Sports seasons and Covid safeguards

mglight88
SE

Sports seasons and Covid safeguards

Post by mglight88 »

Can someone explain to me what happened to Covid safeguards during basketball season and tournament. During seaon play, Schools could only have 15 percent cap for games players had to be in masks on the bench, but come regionals and state, bleachers were nearly full at southeastern. State game at Dayton, both team benches no masks, coaches no masks, players and coaches were high fiving and hugging each other.
Rules for spring. masks to be worn, no high fives, no hand shakes, no fist bumps. no celebrating homeruns, six feet distance in dugouts. Now most schools will suopport 15 player rosters, three coaches, statistician, and trainer, and most school dugouts are the same size. No possible way all could keep 6 feet distance.
I understand about safety concearns, but if inside gym during tourmnents cn alter Covid rules, why would spring sports (Outside) go back to extreme.
Anyone thoughts ?

longball
JV Team

Re: Sports seasons and Covid safeguards

Post by longball »

Yea they just need to do what’s happening in basketball right now, stop complying to these crazy rules. It’s all political and people are starting to finally realize how draconian these rules or guidelines really are. If you can high five your friend at practice and pack the team in a dugout then you can do it during the game. Don’t suck the fun out of spring sports.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Just watched Napoleon coaches and players all hugging each other celebrating their state championship over VC... but no homerun celebrations at the plate during softball.. outside?? Give me a break. Teams just need to do it.

Also been watching college softball and they’re not following any crazy rules like not giving your own teammate a high five. Whoever wrote these “rules” must still be hiding in their basement..

NW97
Freshman Team

Post by NW97 »

I already heard of one high school field that all spectators have to wear a mask at games which just seems asinine when you're outside.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

It's all for SHOW People! No one is following the Science! The only reason OHSAA and Schools are doing what they are doing is for Liability reasons. Schools are so afraid of lawsuits now a days they will do whatever! Take off the masks go back to OUTSIDE Normal and allow these kids to play the game the way it should be played. Also, if a pitcher or player licks their fingers then the ball must be removed and the coach must run out and sanitize their hands. SMH :roll:

Momofrunners
Freshman Team

Post by Momofrunners »

Just more “Corona-Contradictions”
We can have unlimited tickets for middle school basketball championship games but seniors get empty stands, no banquets, limited tickets for senior nights, a prom shoved outside with only 2 spectators per prom-goer, who knows how graduation will go, etc, etc....
Over it!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

NW97 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:27 am I already heard of one high school field that all spectators have to wear a mask at games which just seems asinine when you're outside.
This is statewide.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

IC if players makes a play on the ball in the outfield and ump rules dead ball, because players weren't 6 feet apart. Or as baserunner gets tagged out on a infield play, and then ump calls time for the ball, and glove to be sanitized be play to continue.
Last edited by mglight88 on Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Yea and just like I said happened with basketball, everyone got tired of following these stupid guidelines because they make no sense at all. I agree it’s all for show.. none of these rules are following the science and not one is actually protecting anyone. It’s mostly nonsense.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

softball Covid rules are even worse. basketball tournamenst teams were high fiving, no masks, softball each team playing no masks, but dugouts have to wear masks outside in pretty weather. players connot home plate celebrate their own player hitting one. Coaches pre game officials I understand, but no team dugouts. if one of your players is sick she don't play. Nobody else should have to wear masks or congradulate their own players HR.
Doesn't make since, if tourments players can hug and high-five each other in a gym, but why can't softball team outdoors

Return to “Softball”