Head Coach Vacancy

transplant
SE

Re: Head Coach Vacancy

Post by transplant »

A parent coaching and "Daddy Ball" are two different things in my mind. There have been parents that coach and happen to have a child play them. Also, some of the parent coaches have been pretty successful and were there before or after their child played for them. I don't follow softball hardly at all, but just curious how many current coaches are "Daddy Ball"?

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Lol that honestly depends on who you ask. I'm my opinion, there isn't many at the high school level. There's too much work and hoops to jump through. At that level "daddy ball" is usually just a term thrown around by someone who didn't get their way.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Thanks. I didn’t think there were too many dads coaching just to coach their kids. I know it happens. But I know what you mean.

NW97
Freshman Team

Post by NW97 »

transplant wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:34 pm Thanks. I didn’t think there were too many dads coaching just to coach their kids. I know it happens. But I know what you mean.
It's pretty telling if they start when their kids get there and quit once they graduate.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

NW97 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:10 am
transplant wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:34 pm Thanks. I didn’t think there were too many dads coaching just to coach their kids. I know it happens. But I know what you mean.
It's pretty telling if they start when their kids get there and quit once they graduate.
Right, I know. Still not too many that have done that at the High School level that i know of. A few sure, but i dont think the number is overwhelming. Could be wrong.

The Broker
Riding the Bench

Post by The Broker »

NW97 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:10 am
Yep, and this will be lil Suzie #2 for this daddy and mommy coaches. Coached #1 until she graduated then quit. I look for the same with #2. This only happens in softball and V-ball here. In V-ball there's the added variable of not only mommy ball but "I want to coach when there's talent and quit when the talent graduates." This is also round two for V-ball.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

The common excuse is "I want to spend more time with the family." No, the talent ran out.

The Broker
Riding the Bench

Post by The Broker »

petesweaty wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:24 pm The common excuse is "I want to spend more time with the family." No, the talent ran out.
YES!

Gator B Long
Freshman Team

Post by Gator B Long »

Any news on Fairland,RH, and CG openings?

RiverRatfastpitch
Waterboy

Post by RiverRatfastpitch »

Why so many openings in such a small area ?

The Broker
Riding the Bench

Post by The Broker »

RiverRatfastpitch wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:01 pm Why so many openings in such a small area ?
Suzie enters high school and daddy slides into the coaching job. Suzie graduates and daddy resigns. Vicious cycle. :o

sportsnutscioto
Waterboy

Post by sportsnutscioto »

The Rock Hill job would be great place to coach from a facilities standpoint. Young coaches should look at any open teaching jobs in this district. There’s a strong connection between RH high school and their LL program. It could be a great relationship that could help serve as a strong feeder system to HS.

Coal Grove has a very good small town support system. Coaching there you need to win the crowd and you’ll be treated fantastic. Like most teams in the OVC they have a nice new field. Again this would be a great place for a young coach to apply.

Fairland has some very dated facilities. They have a strong squad, but didn’t seem to have good team chemistry. I think the right coach here could turn their program around. Fairland needs to look around the OVC at other baseball and softball fields and make some updates.

I don’t believe that any of these open coaching positions had parents in the head coach role. Honestly, two out of the three schools probably made a mistake letting their coaches go.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Did Rock Hill let their Coach go our did she just not come back?

I have a feeling they probably felt like they have underperformed given they expectations they had of this group as they came up.
Most fans and parents don't understand Little League success doesn't always equal Varsity success.

Coal Grove would be a good job, still have a great pitcher I believe. But I think any Coach going there is at the mercy of the fan base which is hard to please.

sportsnutscioto
Waterboy

Post by sportsnutscioto »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:50 pm Did Rock Hill let their Coach go our did she just not come back?

I have a feeling they probably felt like they have underperformed given they expectations they had of this group as they came up.
Most fans and parents don't understand Little League success doesn't always equal Varsity success.

Coal Grove would be a good job, still have a great pitcher I believe. But I think any Coach going there is at the mercy of the fan base which is hard to please.
Rock Hill let their coach go. Not exactly sure why. You can’t say they underperformed in the conference. Ironton, Portsmouth and Coal Grove finished ahead of them. Which by all indications fourth place in the OVC is about right for them and I mean that with no disrespect. Rather respect for those top four teams. I’d say Rock Hill overall had a successful season.

Female coach, who played college softball and had the respect of other coaches, I’d say that’s hard to just dismiss. She’ll find another coaching job if she wants it.

Coal Grove had a good season overall. The coach puts in a lot of time and like Rock Hill is respected around the conference. He’ll have no trouble landing another coaching job if he wants it.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson coach resigned

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:54 pm Jackson coach resigned
Was Shane Wolford the Head Coach?

Momofrunners
Freshman Team

Post by Momofrunners »

Update on RH hire.

Carrie Blagg was hired with no High School level coaching experience. I think she has coached a bit in LL.
She was hired over Wayne Kellogg, Josh Morrison, and Brooke Long. All 3 have vast Varsity/HS coaching experience.

You all have a good day.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

ManitouDan wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:44 am
sportsnutscioto wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:43 pm These school districts should understand that quality coaches aren’t lining up to apply for these jobs. A few of the open jobs (baseball and softball) had teams that were actually relevant this season. It’s sad to see board members let disgruntled parents make their decisions for them. Some of these districts have invited the daddy ball parents to submit resumes. Good luck in your searches.
Speaking from experience , lots of it ... you are DEAD ON 100% accurate . I'm an assistant on a successful HS team currently. The amount of criticism and backstabbing and complaining is astounding. We had an assistant get questioned in the parking lot after our 2nd loss when our record was 14-1 .. by a freshman kids parent who doesnt even play varsity time ... same thing last night , we played pretty dang good in our tourney game , won 4-1 .. head coach gets questioned on why his daughter didnt get to pinch run ... and I could on for hours . Our staff is 3 NON parents and 1 parent. It sucks the fun out of volunteering . We spend 100s of hours away from family to be basically abused. Had a fan of the opposing team message me last night and say " man your fans sure are unhappy to be winning "
And just think what umpires go through, ones who spend as much time away, they deal with same idiots, and some coaches who are idiots.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

^^very true . We gave 1 guy a hard time this year but he was consistently blowing calls , against us ... in a big spot called obstruction on our SS receiving a throw from the catcher on a stolen base attempt . .... in my 20 years of fastpitch I've never ever seen it called ... the throw was SLIGHTLY on the 2b side , the throw easily beat the runner , runner slides into tag and it looked like a routine play ... nothing out of the ordinary .. dude calls her safe due to obstruction . In a tight tight tight regional tourney game. The game went 12 innings.
The previous week , in a tourney game , he called one of runners out saying the ball hit her as she ran to 2b .. he was the home plate blue .. the play happened 5 feet from the 2b ump who was staring at it .. he made no call . But this guy from 75 feet away says it hit her . It clearly didnt. He didnt catch too much grief on this one , he got both ear fulls on the stolen base attempt .

Liberal:(n) A person so open minded their brains fell out .
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:18 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:54 pm Jackson coach resigned
Was Shane Wolford the Head Coach?
No he resigned after last season

Return to “Softball”