Wheelersburg softball 2021

mglight88
SE

Re: Wheelersburg softball 2021

Post by mglight88 »

Gallia got beat 25 runs and they would be competitive in soc.... what?

Areukidinme
Waterboy

Post by Areukidinme »

Yep, that is what I said, Gallia would be competitive in SOC II, they are a division 2 team. They have two players on the roster who have committed to colleges for softball. I believe they will face the trojans and a couple of other local teams. If I am wrong, won't be the first time. I travel a lot so I get to see a great deal of these local games, Ironton (has a potential D1 pitcher), Wellston will be a test and I am sure there are a couple of teams from Chillicothe who will want a shot at the Burg. I think South Webster will be their competition in the SOC, good pitcher on that squad.

Hey, I was just trying to explain what I saw and although I knew the Burg seniors were tough outs, I had no idea the younger kids could play as well. These are the kids who won the world series couple of years ago. They only have two pitchers, both lefthanders, so if they can get kids out at the district level and beyond it could be a good season for the Burg. Its all about pitching once the tournament starts, the burg pitchers don't have to worry about keeping a 5.00 ERA.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

gallia has a good team. in the ovc I hear coal grove may win it. but excited to see what hughes and sturgill and co do this year i thought they had a shot at state last year. was sure it would either be wburg or ironton. with ironton being down other than moore pitching I expect wburg to be in the final four.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

If ladies stay healthy Everyone in SEO playing for second. A long deep state run is ahead of the 2021 ladies.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Pirates were 3-0 today against Symmes Valley, Wellston, and Fairland. I couldn’t tell you the scores but they didn’t give up one run. These girls are fun to watch!

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Sounds like deep runs in the tournament for a few years at least. I know the junior high grades are stocked as well.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Burg over Lewis Co KY tonight. Not sure of the score. Lewis Co pitcher is the real deal.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

longball wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:59 pm Burg over Lewis Co KY tonight. Not sure of the score. Lewis Co pitcher is the real deal.
She was impressive against that lineup. Thought she got a little tired toward the end
Burgs D was shaky early
Some good at bats from both teams against 2 good pitchers
I might be off but I had 5-2 when I left

Areukidinme
Waterboy

Post by Areukidinme »

Burg, was looking for test and they got one, Lewis County pitcher was very good. Very few well hit balls, except for a blast from the sophomore lefthander. Burg made a couple of easy plays look difficult in the first inning and fell behind but chipped away for a win. Big crowd and very good game for a scrimmage. Burg pitcher did well after settling down first inning. On to the conference, and what will be an exciting year. If they can play defense and hit above average pitching, could be a big year. They all got a dose of what regional and state caliber pitchers will look like, they have work to do.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Areukidinme wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:09 am Burg, was looking for test and they got one, Lewis County pitcher was very good. Very few well hit balls, except for a blast from the sophomore lefthander. Burg made a couple of easy plays look difficult in the first inning and fell behind but chipped away for a win. Big crowd and very good game for a scrimmage. Burg pitcher did well after settling down first inning. On to the conference, and what will be an exciting year. If they can play defense and hit above average pitching, could be a big year. They all got a dose of what regional and state caliber pitchers will look like, they have work to do.
I think defensively the outfield is going to be pretty good, above avg. Infield I’m not to sure about

Areukidinme
Waterboy

Post by Areukidinme »

In a game like last night defense is important and there will be other games down the road where it could make a big difference. Don't know the girls well but through word of mouth I know expectations for this senior class is high. Last night infield was shaky in first inning, maybe a little nervous, expectations are sometime difficult to achieve. Outfield is young, good arm in right, but really haven't been tested yet. We are looking forward to playing them in the tournament.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Is this the team who won the National little league chip?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

mattash wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:14 pm Is this the team who won the National little league chip?
I noticed 3 starters from that team in field
1 from the team DH’d
All freshman I believe
A couple more were in dugout and may have played after I left

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

fbnut wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:28 am
Areukidinme wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:09 am Burg, was looking for test and they got one, Lewis County pitcher was very good. Very few well hit balls, except for a blast from the sophomore lefthander. Burg made a couple of easy plays look difficult in the first inning and fell behind but chipped away for a win. Big crowd and very good game for a scrimmage. Burg pitcher did well after settling down first inning. On to the conference, and what will be an exciting year. If they can play defense and hit above average pitching, could be a big year. They all got a dose of what regional and state caliber pitchers will look like, they have work to do.
I think defensively the outfield is going to be pretty good, above avg. Infield I’m not to sure about

A couple first inning errors and their ability is questioned?.. lol. The senior infielders were above average when they started as freshmen. Add Eaton at first, and I’m pretty sure you don’t find a better IF around.

Areukidinme
Waterboy

Post by Areukidinme »

Ouch, Longball I have followed these kids for several years (from a distance), I remember when they were freshman, saw several of their games and was very impressed. I was not questioning their ability but I do question when the bell rings at tournament time if they will respond. You must be a parent.....sorry if I touched a nerve.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Areukidinme wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:54 pm Ouch, Longball I have followed these kids for several years (from a distance), I remember when they were freshman, saw several of their games and was very impressed. I was not questioning their ability but I do question when the bell rings at tournament time if they will respond. You must be a parent.....sorry if I touched a nerve.
I wasn’t even referring to your comment.. I was talking about the statement saying OF was above average but not so sure about IF. I am a parent. I don’t hide behind a screen name.. I just know those girls and how hard they have worked and what they have accomplished and I don’t think they are any way at or below average, especially around here. I do agree, come tournament time, you can’t choke and have a repeat of 2019.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

longball wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:00 pm
Areukidinme wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:54 pm Ouch, Longball I have followed these kids for several years (from a distance), I remember when they were freshman, saw several of their games and was very impressed. I was not questioning their ability but I do question when the bell rings at tournament time if they will respond. You must be a parent.....sorry if I touched a nerve.
I wasn’t even referring to your comment.. I was talking about the statement saying OF was above average but not so sure about IF. I am a parent. I don’t hide behind a screen name.. I just know those girls and how hard they have worked and what they have accomplished and I don’t think they are any way at or below average, especially around here. I do agree, come tournament time, you can’t choke and have a repeat of 2019.
I wasn’t referring to around here, it won’t matter
Easier to make throws and great plays when your up 7-8 runs
Not as easy when it’s tied and your season is on the line
And I wasn’t questioning how hard they have worked
Personally I think every team in every sport the burg puts out there works their butt off
Come tourney time the deeper they go one error could end your season
Errors ended the 19 season and I’m sure those girls worked hard too
Offensively this might be the best team Ruby’s had at the burg and they are a very good team with the potential to be a great team
It’s early and they didn’t look sharp and it was just an observation

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

No, they did not look sharp in that scrimmage. I definitely agree on that.. but out of 5 games, the team had given up 2 runs and committed 2 errors total. Not too bad for not playing together since 2019. I guess the problem I had with your observation was that you seemed to make it sound like none of them have been successful in high pressure situations... they play under high pressure almost every travel ball game. So I don’t worry too much about that this time around. Still a lot of work to be done...

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

longball wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:57 pm No, they did not look sharp in that scrimmage. I definitely agree on that.. but out of 5 games, the team had given up 2 runs and committed 2 errors total. Not too bad for not playing together since 2019. I guess the problem I had with your observation was that you seemed to make it sound like none of them have been successful in high pressure situations... they play under high pressure almost every travel ball game. So I don’t worry too much about that this time around. Still a lot of work to be done...
I hope the team doesn’t commit an error the entire year and they bring home another state title

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

even the best teams make errors even pros. a season with no errors is an impossible expectation. look forward to watching this team and I agree offense is best but they still should have best defense in district maybe even regional in that division. when is wburgs next saturday game?

Return to “Softball”