The Tourney at Meigs

celticpride
Freshman Team

Re: The Tourney at Meigs

Post by celticpride »

Southern non-league schedule: Beat D3 River Valley and Meigs on the road, lost to D3 Nelsonville at Nelsonville around same time Trimble did. Beat WV class AA Point Pleasant, might be D2 if they were in Ohio, and Lost to Ravenswood, currently ranked #2 in class A WV, but would be considered a D3 team in Ohio. No advantage for Trimble there. Also, Southern is 9-3 in the league, Trimble is 8-2. When Trimble gets to 10-2, and they should, then they will be one game ahead of Southern. Definitely not a done deal either way for Trimble. See how this week plays out. Trimble at Miller Friday should be difference maker.

a-town
Waterboy

Post by a-town »

I know this is off topic, but related since Eastern hasn't been to the convo since he left.

Went to the UD Women's game earlier this year to watch the burdette girl and I saw Eastern's former coach Corey Britton there. Don't think he remembered me, but I spoke to him briefly. He said he has been the head coach at Fort Loramie High School in SW Ohio about 45 minutes north of Dayton. I knew his team was good last year made it to the regional, but I was not sure how good they were this year. They are 18-1 and have been in the top 5 in the state poll all season. Good to see him doing well, I thought he did a nice job at eastern for his short stint.

Deez Nutz
Waterboy

Post by Deez Nutz »

a-town wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:36 pm I know this is off topic, but related since Eastern hasn't been to the convo since he left.

Went to the UD Women's game earlier this year to watch the burdette girl and I saw Eastern's former coach Corey Britton there. Don't think he remembered me, but I spoke to him briefly. He said he has been the head coach at Fort Loramie High School in SW Ohio about 45 minutes north of Dayton. I knew his team was good last year made it to the regional, but I was not sure how good they were this year. They are 18-1 and have been in the top 5 in the state poll all season. Good to see him doing well, I thought he did a nice job at eastern for his short stint.
Yea you are correct that has nothing to do with the topic. :mrgreen:

“Do you want to see bofa?” :mrgreen:
itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

1 - 4 will all win the sectional if the win one game

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Trimble improved to (8-1) in its last 9 games after beating South Gallia Monday.

1/9 at Fed Hock 57-48 W
1/19 Eastern 69-55 W
1/20 Nelsonville 53-40 W
1/23 at Southern 75-65 L
1/26 at Belpre 58-44 W
1/27 Crooksville 72-57 W
1/30 Wahama 54-37 W
2/3 Wellston 57-45 W
2/5 at South Gallia 63-58 W

Currently have a 1/2 game lead in the Hocking Division

Trimble (12-4),(9-2)
Southern (12-5),(9-3)
Waterford (9-6),(9-3)
Miller (11-6),(9-4)
Belpre (8-9),(7-4)
South Gallia (6-12),(4-8)
Eastern (6-10),(2-9)
Wahama (3-13),(2-9)
Federal Hocking (2-14),(2-10)

Huge game Trimble at Miller on Friday
Miller has to go to Belpre Tuesday night, not a very easy place to win.

Southern has the easiest home stretch
2/9 Eastern
2/10 Belpre
2/13 at Belpre
2/16 Wahama

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Will both fri and sat games this week be counted towards seedings?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

TVC wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:35 pm Will both fri and sat games this week be counted towards seedings?
Well, they should!

But this online voting thing, some coaches just fill them out before Sat games. They are due Sunday morning I believe.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Here is a list of each teams games this week as well as record leading upto tournament seeding:

Trimble: (12-4)
2/6 Federal Hocking
2/9 @ Miller
2/10 @ Chesapeake

Southern: (12-5)
2/9 Eastern
2/10 Belpre

Waterford: (9-6)
2/6 South Gallia
2/8 Wahama
2/10 @ Warren

Miller: (11-6)
2/6 @ Belpre
2/9 Trimble

Symmes Valley: (8-8)
(can't find it on school website)

Belpre: (8-9)
2/6 Miller
2/9 @ South Gallia
2/10 @ Southern

South Webster: (7-10)
2/6 @ Green
2/9 Oak Hill

South Gallia: (6-12)
2/6 @ Waterford
2/9 Belpre

Eastern: (6-10)
2/6 Wahama
2/9 @ Southern
2/10 Meigs

Federal Hocking: (2-14)
2/6 @ Trimble
2/9 @ Wahama
2/10 @ Athens

The question I see here is - assume South Webster loses both games this week and South Gallia and Eastern both win at least 1 - they have the same amount of wins as South Webster in that scenario. Do they vote themselves ahead of South Webster and slide South Webster to the #9 seed? That seems unlikely, and the #8 seed is no different than the #9 seed in the fact that the 8/9 still play each other and the winner faces the 1.

I still think South Webster is the #6 seed, but I'm not sure if they'll get that seed.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Assuming the other sectional goes like this:

1.) Coal Grove
2.) Peebles
3.) New Boston
4.) Ironton St. Joe

and assuming they all get out.....

The 4/5 game should be one that teams don't want in an effort to avoid Coal Grove.. the 2 seed coming out of Meigs would also have to face Coal Grove in the district final (assuming they make it that far).

So the 7 seed may actually hold less value than the 8-9 seed.. the 8-9 seed does draw you the 1 seed if you win (but I don't see a single team in the Meigs sectional that is above and beyond better than the other teams) AND it allows you to face the NW 4 seed at the Convo AND if you stay hot and reach the district final you avoid Coal Grove. Perhaps it's better for the 6-9 seeds at Meigs to try to angle for the 8 or 9 seeds for these reasons.

So teams at the top should be fighting for the 1 and the 3 seeds, teams near the bottom should be fighting for the 6, 8, 9 seeds.

Nonetheless, when it's all said and done you still have to win games so this is all speculative and nothing else.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

TVC wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:35 pm Will both fri and sat games this week be counted towards seedings?
I agree !! But I know in the girls, some of last Thursday game never counted

Bastogne
Freshman Team

Post by Bastogne »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:44 pm
Well, they should!

But this online voting thing, some coaches just fill them out before Sat games. They are due Sunday morning I believe.
Voting due by Friday at midnight.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Cool. Thanks.

Just another reason online voting sucks!

celticpride
Freshman Team

Post by celticpride »

It sounds like it's really too bad that the voting went online. It used to be that those Saturday night games before the Sunday draw were big games that helped decide seeding. I hope the coaches wait and see what happens in the Friday night games before voting since they have until midnight to make their decisions. In this case it would be an easier decision. Trimble beats Miller at Miller, even though they have benefited from not having to play Waterford yet, they are probably #1. Miller beats Trimble and Southern beats Eastern, then Southern is probably #1.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I can almost guarantee some coaches will fill out their online form before Friday games.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:49 am I can almost guarantee some coaches will fill out their online form before Friday games.
I can attest to this. But, last year we also checked scores after our Friday game to see if any adjustments needed to be made. Hopefully, the other coaches that fill it out early also do that.

I'll never understand why they can't be due at noon on Saturday or Midnight on Saturday/Sunday. But, it is what it is.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:04 am
93Bulldog wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:49 am I can almost guarantee some coaches will fill out their online form before Friday games.
I can attest to this. But, last year we also checked scores after our Friday game to see if any adjustments needed to be made. Hopefully, the other coaches that fill it out early also do that.

I'll never understand why they can't be due at noon on Saturday or Midnight on Saturday/Sunday. But, it is what it is.
Because from Midnight Friday to Noon on Saturday is CLEARLY when the votes are counted. You know, it's automated now by a computer so they need ATLEAST 48 hours to compute the rankings.

:roll: :lol:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

It would take 30 min, tops, in a room in Jackson - and be done face to face. If you're gonna screw somebody, you should have to at least be in front of them when you do.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Team bios are due at midnight wed, so they won't even include Fridays games.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Unless teams like south Webster look at trivalleyconference.com, all the info they are looking at is the team bios submitted by each coach.

Definitely an odd system.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:24 am Unless teams like south Webster look at trivalleyconference.com, all the info they are looking at is the team bios submitted by each coach.

Definitely an odd system.
And unless a coach does some fact checking, the team bio might not even be correct. I saw one last year where a D2 Coach gave his team less credit than they deserved and it resulted in a lower seed.

Return to “Boys Basketball”