School District Oddities and Trivia

General Chat
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by Ironman92 »

Let’s go through a lot of the SE District schools and add stuff most on here probably don’t know.

Whiteoak ...a small D4 in Highland Co. It is the Bright Local School District

District is incredibly unique in that it is 43 miles wide, not very deep. Shaped like Tennessee but NE part ventures way north. The high school is only 4 miles from the western boundary. So crazy long bus rides and the NW portion of the district is closer or as close to 17 other high schools than Whiteoak. Hard to believe but Hillsboro, Lynchburg Clay, McClain, Washington, East Clinton, Miami Trace, Fairfield, Adena, Unioto, Chillicothe, Huntington Ross, Waverly, Piketon, Western, Peebles, West Union, North Adams are all closer or as close as Whiteoak High school is to those kids.

Won 8 consecutive sectionals from 2000-2007 including 1 Final 4 and 3 regional appearances.

Bordering school districts: Hillsboro, Greenfield, Lynchburg Clay, Eastern Brown, North Adams, Peebles and Western.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by Hoopie74 »

They have the potential to draw from a huge pool of players.JOINING school districts. I told this to several people through the years ,but; they didn't believe. Thanks for the validation.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hoopie74 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:55 pm They have the potential to draw from a huge pool of players.JOINING school districts. I told this to several people through the years ,but; they didn't believe. Thanks for the validation.
How did I validate anything?

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:37 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:55 pm They have the potential to draw from a huge pool of players.JOINING school districts. I told this to several people through the years ,but; they didn't believe. Thanks for the validation.
I've told people how large their district is area wise for years ,and I stated before that they could draw from a huge area for a D4 school. You stated the same thing that many didn't believe.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

The flip Side of that coin is Whiteoak probably loses kids in that NE corner to adjoining districts who simply don’t want to travel that far for school.

Great post and thread Ironman92. I will try and do something similar for South Webster if I can get my facts straight. But others from Webster might want to go ahead as we have several posters.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hoopie74 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:14 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:37 pm
I've told people how large their district is area wise for years ,and I stated before that they could draw from a huge area for a D4 school. You stated the same thing that many didn't believe.
Are you saying an advantage? It’s a very sparsely populated school district and with a nice portion of the district from the high school...those kids rarely play sports as it’s not handy to do much other than take the free transportation bus ride home. North to south the district is quite narrow...east to west its very long. I don’t see the positive for athletic participation.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:26 pm The flip Side of that coin is Whiteoak probably loses kids in that NE corner to adjoining districts who simply don’t want to travel that far for school.

Great post and thread Ironman92. I will try and do something similar for South Webster if I can get my facts straight. But others from Webster might want to go ahead as we have several posters.
That portion of the district sometimes goes to Greenfield McClain but for the most part a lot of those kids don’t play sports. Oddly we don’t lose many athletes but if anything we lose the most to Eastern Brown which is on the far opposite portion of district NEAR Whiteoak. Lose some to Hillsboro, North Adams and Lynchburg every so often....but nothing atypical with school districts. If anything we are getting some of these athletes back and things trending in the right direction athletically and educationally.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The Portsmouth City School District encompasses about 7 miles in length, and has 3 high schools, which is extremely rare in Ohio for a city of 20,000. Portsmouth HS, Portsmouth Notre Dame, and Portsmouth East (Sciotoville) are all within the city limits. I wonder if there is another city in Ohio with the population of Portsmouth that has 3 high schools.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

trojandave wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:39 pm The Portsmouth City School District encompasses about 7 miles in length, and has 3 high schools, which is extremely rare in Ohio for a city of 20,000. Portsmouth HS, Portsmouth Notre Dame, and Portsmouth East (Sciotoville) are all within the city limits. I wonder if there is another city in Ohio with the population of Portsmouth that has 3 high schools.
Never knew East was included within the Portsmouth limits.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Yeah, Sciotoville and North Moreland(just north of New Boston) are in the Portsmouth corporate limits. Yet Sciotoville has their own community school district and governance separate from the Portsmouth School District.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:33 pm
LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:26 pm The flip Side of that coin is Whiteoak probably loses kids in that NE corner to adjoining districts who simply don’t want to travel that far for school.

That portion of the district sometimes goes to Greenfield McClain but for the most part a lot of those kids don’t play sports. Oddly we don’t lose many athletes but if anything we lose the most to Eastern Brown which is on the far opposite portion of district NEAR Whiteoak. Lose some to Hillsboro, North Adams and Lynchburg every so often....but nothing atypical with school districts. If anything we are getting some of these athletes back and things trending in the right direction athletically and educationally.
I'm saying ,If Whiteoak- could draw from the surrounding schools regularly they could be great every year. Pretty good schools nearby.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

trojandave wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:39 pm The Portsmouth City School District encompasses about 7 miles in length, and has 3 high schools, which is extremely rare in Ohio for a city of 20,000. Portsmouth HS, Portsmouth Notre Dame, and Portsmouth East (Sciotoville) are all within the city limits. I wonder if there is another city in Ohio with the population of Portsmouth that has 3 high schools.
Wondering how Chillicothe compares to Portsmouth? Right off there is Huntington, Unioto, Chillicothe and maybe Adena in that area but don't know what ones might be in the city limits.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:22 pm
Wondering how Chillicothe compares to Portsmouth? Right off there is Huntington, Unioto, Chillicothe and maybe Adena in that area but don't know what ones might be in the city limits.
Only Chillicothe is in the city limits.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hoopie74 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:36 pm

I'm saying ,If Whiteoak- could draw from the surrounding schools regularly they could be great every year. Pretty good schools nearby.
Ok...I see. In my 20 years I’m not sure they’ve had a kid transfer in that has ever been all-league....or even close. Not sure I can name 5 kids in that time. Final 4 team was there all through elementary school. Even from 1998-2007 when Whiteoak was very good every year...kids weren’t transferring in.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:22 pm
Just Chillicothe but Unioto is closer to Chillicothe High School than East is to Portsmouth

Coach SLegg
Waterboy

Post by Coach SLegg »

I like these types of discussions...

Scioto Valley Local is Piketon. In mid 1950s Piketon and Scioto Township (Wakefield) consolidated. This was A-Plant boom. Scioto Valley ran dual sessions (7-12 & 12-5) for few years to accommodate influx of students. A gentleman who lived outside of Jasper said it used to take about 45 minutes to get from Jasper 32-104 Intersection to A-Plant entrance due to traffic and employees coming in from all directions. Scioto Valley is a huge school district in miles & has to be one of largest in southern Ohio. It spans from Pike-Scioto Co line to Walmart and Union Hill to Givens. This is approximately 30 miles by 15 miles.
Last edited by Coach SLegg on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here Comes the Streaks!
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Coach SLegg wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:09 pm I like these types of discussions...

Scioto Valley Local is Piketon. In mid 1950s Piketon and Scioto Township (Wakefield) consolidated. This was A-Plant boom. Scioto Valley ran dual sessions (7-12 & 12-5) for few years to accommodate influx of students. A gentleman who lived outside of Jasper said it used to take about 45 minutes to get from Jasper 32-104 Intersection to A-Plant entrance due to traffic and employees coming in from all directions. Scioto Valley is a huge school district in miles & has to be one of largest in southern Ohio. It spans from Pike-Scioto Co line to Walmart and Union Hill to Givens.
Only someone really old would even know this

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:54 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:36 pm

Ok...I see. In my 20 years I’m not sure they’ve had a kid transfer in that has ever been all-league....or even close. Not sure I can name 5 kids in that time. Final 4 team was there all through elementary school. Even from 1998-2007 when Whiteoak was very good every year...kids weren’t transferring in.
I have alot of friends and some in-laws from Whiteoak- and like to watch the wildcats.

Bobby k
Freshman Team

Post by Bobby k »

Piketon also has had four major sports win Regional Championships and compete in the state tournament. (Baseball 1985, Volleyball 1986, Boys Basketball 2009, Softball 2010). Although not near as many total appearances as other schools I wonder how many others schools have had Four or more different sports make it to state?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:56 pm Never knew East was included within the Portsmouth limits.
There is actually a small section of the Wheelersburg school district that has a Portsmouth address as well

Return to “The Off season”