Future of the SOC

BurgGrad6
SE

Re: Future of the SOC

Post by BurgGrad6 »

art_vandelay wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:21 am
BurgGrad6 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:25 pm If all of this is true... burg needs to get out of the soc2..
Burg already playing Oak Hill, so essentially just adding Northwest to this year's schedule (let them replace Fairland). If Burg stays D5, won't be a problem. If they go D4, then they gonna have to keep schools like Hartley/Watterson on schedule for the points and playoff prep.*
Oak hill really shouldn't be on burgs schedule.. last Friday was a joke. That week should be chilli or massie. Honestly west and waverly dont need oak hill or nw on their schedule either.. I think these moves are hindering the upper echelon of athletic programs in our area.

Soc2 should consist of Jackson, chilli,west,waverly,and burg
You could take the other teams and split and make a 3rd division.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

The change is way past due this will be for all sports just not football.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Burggrad6: Might be time for Burg to start looking at leaving the SOC then. Why not go in the new league with Jackson and Chillicothe if you've outgrown the SOC? Burg gonna be moving up in divisions in most sports in 2 years and with the bypass, don't see their enrollment dropping anytime soon. It seriously may be time for Burg to leave instead of reconfiguring the whole SOC to suit Burg.*

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

More I think about it,Waverly and Wheelersburg both may be better fits in Frontier Athletic Conference going forward. The Portsmouth bypass makes travel doable for Wheelersburg. Don't want to see Burg leave SOC, but that league might suit their needs better in the coming years.*

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

art_vandelay wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:35 pm More I think about it,Waverly and Wheelersburg both may be better fits in Frontier Athletic Conference going forward. The Portsmouth bypass makes travel doable for Wheelersburg. Don't want to see Burg leave SOC, but that league might suit their needs better in the coming years.*
I like that idea!

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

art_vandelay wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:35 pm More I think about it,Waverly and Wheelersburg both may be better fits in Frontier Athletic Conference going forward. The Portsmouth bypass makes travel doable for Wheelersburg. Don't want to see Burg leave SOC, but that league might suit their needs better in the coming years.*
Burg would never make it on time to any games other then Football. All other sports they show up 45 min to 1 hour late.
Driving to Washington, Greenfield, and others would be nearly impossible.LOL

Go independent! LOL

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

I know Oak Hill will benefit financially in moving. Playing in SOC 1 , home games take a hit. Green, ND, and others do not bring a big crowd. Playing SOC 2 games will increase attendance and revenue into the Athletic Dept!

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Rumor is Eastern is moving to the SOC II in basketball

Football fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Football fan »

Let’s not forget to take into consideration that Waverly is shopping around for another conference they have been very secretly for the last few years Western will not field a varsity team till 2019 it’s not a good idea to bring Manchester in to the SOC anyway Manchester’s Conference has 4 schools who have started back up their football programs over the last few yeas

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

baseball16 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:05 pm
Burg would never make it on time to any games other then Football. All other sports they show up 45 min to 1 hour late.
Driving to Washington, Greenfield, and others would be nearly impossible.LOL

Go independent! LOL
Independent is another option. It seems obvious that the Burg contingent is against Northwest and/or Oak Hill coming up to SOC II. Well, schools like East, Green, Symmes Valley and ND shouldn't be stuck playing schools 2-3 times their size just b/c Burg isn't happy. If playing Oak Hill and Northwest is going to screw up Burg football that bad, then independent or FAC are the only other options I see for Burg.*

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Football fan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:20 pm Let’s not forget to take into consideration that Waverly is shopping around for another conference they have been very secretly for the last few years Western will not field a varsity team till 2019 it’s not a good idea to bring Manchester in to the SOC anyway Manchester’s Conference has 4 schools who have started back up their football programs over the last few yeas
We've heard the rumblings of Waverly looking elsewhere for awhile now...I gotta think the FAC makes sense for Waverly but the FAC would want an even number, so would have to have someone come with Waverly (Unioto? Circleville?)*

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Here is a possible curve ball, I have heard rumors of NW possibly wanting to drop football, could it be possible for them to want to move up to ensure that they have a real reason to drop it due to not being able to compete

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Tartanblue asks a good question. I don't know the answer but it's something to ponder.

I don't understand why Wheelersburg wouldn't want OAk Hill on their schedule league wise if they already play them non-league. And, it's ok to have a few weeks where you can write whatever score you want --- rest kids and play the younger ones. You don't have to play 10 great teams during the regular season. Nor do I think you want to.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

art_vandelay wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:43 pm
Football fan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:20 pm Let’s not forget to take into consideration that Waverly is shopping around for another conference they have been very secretly for the last few years Western will not field a varsity team till 2019 it’s not a good idea to bring Manchester in to the SOC anyway Manchester’s Conference has 4 schools who have started back up their football programs over the last few yeas
We've heard the rumblings of Waverly looking elsewhere for awhile now...I gotta think the FAC makes sense for Waverly but the FAC would want an even number, so would have to have someone come with Waverly (Unioto? Circleville?)*
A uneven number in the FAC would make a 6 league schedule with four non-league. Doesn't sound too bad.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
KY.BUCKEYE
Freshman Team

Post by KY.BUCKEYE »

I say form a new league RH,0H,,Iront.,Burg,West,Ports.,Minf., Piketn,Chile,Waver and. Jackson.

G0 BuCKs
GoBucks1047
Varsity

Post by GoBucks1047 »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:17 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:43 pm
A uneven number in the FAC would make a 6 league schedule with four non-league. Doesn't sound too bad.
I could realistically see Circleville, Logan Elm, Teays Valley, Unioto, Zane Trace, Waverly, and Vinton County at least considered for the FAC. To the TVC posters, I don't think Vinton County would leave the TVC so let's get that out before everyone repeatedly tells me they'll never leave the TVC. As for the other 6 schools, I can see Teays Valley take the spot of McClain and the remaining 5 join McClain in a primarily D4 division with the other division being Primarily D2 and D3. The remaining 6 SVC schools (should Unioto and Zane Trace leave the SVC) could be a 3rd division of Primarily D5 and D6 should the FAC and SVC decide to merge into an 18 team league, but it wouldn't be entirely necessary.

As for if Waverly leaves the SOC, who should replace them? Portsmouth? Ironton? Piketon? Does Eastern and Western see an invite to the SVC should Unioto and Zane Trace leave, and who would replace the 2 Pike County schools should they leave the SOC?

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

Jeep-ster wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:56 am Uhm, i'm a history buff as well and this is a history I found online. Not say u r wrong. Just seems to be some conflicting info out there. I asked an ex basketball coach one time and he wasn't sure either. He even thought Webster might have been in another league at one time.

The Southern Ohio Conference

· The Southern Ohio Conference was established in 1946

· The original charter members of the league were Central Catholic HS (Notre Dame), Glenwood HS (New Boston), Portsmouth East HS, Washington Township HS (Portsmouth West), and Waverly HS
· Minford High School joined the league in 1947 for basketball only
· In 1948 Chesapeake joined league for track only, South Point joined for baseball and track only, and Minford began play in baseball
· Wheelersburg & Dawson Bryant (Coal Grove) joined the league in 1950
· In 1951 South Point withdrew from the league
· Coal Grove withdrew from the league in 1952
· Central Catholic HS became Notre Dame High School in 1952
· Chesapeake withdrew from the league in 1954
· Piketon entered the conference in 1959 and then left in 1962
· Minford withdrew from the league in 1958 only to rejoin the league the next year
· Lucasville Valley joined the conference in 1958
· In 1960 McDermott Northwest entered league play
· Waverly withdrew from the SOC after the 1969-70 season
· In 1979 Clay, Green, & South Webster joined the league and the SOC went to two divisions
· Eastern (Pike) entered the conference in 1981
· Ironton St. Joe joined the league in 1982 and withdrew in 1989
· In 1983 Waverly re-entered conference play
· Oak Hill & Symmes Valley both entered the league in 1991 (began play w/1992-93 season)
· Western (Pike) left the Southern Hills League and joined the SOC in 2002
· Portsmouth East becomes Sciotoville Community School (East Jr.-Sr.High School) in 2002
· SOC Division I: Clay, East (Sciotoville), Eastern (Pike), Glenwood/New Boston, Green, Notre Dame, Symmes Valley, & Western (Pike)
· SOC Division II: Minford, Northwest (DI football), Oak Hill (DI football), Portsmouth West, South Webster (DI soccer & golf)), Valley (DI soccer), Waverly, & Wheelersburg
This is good information. Thanks for sharing

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

Tartanblue wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:14 pm Here is a possible curve ball, I have heard rumors of NW possibly wanting to drop football, could it be possible for them to want to move up to ensure that they have a real reason to drop it due to not being able to compete
I've heard the same rumors this year. Could it really be a possibility?

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

KY.BUCKEYE wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:03 pm I say form a new league RH,0H,,Iront.,Burg,West,Ports.,Minf., Piketn,Chile,Waver and. Jackson.
Why would you make an 11 team league? That would put you into the same situation we are in now.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

KY.BUCKEYE wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:03 pm I say form a new league RH,0H,,Iront.,Burg,West,Ports.,Minf., Piketn,Chile,Waver and. Jackson.
Again.. that's a top heavy league.. what we want to get away from..

Return to “Football”