SE

Re: SOC 1 Predictions

Post by transplant »

What grade is Detwiller?

Real Time
Freshman Team

Post by Real Time »

transplant wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:15 pm What grade is Detwiller?
She is a senior.

Real Time
Freshman Team

Post by Real Time »

I watched several SOC 1 games this season and POY should have been a 2 player race, Detwiller and Bazler.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Real Time wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:31 pm
transplant wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:15 pm What grade is Detwiller?
She is a senior.
Thanks, usually underclassmen get passed over for awards, just curious.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

You guys might think that. But heard through the grapevine it wasn't even a close vote.
Also having spoke to very well respected coaches who coaches Jenkins either at Green or on her Travel Team they aren't surprised either. She plays every position on the field, stat wise the only thing the other 2 probably have on her is homeruns and I know Green played just as competitive a schedule as the others this year.

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:53 pm You guys might think that. But heard through the grapevine it wasn't even a close vote.
Also having spoke to very well respected coaches who coaches Jenkins either at Green or on her Travel Team they aren't surprised either. She plays every position on the field, stat wise the only thing the other 2 probably have on her is homeruns and I know Green played just as competitive a schedule as the others this year.
I think the vote for district tells the story. When four players from the SOC1 get All State nods yet the SOC1 Player of the Year isn't one of those four something is up. Sounds like deals can be made with a smaller group of coaches in conference but its harder to do that when there are 19 teams/coaches in the district vote.

I don't want to make it too personal towards the player cause she is a good kid but she was put into this situation by the coaches. When the SOC1 POY goes 2-11 with 6 strikeouts against the three best teams in the Conference that is not a good look for the Conference.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Lol sounds like it is personal if you took the time to research her stats against the other teams. I wonder if your stats match theirs too.
But according to everyone on her stats are incorrect and can't be trusted.

Let me go ahead and cut people off because everyone wants to blame Daddy ball or the Coaches.
Every player but 1 that I heard was nominated either had a parent as a Coach or an Assistant Coach.
The other girls were on teams with winning seasons. It's a lot easier to get votes for District when you're team in headlining every news page. I'm more impressed that the Green girl had enough respect from the Coaches in the area to still get POY and 1st Team District on a team that was .500 and didn't have a newspaper cover them all year.

SoftballGirl
Freshman Team

Post by SoftballGirl »

It took 30 seconds to look the stats up. All you have to do is go to Maxpreps and look at their team site. Not as difficult as you make it sound.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Lol you're just never going to win arguing stats..
I thought the SOC1 nailed it this year. It was the one year they didn't vote strictly on record and stats.

Estep was easily coach of the year. Some of the other coaches with better records they have much better talent on their team, thanks to the kids putting in the work that they really don't have to do anything. Heck half the time they have another coach even calling pitches. Estep has his girls on his field year round putting in the work.

Sparks was easily pitcher of the year. She's put in the work and would dominate anywhere on any team she pitched for.

Jenkins was player of the year. This isn't a stats award. This is most valuable player to their program. You take her off that Green team and they aren't a Team to worry about. Instead of a team that beats Rock Hill, Coal Grove and suffers 1 run losses against Symmes Valley, Manchester and the all mighty Notre Dame.

You take Detweiller off Notre Dame they will still go undefeated. You got a better argument for Bazler at Clay but Lutz can still carry that team.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:53 pm You guys might think that. But heard through the grapevine it wasn't even a close vote.
I can appreciate your loyalty to your kids as well as the kids in your program. That speaks for Green’s competitiveness over the last few years... However, with all due respect, SOC1 first team selection for Green is Kimbler, Jenkins 2nd team..
Claire Detweiler, the senior difference maker and leader on the Best team, POY.

Real Time
Freshman Team

Post by Real Time »

Moses Guthrie wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:50 pm
I can appreciate your loyalty to your kids as well as the kids in your program. That speaks for Green’s competitiveness over the last few years... However, with all due respect, SOC1 first team selection for Green is Kimbler, Jenkins 2nd team..
If the vote was not even close Green must have gotten all of the teams at the bottom of the league to vote for his player. I can't see any of the top 3 teams in the league voting for a player from another team.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Moses Guthrie wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:50 pm
Its all good. I can honestly respect other people's opinions when they aren't bashing a kid. And that's not just Green kids, a program I've been around. I've taken up for any kid in here over the years I've been on here when ever a bunch of Trolls crawl out from under their bridge and start bashing kids.

I just find it asinine when ever some one gets on here and starts crying "good ol boy system" or "daddy ball".
If those kind of back door handshakes happen all the time then I don't think a kid from Franklin Furnace Green would have a shot at ANY major award ever.
Props to this player for getting the respect from the multiple coaches who voted for her.

Every year we argue over POY, Pitcher of Year and Coach of the Year. Every year we swear they got it wrong. Maybe we're the ones who don't know what the heck we're talking about.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Y’all didn’t talk about softball all season now you want to get on here and argue about who should or shouldn’t be poy lol

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

longball wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:10 pm Y’all didn’t talk about softball all season now you want to get on here and argue about who should or shouldn’t be poy lol
I know. And I'm guilty of it too. I miss the days when we use to get on here and hear about other teams. When the trash talk was light and never personal. When we told ya to "get your popcorn ready" lol..

Sadly I think most of that group is gone. Most of the time people just get on here now to start drama. It's the "Topix of Highschool Sports".

That's kinda why I slowed down coming on.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:41 pm Lol you're just never going to win arguing stats..
I thought the SOC1 nailed it this year. It was the one year they didn't vote strictly on record and stats.

Estep was easily coach of the year. Some of the other coaches with better records they have much better talent on their team, thanks to the kids putting in the work that they really don't have to do anything. Heck half the time they have another coach even calling pitches. Estep has his girls on his field year round putting in the work.

Sparks was easily pitcher of the year. She's put in the work and would dominate anywhere on any team she pitched for.

Jenkins was player of the year. This isn't a stats award. This is most valuable player to their program. You take her off that Green team and they aren't a Team to worry about. Instead of a team that beats Rock Hill, Coal Grove and suffers 1 run losses against Symmes Valley, Manchester and the all mighty Notre Dame.

You take Detweiller off Notre Dame they will still go undefeated. You got a better argument for Bazler at Clay but Lutz can still carry that team.
I disagree 100% about " it isnt a stats award" you are welcome to that opinion , but a fair argument could be made a team that went 6-10 but had 1 really good player was entirely , 100% the difference in her team getting those 6 wins , does that make her POY material ? And 1 run losses is simply weak , you either win or you lose , and if you want to tell both sides of the scores didnt ND also beat Green 20-0 in their other contest ? Or something close to that ? Detwiller plays the most demanding position ( other than P) , played on the best team , and hit for a higher average , more HR's , has more RBI's and should have won the award . I'm not affiliated with any team nor have any girls playing , I dont care , but I was around the SOC1 for years , deals are struck , dislike for ND is always present and deserving kids from that school get less recognition than they rightly deserve , was that way 8-10 years ago , prob gonna be that way for a while . Part of it is schools at the bottom do refuse to vote for their players , and part of it is the old boys network of " you vote for mine , I'll vote for yours " .. Its perfectly fine to fight for your own if she has the stats to back it up . But those adults need to remember if your kid didnt have the type of year another player did , do whats right and vote for the best players , regardless of school .
Lastly before I get called to prove it , NO , I'm not naming some name from past or example from the past so someone else can scream " he's bashing kids" I'm not doing it . But until the guys that cast votes for are called out .. this will never be fixed. Fire away , lol . dont care.

Liberal:(n) A person so open minded their brains fell out .
longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

I always felt like POY should come from the winning team. If a team is good enough to beat everyone else, there has to be at least one kid deserving on that team. I also get tired of “stats don’t matter”.. if they don’t matter, then why do we even keep them? I can look at 2 players stats against the same teams and tell you who the better player is... or at least who was better in those games..

sportsnutscioto
Waterboy

Post by sportsnutscioto »

IMO Player of the Year means you were the VERY best player in that conference all year long. It’s not the Person of the Year award or Pitcher of the Year Award or Utility Player of the Year Award. It’s an award for the player that hit for the best hitting numbers, pitched their team to wins on mainly their talent, or played the best defense AND hit well. Character and leadership do play into it, but shouldn’t be the measuring stick. POY awards are special for players that worked hard to be the best and are the best players on that conference.

If you don’t lead the conference in two out of six of these categories and top three in the remaining (AVG, HR, RBI, OB%, SLG%, 2b’s/3b’s) you should question the award from the offensive perspective.

If you’re a pitcher (in softball) for a .500 win% or less team you shouldn’t win the award. You simply didn’t carry the team. If you didn’t lead the conference in lowest ERA, if you have more losses as a pitcher than any starting pitcher below you in team standings you’re not the POY. You should be near the lowest runs allowed per game, and one of the top WHIP’s in the conference to be a POY as a pitcher.

Defensively, less errors at your position than any other player at the same position. Catchers need to have the reputation for shutting teams down and controlling their pitching staff. To be a defensive POY you have to have some offensive numbers to back it up. Again IMO.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

sportsnutscioto wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:40 am IMO Player of the Year means you were the VERY best player in that conference all year long. It’s not the Person of the Year award or Pitcher of the Year Award or Utility Player of the Year Award. It’s an award for the player that hit for the best hitting numbers, pitched their team to wins on mainly their talent, or played the best defense AND hit well. Character and leadership do play into it, but shouldn’t be the measuring stick. POY awards are special for players that worked hard to be the best and are the best players on that conference.

If you don’t lead the conference in two out of six of these categories and top three in the remaining (AVG, HR, RBI, OB%, SLG%, 2b’s/3b’s) you should question the award from the offensive perspective.

If you’re a pitcher (in softball) for a .500 win% or less team you shouldn’t win the award. You simply didn’t carry the team. If you didn’t lead the conference in lowest ERA, if you have more losses as a pitcher than any starting pitcher below you in team standings you’re not the POY. You should be near the lowest runs allowed per game, and one of the top WHIP’s in the conference to be a POY as a pitcher.

Defensively, less errors at your position than any other player at the same position. Catchers need to have the reputation for shutting teams down and controlling their pitching staff. To be a defensive POY you have to have some offensive numbers to back it up. Again IMO.
Dead on . Well stated. Sadly its certainly not seen that way by more than 1 coach .

Liberal:(n) A person so open minded their brains fell out .
ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

It comes down to personal preference i guess. Stop discrediting a player by saying "the coaches all had an agreement to screw someone over"
We're all better than that, I don't think Green coach has enough stroke with the other SOC Coaches to carry the votes if there wasn't an actual belief in the player.

As a Coach do you want the girl with the highest batting average and plays one position great. Or do you want a girl who plays EVERY position at the highest level with a slightly lower average.

There is no wrong answer. Its about how each individual looks at building a team.

AIM
Waterboy

Post by AIM »

Come on now. You can spin this anyway you want to back up certain selections but when someone says "Player of the Year", everyone automatically thinks the same thing. The very best player throughout the conference with the best stats to back it up. NOT a player who plays any position when needed and is above average at them. Most of your top players can play multiple positions very well, just aren't called on to do so. Something wrong when a POY in a conference doesnt go on to receive any mention at state. But then again entirely different set of voters.

Return to “Softball”