General Chat
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:53 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:34 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:28 pm

Unioto has 5, Baseball (83, 94), Boys Basketball (91), Girls Basketball (87, 89, 95), Volleyball (88), Boys Soccer (04).
And at Unioto...XC is definitely a major sport. They’ve had some success
I think that they have won the Regional a couple of times. They may have won it in Boys Track in 2005 as well. I originally had it typed out, but I wasn't 100% on the years. Was going to check at the school tomorrow lol

Girls Cross Country - 2015 Regional Champions
Boys Cross Country - 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010 Regional Champions
Boys XC made state 13 of 14 straight years?

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Bobby k wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:13 pm Piketon also has had four major sports win Regional Championships and compete in the state tournament. (Baseball 1985, Volleyball 1986, Boys Basketball 2009, Softball 2010). Although not near as many total appearances as other schools I wonder how many others schools have had Four or more different sports make it to state?
Wheelersburg has had state championships in football, baseball, softball, and individual champions in track. Have completed at state level in boys basketball, girls basketball, cross country, tennis, and golf.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:08 am
danicalifornia wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:53 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:34 pm

And at Unioto...XC is definitely a major sport. They’ve had some success
I think that they have won the Regional a couple of times. They may have won it in Boys Track in 2005 as well. I originally had it typed out, but I wasn't 100% on the years. Was going to check at the school tomorrow lol

Girls Cross Country - 2015 Regional Champions
Boys Cross Country - 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010 Regional Champions
Boys XC made state 13 of 14 straight years?
14 of 15 at this point. Only 2016, which they would've made without some discipline to one of the top runners, which made me respect Coach Paxton even more.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Valley has competed in the State tournament in a lot of the "major team sports"

Baseball in 74 (I believe) and 75 (Won schools only state title)
Basketball (long time ago 1935 and 1936)
Football (2014)
Soccer (1998)
Softball (I believe 92 and 94)

Valley's original school colors were blue and gold but a set of basketball uniforms in the 1940's were ordered wrong and showed up purple and gold and the colors were changed.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:09 am Valley has competed in the State tournament in a lot of the "major team sports"

Baseball in 74 (I believe) and 75 (Won schools only state title)
Basketball (long time ago 1935 and 1936)
Football (2014)
Soccer (1998)
Softball (I believe 92 and 94)

Valley's original school colors were blue and gold but a set of basketball uniforms in the 1940's were ordered wrong and showed up purple and gold and the colors were changed.
Nice trivia piece

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

mlittle wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:19 pm
Coach SLegg wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:09 pm I like these types of discussions...

Scioto Valley Local is Piketon. In mid 1950s Piketon and Scioto Township (Wakefield) consolidated. This was A-Plant boom. Scioto Valley ran dual sessions (7-12 & 12-5) for few years to accommodate influx of students. A gentleman who lived outside of Jasper said it used to take about 45 minutes to get from Jasper 32-104 Intersection to A-Plant entrance due to traffic and employees coming in from all directions. Scioto Valley is a huge school district in miles & has to be one of largest in southern Ohio. It spans from Pike-Scioto Co line to Walmart and Union Hill to Givens.
Only someone really old would even know this
Hey, I resemble your remark. Anyone remember when Stockdale in Pike County had it's own high school? History and geography are important in understanding today's current events.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Omega wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:35 am
Coach SLegg wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:09 pm I like these types of discussions...

Scioto Valley Local is Piketon. In mid 1950s Piketon and Scioto Township (Wakefield) consolidated. This was A-Plant boom. Scioto Valley ran dual sessions (7-12 & 12-5) for few years to accommodate influx of students. A gentleman who lived outside of Jasper said it used to take about 45 minutes to get from Jasper 32-104 Intersection to A-Plant entrance due to traffic and employees coming in from all directions. Scioto Valley is a huge school district in miles & has to be one of largest in southern Ohio. It spans from Pike-Scioto Co line to Walmart and Union Hill to Givens.
Hey, I resemble your remark. Anyone remember when Stockdale in Pike County had it's own high school? History and geography are important in understanding today's current events.
I spent some of my student teaching time at Stockdale...didn’t Branch Rickey get started right there?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:08 am South Webster HS covers the Bloom-Vernon School District.

It borders Wheelersburg, Sciotoville (East), Minford, Oak Hill, Rock Hill and Green.

South Webster HS was built in 1988 and was one of the very first new schools built with help from the State of Ohio and luckily before The School Facilty Commission started dictating to schools what they could and couldn’t do with respect to gym sizes and bleacher sizes etc...

When you enter the school you will notice the floors and building do not look 30 years old. It was built and designed well and has been very well managed.

South Webster is located approximately 10.5 miles from the Ohio River and covers the northeast corner of Scioto County. State Route 140 which runs from 52 (at the Ohio River) to 93 (2-3 miles southeast of Oak Hill) is the main artery to South Webster.

South Webster’s mascot is The Jeep from Popeye and is Red (not yellow like in the cartoon) and our school colors are Red and White and Black. There is 1 other school in The United States who also uses the Jeep as their mascot and it’s located in Illinois.

Good info Lucas, but only one minor change I can see --- the other school with a Jeeps mascot is actually in Indiana. The school is called Northeast Dubois High School, located in Dubois, Indiana.

The only other relevant information I would add is that a lot of people don't know about the Vernon region of South Webster's schools. Vernon was another high school which consolidated into South Webster some 30-40 years ago (I can't recall the exact date) and makes up a good portion of the student population at South Webster. Vernon, or "Laury" as the folks out there call it, is a more rural area. I would love to know the exact mileage of South Webster's entire school district as I would imagine it's fairly large with all the hills / hollers / and farmlands.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:40 am
LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:08 am South Webster HS covers the Bloom-Vernon School District.

It borders Wheelersburg, Sciotoville (East), Minford, Oak Hill, Rock Hill and Green.

South Webster HS was built in 1988 and was one of the very first new schools built with help from the State of Ohio and luckily before The School Facilty Commission started dictating to schools what they could and couldn’t do with respect to gym sizes and bleacher sizes etc...

When you enter the school you will notice the floors and building do not look 30 years old. It was built and designed well and has been very well managed.

South Webster is located approximately 10.5 miles from the Ohio River and covers the northeast corner of Scioto County. State Route 140 which runs from 52 (at the Ohio River) to 93 (2-3 miles southeast of Oak Hill) is the main artery to South Webster.

South Webster’s mascot is The Jeep from Popeye and is Red (not yellow like in the cartoon) and our school colors are Red and White and Black. There is 1 other school in The United States who also uses the Jeep as their mascot and it’s located in Illinois.

Good info Lucas, but only one minor change I can see --- the other school with a Jeeps mascot is actually in Indiana. The school is called Northeast Dubois High School, located in Dubois, Indiana.

The only other relevant information I would add is that a lot of people don't know about the Vernon region of South Webster's schools. Vernon was another high school which consolidated into South Webster some 30-40 years ago (I can't recall the exact date) and makes up a good portion of the student population at South Webster. Vernon, or "Laury" as the folks out there call it, is a more rural area. I would love to know the exact mileage of South Webster's entire school district as I would imagine it's fairly large with all the hills / hollers / and farmlands.
http://education.ohio.gov/getattachment ... E.XLS.aspx

South Webster 84 square miles, Whiteoak 120, Fed Hock over 200, OH 160

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 am

Hey! I know it isn't in our district, but I taught at the largest city school district in the state, Wilmington (161 sq. miles), which I can't believe is bigger than SW City schools in Columbus.

Miami Trace is 401?! Westfall is 200 (thought it was bigger TBH)

Westfall consolidated in 1966. It was 5 different schools, Derby, Williamsport, Monroe, Jackson, and Deer Creek. You can pretty much drive in random parts of the school district and find where they schools are were, as they were all used as elementaries until the early 2000's when the centralized Elementary was built off of SR56.

Westfall shares a border with several other school districts: Adena, Circleville, Madison Plains, Miami Trace, Southwestern City (Grove City, Central Crossing, Westland), Teays Valley, and Unioto.
They have reached the Final Four in 3 different "major" sports, Football (2007), Softball (Champs, 2014), Volleyball (04, 05, 06)
Last edited by danicalifornia on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:09 am

Hey! I know it isn't in our district, but I taught at the largest city school district in the state, Wilmington (161 sq. miles), which I can't believe is bigger than SW City schools in Columbus.

Not labeled but you can see how MT is so big

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... g7A9fUHzVM:

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:19 am

I spent some of my student teaching time at Stockdale...didn’t Branch Rickey get started right there?
You are correct on Branch Rickey. By the way, I cannot remember the mascot name for Stockdale, can you fill me in.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:16 am
danicalifornia wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:09 am

Not labeled but you can see how MT is so big

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... g7A9fUHzVM:
So from what I gather, Fayette County is about 425 square miles lol

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

I think it was early 70' s Hannan Trace, Kyger Creek, North Gallia and Southwestern school districts consolidated to form the Gallia County Local School District. From this consolidation through the 91-92 school year these 4 high schools remained open. Beginning with the 92-93 school year the 4 high schools consolidated to form River Valley High School (in the former KC building). After 4--5 years??? South Gallia opened in the former HT building.
382 square miles
Bordering districts Gallipolis City, Fairland, Symmes Valley, Oak Hill, Vinton County, Meigs, (not sure if the district borders Wellston at any point or not)
2 high schools River Valley, South Gallia

EagleEye3
Riding the Bench

Post by EagleEye3 »

Omega wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:41 am

You are correct on Branch Rickey. By the way, I cannot remember the mascot name for Stockdale, can you fill me in.

The Stockdale Bulldogs

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth High School has 17 Final 4 appearances in basketball (11), football (2), and baseball (4). In addition, PHS has had a number of track athletes make the state, including 2017 defending state champion Lynsey Shipley, who won the 400 meters. Dick Klitch won the individual singles title in tennis in 1951. The Trojans also have 4 state appearances in basketball in 1925, 1926, 1939, and 1941 that were not Final 4 appearances but considered state appearances because of the format that the OHSAA had in place at that time.

Portsmouth's 15 appearances in the boys basketball state tournament rank 3rd all time out of 800 high schools in Ohio. Portsmouth won the big school (Class AA) state title in 1931 and 1961. Lancaster was the Class AAA state track title in 1980 as a SE district school, and I believe is the only other school in the SE district to have ever won a big school state title. LHS is now a member of the Central District.

Portsmouth High School's athletic classification has been Class AAA, Class AA, Division 2, and Division 3 in basketball, while in football, the Trojans have been Class AA (only 3 classes in 1984), Division 3 (2000 AP Poll Champions and Final 4), Division 4, and now Division 5. In baseball, PHS has been Class AAA (Regional Final in 1975--my senior year, losing to Lima Senior 8-7), Class AA (1980 State Runnerup--lost to Cleveland Holy Name 4-3), Division 2, and now is Division 3.

There's probably not a school in the entire SE district that has gone through more athletic classifications than Portsmouth HS.

Also, the Portsmouth City School district does operate Portsmouth East Elementary, located on Harding Ave in Sciotoville.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

EagleEye3 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:56 am

The Stockdale Bulldogs
When I was at Beaver elem. all our pee wee practices were held in that old Stockdale gym. That floor was slick as a booger and add to that a pair of $12 yard sale shoes it made for some interesting practices!!

EagleEye3
Riding the Bench

Post by EagleEye3 »

mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:13 pm
EagleEye3 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:56 am

The Stockdale Bulldogs
When I was at Beaver elem. all our pee wee practices were held in that old Stockdale gym. That floor was slick as a booger and add to that a pair of $12 yard sale shoes it made for some interesting practices!!

That gym floor was slick, the old school tile used for a gym floor was not a good idea. It made you tougher, as many times as you would fall in a practice lol

golfis4me
Riding the Bench

Post by golfis4me »

The South Point school district is 28 square miles. The eastern boundary is the Lawrence County airport (about 100 feet from Chesapeake HS). The terminus of Co Rd. 1 at US 52 is the western boundary. The most northern point of the district is the Sunrise church where Buffalo and Lick Creek meet. It operates 1 high school, 1 middle school and 2 elementary schools (SP elem. and Burlington elem.). The only adjacent districts are Coal Grove and Chesapeake.

From what I can tell, SP has never won a team state championship. Boys track finished state runner-up as a team in 1989 (won the 4x100, 2nd in 4x400, 2nd in 100m). Boys basketball was a regional runner-up in 1990. Wrestling team was a regional runner-up in 1982. Girls track was a regional champ in 1978. The softball team was a state semifinalist the same year.

Not sure how many individual/relay track state champs SP has had but its well in the double digits.Theresa Sherman still holds the D2 state record in the discus throw which has stood since 1989, the longest standing record by far. She was a 3 time state champ. South Point has also produced 2 Wendy's HS Heisman Award Winners, Dean Fulks and Kathie Massie.

Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Post by Jeep-ster »

Actually East does not have a district any longer. Kids who live in Sciotoville and surrounding areas are in Portsmouth City. Some kids who live in Vernon township would go all the way to PHS is attended by district. Makes no sense, I know but true.

Return to “The Off season”