Wheelersburg softball 2021

longball
JV Team

Re: Wheelersburg softball 2021

Post by longball »

mglight88 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:17 pm That's not logical. It don't matter how big the school is !!!!
There are several really small schools, but have elite teams that time and time again wins championships.
With more student-athletes attending school makes for more opportunity like full JV Rosters, Freshman rosters.
Talent comes from players and coaches, not the size of the school, and if anyone tells you different. THEY'RE DEAD WRONG
Then why are there athletic divisions in Ohio? The size of the school determines the size of the talent pool. Theoretically, the bigger the talent pool, the better the team.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Size of the school matters. But....

Here's the magic that Burg has captured in a bottle.
Size of school or not there's an expectation at Burg that if you play a sport your going to commit to that sport if you expect to see play time.

Many small schools might have 3-5 players who commit and show up to every off season camp, join a travel squad and play year round. But at Burg you have that commitment on the entire roster even kids deep on the bench.

That breeds success, in turn you then naturally draw talent from other schools who are unhappy with their situations. Burg will continue to be successful as long as this model holds up and I don't see it going anywhere for a while.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

longball wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:10 pm
JTEK wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:05 pm
14U wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:30 am

Why would burg play down? Burg is too good for that! Burg plays league and plays up. That’s my answer to as why they don’t play the 4 time SOC I champs. Is that what you think also?
School size means playing down?
I mean yea kind of. Burg just played a school about 4x their size and I would consider that as “playing up”...
Yep, and it makes them better and tournament ready!!

14U
S

Post by 14U »

JTEK wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:05 pm
14U wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:30 am
fbnut wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:20 am
I’ve been told the clay burg thing won’t happen because of ruby clay connection
Don’t read anything bad into it, it’s nothing like a former burg basketball coach that stepped down rather than have to play the burg when his school moved up to SOC2
Why would burg play down? Burg is too good for that! Burg plays league and plays up. That’s my answer to as why they don’t play the 4 time SOC I champs. Is that what you think also?
School size means playing down?

Yep! It’s never a good thing playing smaller schools when you have a program like Burg. Also those smaller school might have a team that could stay with Burg but not year in year out. If you want to get better you play bigger and better. Just like Burg lost to a #5 big school in Kentucky and was in the game and they know they can play with anybody their size.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

mglight88 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:17 pm That's not logical. It don't matter how big the school is !!!!
There are several really small schools, but have elite teams that time and time again wins championships.
With more student-athletes attending school makes for more opportunity like full JV Rosters, Freshman rosters.
Talent comes from players and coaches, not the size of the school, and if anyone tells you different. THEY'RE DEAD WRONG
Schedules are made 2 years ahead and smaller schools are unpredictable in their competitiveness. So one risk of playing down is getting a game that isn’t competitive and the second is risk of loss. Losing to lower team hurts rankings....

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Burg over Ashland KY

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

caught the wburg and boyel county kentucky game over the weekend have to say the i can see room for improvement for the younger kids im sure they will improve daily. hughes bat is huge. the kid batting 4 also has big bat. is eller out?

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

What rankings are you talking about and if Minford has more 10-12 than Burg, does that make them more predictable than Burg??

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

rxburgfan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:34 am
Schedules are made 2 years ahead and smaller schools are unpredictable in their competitiveness. So one risk of playing down is getting a game that isn’t competitive and the second is risk of loss. Losing to lower team hurts rankings....
When’s the last time ND wasn’t competitive? Could care less about getting beat by a smaller team and rankings. The point is it’s a 15 minute drive, big crowd, good atmosphere and it gets you better.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

[/quote]

I think everyone knows in baseball and softball schedules are never truly complete and after rainouts and loss of games teams are always picking up games to add near the end of April and Beginning of May before tournaments. Very rarely does a team get all 27 games in for the season. So there is always wiggle room to pick up a team that would make for a great matchup!

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

I would like to see Burg pick up Note Dame before tournament time. I’m not so sure it’s Burg keeping these games from happening if that’s what some are implying.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

ND has built strong enough of a program (in all girls sports) that their size/division shouldn't scare bigger schools away from playing them. Scheduling ND basically not the normal lose/lose situation you get with bigger schools scheduling smaller schools.

With Burg having all the leverage, I'd call them and see if they interested in a game this year at Burg. Burg's bats probably too strong for ND, but would still be a fun matchup that would draw a huge crowd and generate a lot of interest in casual fans as well.*

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

It would certainly benefit ND a TON , they ( used to be " we" , I coached there) play in a terribly weak conference , they are stuck playing 8-10 games a year that are not benefiting them at all. It even hurts , you get bad habits playing down that often . ND needs to schedule up as much as possible to help make that deep tourney run. Would it help Burg ? it wouldnt hurt , anytime you can see good pitching it challenges your team . And ND's girl is dang good.

Anyway its a Burg thread , we kinda hijacked it . They play the toughest schedule they can put together every season , they certainly dont dodge anyone.

Liberal:(n) A person so open minded their brains fell out .
longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Burg left their bats at home tonight in win over west.. in walk off fashion (homerun by Kennard.) But to give credit where credit is due, McDermott pitched a really good game and defense made the plays. West will be tougher than most think come tourney time. Howard pitched a great game tonight too..

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Good win BURG

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Burg over Oak Hill. Burg had 5 homeruns by 5 different players..

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

longball wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:15 pm Burg over Oak Hill. Burg had 5 homeruns by 5 different players..
impressive how many does that make this season?

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Burg over Northwest tonight.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

captainmorgan_ wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:12 pm
longball wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:15 pm Burg over Oak Hill. Burg had 5 homeruns by 5 different players..
impressive how many does that make this season?
As a team? I think around 30 give or take. And Burg hasn’t really played that many games compared to some teams. Record is 14-1 I believe.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Minford was right with the Pirates this evening through 5 innings 8-5, but two hits and 4 errors byt the Falcons ended the contest with one out in the bottom, of the sixth 15-5. Proud of my Falcons after striking out 17 times to West Wednesday.

Return to “Softball”