School District Oddities and Trivia

General Chat
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by Raider6309 »

Right past Pepsi and that giant engineering company on east state street is actually in Federal Hocking schools. It’s in the city of Athens.

Once an Oak
Waterboy

Post by Once an Oak »

Murray City had their own school. My old friend Larry Smith was a star there in the 1950s.

Once an Oak
Waterboy

Post by Once an Oak »

Or so he says.

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

one Oak wrote: ↑Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:21 pm
In addition to Vinton County and Symmes Valley the Oak Hill district also borders Jackson, Wellston, Gallia County, Rock Hill, Bloom-Vernon (South Webster), and Minford.
Ironman 92 wrote:Where do they border VC? End of one of those roads between 327/35?
The extreme northeastern corner of Bloomfield Township touches the southwest corner of Vinton County at that point. The Wellston and Gallia County districts also touch at that point. It's kind of like the four corners area out west, although in this case you can stand in four school districts at the same time. The land, at least on the Jackson County side is uninhabited Scioto Land Company property with no public roads.

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

Here's a link to a map of school districts in Ohio, but it must be somewhat outdated. I noticed that it doesn't show the Manchester district after they left the Ohio Valley district.
http://webapp2.ode.state.oh.us/legislat ... dist_e.pdf

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

one Oak wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:41 pm Here's a link to a map of school districts in Ohio, but it must be somewhat outdated. I noticed that it doesn't show the Manchester district after they left the Ohio Valley district.
Thanks!

It does have West Clermont, which is new this year, so that's strange about Manchester.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

one Oak wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:38 pm
one Oak wrote: ↑Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:21 pm
In addition to Vinton County and Symmes Valley the Oak Hill district also borders Jackson, Wellston, Gallia County, Rock Hill, Bloom-Vernon (South Webster), and Minford.
Ironman 92 wrote:Where do they border VC? End of one of those roads between 327/35?
The extreme northeastern corner of Bloomfield Township touches the southwest corner of Vinton County at that point. The Wellston and Gallia County districts also touch at that point. It's kind of like the four corners area out west, although in this case you can stand in four school districts at the same time. The land, at least on the Jackson County side is uninhabited Scioto Land Company property with no public roads.
Yeah, I knew the area just wasn’t sure all 4 ofthose toiched right there. No man’s land for sure

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

one Oak wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:41 pm Here's a link to a map of school districts in Ohio, but it must be somewhat outdated. I noticed that it doesn't show the Manchester district after they left the Ohio Valley district.
Yeah, good map. Notice Bright Local in southern Highland county....where it actually says “Bright Local”....the high school is located left of the “B”....if you added 2 more capital “B’s”....the high school would be where the first B would be placed then notice how it goes up on the NE end.

Is there any other high school that far from the center of the district?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:08 pm
Yeah, good map. Notice Bright Local in southern Highland county....where it actually says “Bright Local”....the high school is located left of the “B”....if you added 2 more capital “B’s”....the high school would be where the first B would be placed then notice how it goes up on the NE end.

That's really ridiculous. Is there not a place more centralized that they could have placed it?

Amanda Clearcreek isn't nearly as big, but their school is at the bottom of their district, in Amanda, but still not close to being centralized either.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:35 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:08 pm

That's really ridiculous. Is there not a place more centralized that they could have placed it?

Amanda Clearcreek isn't nearly as big, but their school is at the bottom of their district, in Amanda, but still not close to being centralized either.
I believe it was voted down in 98 or 99. They built a new elementary in 2000-2001 and it’s towards the center. The old district had Belfast as a K-12 until I think the early 70’s...that entire side ranges from 18-35 miles from the high school on old county/township roads.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

formerfcfan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:45 pm
Monroe County is very close to being in the company of Hocking and Vinton as being the only singular district counties, but a very small and sparsely populated portion of the district is Shenandoah.
Monroe County has one school district, but three high schools - Monroe Central, River, and Beallsville.

Shenandoah is in Noble County (along with Caldwell).

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:08 am
formerfcfan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:57 pm Unsure about CH, but didn’t Murray City have their own school?
Not greatly sure. My grandfather was quite the athlete and grew up in Carbon Hill area...not even sure what school he attended
Carbon Hill might have had their own high school. Thought I heard they were a member of the old county league.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
gamewatcher
Waterboy

Post by gamewatcher »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:38 pm Someone do Vinton Co and Logan-Hocking....are those the only two counties in Ohio with just 1 school district?....and they border one another, gotta be some interesting stuff there
Students living in Hocking County can actually go to 1 of 3 districts. The western part of Hocking county kids go to Logan Elm (Laurelville area)

Also part of Hocking county are Carbon Hill and Murray City in the eastern part of the county, those living there go to Nelsonville-York.

The remainder I think all go to Logan.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Omega wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:35 am
mlittle wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:19 pm
Coach SLegg wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:09 pm I like these types of discussions...

Scioto Valley Local is Piketon. In mid 1950s Piketon and Scioto Township (Wakefield) consolidated. This was A-Plant boom. Scioto Valley ran dual sessions (7-12 & 12-5) for few years to accommodate influx of students. A gentleman who lived outside of Jasper said it used to take about 45 minutes to get from Jasper 32-104 Intersection to A-Plant entrance due to traffic and employees coming in from all directions. Scioto Valley is a huge school district in miles & has to be one of largest in southern Ohio. It spans from Pike-Scioto Co line to Walmart and Union Hill to Givens.
Only someone really old would even know this
Hey, I resemble your remark. Anyone remember when Stockdale in Pike County had it's own high school? History and geography are important in understanding today's current events.
MY aunt taught school there. She lives next to the school

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

There is only 1 school district in the state that is bigger than Northwest. There is 616 square miles is Scioto county and Northwest and Portsmouth West takes up almost 300 square miles of that.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

BigBlueNation wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:21 pm There is only 1 school district in the state that is bigger than Northwest. There is 616 square miles is Scioto county and Northwest and Portsmouth West takes up almost 300 square miles of that.
Northwest covers 184 square miles

Just within the SEO Preps area, the following schools cover more:
Logan Elm 198
Meigs 199
Westfall 200
Federal Hocking 207
Tri Valley 230
Madison Plains 248
Morgan 387
Miami Trace 401

There are also at least a handful more across the state that are bigger. Northwest is huge though.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:05 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:21 pm There is only 1 school district in the state that is bigger than Northwest. There is 616 square miles is Scioto county and Northwest and Portsmouth West takes up almost 300 square miles of that.
Northwest covers 184 square miles

Just within the SEO Preps area, the following schools cover more:
Logan Elm 198
Meigs 199
Westfall 200
Federal Hocking 207
Tri Valley 230
Madison Plains 248
Morgan 387
Miami Trace 401

There are also at least a handful more across the state that are bigger. Northwest is huge though.
Thanks. I was told by a school board member that there was only 1.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

New Boston Glenwood is the smallest public high school in the Southeast District with a male enrollment of 39. The New Boston School District covers 1.14 square miles bordering Portsmouth.

TOESTUBBER01
Riding the Bench

Post by TOESTUBBER01 »

Warren Local has 196 square miles but there is really no towns in it. There is not one stop light in the school district, although there is one flashing light.

Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Post by Jeep-ster »

Another thing about Bloom-Vernon LSD. Up until a certain time about half of Vernon Township residents had the option of going to Webster or Wheelersburg High Schools. Then a vote took place and the residents voted to go with Webster Schools. I do not know when this vote happened.

Also, before the new high school was completed, the official name of Webster's high school was Bloom High School. I was the last graduating class from there in 87. Then it was changed to South Webster High School. I remember this well because I wanted South Webster put on my class ring. The company didn't want to and so it said Bloom. I lost that one and got a replacement on which I insisted it say South Webster :). I later found the first one so I have 2. One with Bloom & one with South Webster. can't wear em but I have em :)

Return to “The Off season”