022 to go the farthest in this region. Crickets on here last few days.

SoftballAlways
Waterboy

Post by SoftballAlways »

Why would you say that?

BigChuck
JV Team

Post by BigChuck »

Ironton has an elite pitcher for the area/high school ranks no doubt... But Wheelersburg has multiple elite players who've played at elite levels since little league... Wheelersburg is the prohibitive favorite in the region for years to come.

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I wouldn’t count The Tigers out. If a very good pitcher thinks , I’ll walk the 1 or 2 power hitters on a team and I’ll take my chances with rest of lineup… play the odds and most of time a dominant pitcher can control the game and also if the pitchers team can score some runs then play the odds . Practice defending against the bunt because they want you to be able to make plays on bunts., practice this all year,and odds go up even greater. Tigers need to work on more fundamentals and score 3-4 runs a game at least and let Moore produce her magic. Take the bat out of the hands of hitters and then strikeouts and fielding balls for outs, pretty simple.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Prime Time wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:26 pm I wouldn’t count The Tigers out. If a very good pitcher thinks , I’ll walk the 1 or 2 power hitters on a team and I’ll take my chances with rest of lineup… play the odds and most of time a dominant pitcher can control the game and also if the pitchers team can score some runs then play the odds . Practice defending against the bunt because they want you to be able to make plays on bunts., practice this all year,and odds go up even greater. Tigers need to work on more fundamentals and score 3-4 runs a game at least and let Moore produce her magic. Take the bat out of the hands of hitters and then strikeouts and fielding balls for outs, pretty simple.

The Pirates just beat Moore and the Tigers 9-1 with only 2 seniors in their lineup. Burg has very strong hitters 1-9.

Moore is a great pitcher and should do well in college as well.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

wburg entire line up just too tough. moore needs more solid players behind her

Return to “Softball”