Pfloyd's Official "Un-official" Napkin Stats for the Piketon Tip Off

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Official "Un-official" Napkin Stats for the Piketon Tip Off

Post by pfloyd »

... the committee of one - me - made the trek to the Oven to take in the 3 varsity boys Piketon Tip-Off Classic games Saturday ... 3 excellent games to get the inaugural hoops invitational off the ground ! had it not been on the same day/night as the OSU football game the crowds would have been bigger but that's out of the control of everyone - I for one totally enjoyed the afternoon/evening/night contests ... before I post the napkin stats on the games I just wanted to thank the seops posters who stopped over to the visitors' side and introduced themselves to old pfloyd - smurray, uk - a pleasure to meet you guys! the Portsmouth contingent - trojandave/biggdowgg always great to run into you ! really miss the matchups between the Chiefs and the Trojans even if your PHS boys always beat us home or away ... peake71 ! glad you made the trip buddy we'll see you at the Beasts of the Southeast ... daniC ! great spending a couple of games at the Zane Trace Tip Off with you and then the 3 games at Piketon ... Coach SLegg ! thanks for coming up in the cheap seats to chat Piketon Hoops ! and Coach ELegg - when I said hello courtside & YOU were carrying chairs ? get one your 15 assistants to do that ! LOL ... Coach Collins of Portsmouth - as always a pleasure to shake your hand and wish the Trojans well - you do such a great job with those young men - pfloyd is proud to have made your acquaintance over the years (and yep old pfloyd was at New Boston in the 70's when NB HAD not just good basketball but outstanding basketball as you pointed out when we talked yesterday) ... Coach Cozart (Athens Head Coach) - thanks for taking a few minutes to chat before your big game with Waverly (you put the Gallia loss into perspective for me - your Bulldogs will be just fine under your teaching/coaching as the season moves forward) ... seops posters ! one of the reasons I travel Southeastern Ohio to watch hoops IS meeting up with YOU - the fans of SEOhio basketball ! ... make sure you introduce yourself - I totally enjoy putting seops names & faces together AND talking some hoops ... had the pleasure to sit with the grandparents/parents of Matt Fraulini of the Trojans in the first game - great peoples, very proud of Matthew & their Trojans ... ran into Coach Davis's (Chesapeake head coach) parents after the Peake vs Piketon game ... great people, have known them from attending the Beasts of the Southeast in early January over the last 4-5 years ... Mr. Cochenour (son Hunter Cochenour an outstanding player for Eastern Pike) always good to talk about your Eastern Eagles & Hunter! see you Dec. 11th for that Eastern Pike vs Green match-up ! ... if you can't tell I totally enjoy doing what I do during basketball season ... the basketball games, the teams, the players, the coaches, the fans & those of you on seops - when you travel and meet the people it makes The Games that much more special imo ... if you see an old, bald, white bearded guy in shorts feverishly keeping napkin stats during games it's no doubt pfloyd - say hello ! ...

Game 1 :

Portsmouth 61
Southeastern 52 ... a final

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Southeastern

Scoring ... Lane Ruby 17, Aaron Gillum 9, Aarick Hill 9, Reece Wheeler 8, Noah Dresbach 5, Luke Cocoran 2, Aiden Estep 2
3 Pointers ... 6/21 ... Aaron Gillum 3, Lane Ruby 2, Noah Dresbach 1
FTs ......... 6/10
TO's ....... 15
PnP ... 11 fg/22 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fg/4 points in transition

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Portsmouth

Scoring ... Matthew Fraulini 22, Daniel Latimore 20, Miles Shipp 12, MyQuel McKinley 6, Amare Johnson 1
3 Pointers ... 4/17 ... Matthew Fraulini 3, Daniel Latimore 1
FTs ............ 7/11
TOs ........... 13
PnP ....... 19fg/38 points in the paint
PnT ....... 4 fg/8 points in transition

... IMO's - PHS has a whole lot of speed and quickness at every position - as advertised on seops ... right now the Trojans have 2 quality scorers in Fraulini & Latimore ... it will be interesting to watch the box scores as the season progresses to see how teams will force Latimore to go to his right and take away the drives to his strong left side - no matter, the young man is a player ... I look for Coach Collins to develop the offense to get both Shipp and McKinley involved more in the half court offense as BOTH work hard for position inside, both when they get the ball on set plays (so far on inbounds plays) where they are squared up the bucket, they BOTH score the ball - very solid ... in the near future add both Shipp & McKinley to the PHS scoring train ... good ball club ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game 2 :

Waverly 60
Athens 54 ... a final

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Athens

Scoring
... Justin Hynes 20, Logan Maxfield 16, Isaiah Butcher 7, Brayden Whiting 6, Brayden Markins 2, Elijah Williams 2, Eli Chubb 1
3 Pointers ... 2/9 ... Isaiah Butcher 1, Brayden Whiting 1
FTs ...... 10/17
TOs ..... 32
PnP ..... 19 fgs/38 points in the paint
PnT ..... 3 fgs/6 points in transition

... the Bulldogs of Coach Cozart are strong, physical, play that tough matchup/trapping zone on the perimeter - with 6-4, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 , 6-0 at the point - very difficult to get the shots you want offensively ... the offensive strength of AHS is in the paint with Hynes & should be Chubb /Butcher as well ... I didn't see a perimeter scoring game for the dawgs ... going to need to develop a perimeter game to get looks inside for anyone of the 6-4 bodies on this squad ... 2 tough matchups for Athens in the first weekend of play losing to Gallia Academy at home (shooting only 26% from the field) ... 32 TOs last night/17 on Friday night vs GAHS ... 49 TOs in 2 games I see a good starting point for practice on Monday ...

...Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Waverly

Scoring ... Trey Robertson 14, Cody Remington 13, Ethan Dunn 10, Easton Wolfe 7, Cobe Marquez 7, Tanner Smallwood 6, Payton Shoemaker 3
3 Pointers ... 4/19 ... Trey Robertson 4
FTs ......... 14/23
TOs ........ 22
PnP ....... 17 fgs/34 points in the paint
PnT ...... 5 fg/10 points in transition

... Coach Robertson's Tigers ARE the quickest TEAM (everyone on the floor at any given time) that you will see anywhere - wow! I thought they were quick last year , they are QUICKER this year with the addition of freshmen Trey Robertson ... forced Athens into 32 TOs on the game - you will win a lot of games when you keep your opponent from putting the ball up on their offensive end - 32 times a game ... I can see with some opponents on the Waverly schedule that the game is going to be played predominantly on the Tiger side of the floor ! teams will have that much trouble get the ball up the floor ... when you look at the scorebook as to who to guard ? try everybody who gets on the floor - all but one player scored last night for the Tigers of those who entered the game (and the one who didn't played the last 10 seconds of the 3rd qtr... Waverly is the real deal, defense, scorers inside/outside, quickness at both ends and an outstanding perimeter shooter in Trey Robertson who has limitless range ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game 3 :

Piketon 61
Chesapeake 62 ... a final

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Piketon

Scoring ... Alex Blanton 25, Jacob Matthews 12, Scott Lightle 6, Blake Reader 5, Tyree Harris 4, Chris Chandler 3, Logan Nichols 2
3 Pointers ... 4/9 ... Alex Blanton 3, Chris Chandler 1
FTs ........ 5/12
TOs ....... 28
PnP ..... 21 fgs/42 points in the paint
PnT ... 4 fg/ 8 points in transition

.. Piketon is a team in transition ... trying to find the go to guy/guys - Alex Blanton IS one (25 points) ... the goal now is to find 2 more consistent double digit scorers night in night out ... the good thing is those players ARE out there for Coach Legg & Co. ... I see 3 or 4 players who can be around 8-10 point per game players for PHS ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Chesapeake

Scoring ... Eli Archer 22, Travis Grim 8, Logan Walsh 6, Nathan Cox 6, Tylan Hutchinson 6, Levi Blankenship 5, Austin Jackson 4, Trent Dearth 4
3 Pointers ... 2/17 ... Logan Walsh 1, Levi Blankenship 1
FTs ......... 10/14
TOs ....... 21
PnP ...... 21 fg/42 points in the paint
PnT ..... 3 fgs/6 points in transition

Chesapeake had the biggest "W" on the night knocking off the home standing Piketon squad .... the Panthers were down by 10 with 6:49 to play (40-50) outscoring the Red Streaks 16-6 before tying the game at 56-56 with a little over a minute to play ... Eli Archer is THE rock on both ends but especially in the paint offensively - solid ball player ... then you get solid, scoring numbers from EVERYONE - 8 players scored, all multiple baskets (4-8 points) ... this one was big for CHS as they have struggled to find the pieces to work together as a TEAM - now with this win it looks like Panther Hoops has turned the corner ... starting 2 juniors and 3 sophs and a quality freshman off the bench ... things are looking up at the Peake ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Official "Un-official Napkin Stats for the Piketon Tip Off

Post by Ironman92 »

Solid rundown

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

thats a lot of turnovers lol

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

It was a pleasure to meet you pfloyd. Glad our Tigers didnt disappoint - nice rundown. Hope to see you at the Waverly Holiday Classic after Christmas.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

smurray wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:06 pm It was a pleasure to meet you pfloyd. Glad our Tigers didnt disappoint - nice rundown. Hope to see you at the Waverly Holiday Classic after Christmas.
... I'll be there for the 2nd night smurray - my Logan Purple entertain Gallia Academy on the 28th ...

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:15 pm
smurray wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:06 pm It was a pleasure to meet you pfloyd. Glad our Tigers didnt disappoint - nice rundown. Hope to see you at the Waverly Holiday Classic after Christmas.
... I'll be there for the 2nd night smurray - my Logan Purple entertain Gallia Academy on the 28th ...
Hopefully my Tigers take care of business night one and are playing for the Title 2nd night...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

smurray wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:38 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:15 pm
Hopefully my Tigers take care of business night one and are playing for the Title 2nd night...
... Eastern Pike, Western Pike, Piketon, Waverly ... doesn't get much better than that for a 2 night tourney no matter how you mix the teams LOL ...

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

pfloyd, glad you enjoyed your trip to The Oven. My only disagreement with your assessment is that the defensive pressure of Chesapeake, in my opinion, is more than what Waverly applies. Chesapeake had 7 guards rotating in/out, all lightning quick with hands to match. Their games with Portsmouth will be real track meets!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mikepike wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:13 pm pfloyd, glad you enjoyed your trip to The Oven. My only disagreement with your assessment is that the defensive pressure of Chesapeake, in my opinion, is more than what Waverly applies. Chesapeake had 7 guards rotating in/out, all lightning quick with hands to match. Their games with Portsmouth will be real track meets!
Do they have a Remington?....cause I’ve not seen another around.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

mikepike wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:13 pm pfloyd, glad you enjoyed your trip to The Oven. My only disagreement with your assessment is that the defensive pressure of Chesapeake, in my opinion, is more than what Waverly applies. Chesapeake had 7 guards rotating in/out, all lightning quick with hands to match. Their games with Portsmouth will be real track meets!
... I DID enjoy being at The Oven ! glad I made the trip - long but worth the drive ... we'll have to agree to disagree on this one mikepike ... Waverly may not have rotated in "all guards" but ALL of those players rotated in for WHS were quick - hands, feet - and could jump out of the gym - the comparably "slowest" player both of hands and feet would have been the 6-5 Smallwood but he adds a big in the half court game for the Tigers imo ... I'll stick with my observations on this one ... Chesapeake will be a very good TEAM by the end of the season for sure - I like who they have on the floor, Eli Archer is outstanding and only a sophomore ... the Panthers LEARNED a lot about themselves at The Oven Saturday evening ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Great rundown Floyd! Spot on like always. After seeing Waverly beat Athens the way they did I’m starting to question my Eastern pick for the holiday classic. That’s gonna be a great tournament!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:34 pm
... I DID enjoy being at The Oven ! glad I made the trip - long but worth the drive ... we'll have to agree to disagree on this one mikepike ... Waverly may not have rotated in "all guards" but ALL of those players rotated in for WHS were quick - hands, feet - and could jump out of the gym - the comparably "slowest" player both of hands and feet would have been the 6-5 Smallwood but he adds a big in the half court game for the Tigers imo ... I'll stick with my observations on this one ... Chesapeake will be a very good TEAM by the end of the season for sure - I like who they have on the floor, Eli Archer is outstanding and only a junior ... the Panthers LEARNED a lot about themselves at The Oven Saturday evening ...

I think the Archer kid is only a sophomore

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

great run down as always, I still need to watch a Portsmouth game by the end of the season. I wanna see their stud in action. I would've made the trip to the oven but went to ZT to watch Vc play.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Reds Fan wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:51 pm great run down as always, I still need to watch a Portsmouth game by the end of the season. I wanna see their stud in action. I would've made the trip to the oven but went to ZT to watch Vc play.
I’ll tell ya this. Watched him in the Waverly, Unioto, Ports scrimmage. He isnt gonna scare anyone getting off the bus but he can shoot it

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:25 pm
Do they have a Remington?....cause I’ve not seen another around.
Nope, one Remington is enough for D2 to have to deal with this year lol. Chesapeake is solid and pressures a bit, but we’ll see the difference when Peake plays Athens on Saturday. I’ll guess that Athens will have half as many turnovers in that one.

Fun day hanging out and talking basketball with you Floyd, just like it always is.

Big Bob
Waterboy

Post by Big Bob »

Reds Fan wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:51 pm great run down as always, I still need to watch a Portsmouth game by the end of the season. I wanna see their stud in action. I would've made the trip to the oven but went to ZT to watch Vc play.
The question is...which stud? That Lattimore kid is deadly with his left hand. The Fralini kid, while he can definitely shoot, spent as much time running his mouth. He needs to zip it and play basketball.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Was able to make it to the second half of the SE/Portsmouth game and watched both games after that. All were good games and fun to watch!

Fraulini for Portsmouth is a very solid player, he knows how to get his shot. You can definitely tell Portsmouth likes to get out and run. SE seemed like a decent ball club, I could see them knocking off a team or two in the SVC.

Piketon let their game slip away. They pretty much controlled the whole game except for the very beginning and end. When Peak started to apply good full court pressure the Redstreaks seemed to get rattled and fell apart. But I think this will be a good game for Piketon to look at and see what they need to improve on. Blanton can play, no doubt. But I think guys like Lightle and Reader will need to step up offensively on a consistent basis for this team to have true success. I believe they will figure things out eventually.

The Athens/Waverly match up was solid as well. Athens has some serious size, probably the biggest team Waverly will face all year. The Tigers controlled the game most of the night, but went through a stretch coming out of halftime where they let Athens go on a bit of a run. I believe the Bulldogs will have a great season, just started out with tough back to back games. For the Tigers, this was a huge win for them. I knew what kind of team they would be, but they exceeded my expectations Saturday night. Defensively they are the real deal, arguably the best in the area in terms of high intensity pressure for 32 minutes. The Tigers did struggle at times finding a shot in the half court against a very good zone. I think that will be the weak spot for this team, the half court offense. Very high turnover game tho for both squads. But I look for that to be a common theme for any games Waverly plays this year just given their style.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

mlittle wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:35 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:34 pm
... I DID enjoy being at The Oven ! glad I made the trip - long but worth the drive ... we'll have to agree to disagree on this one mikepike ... Waverly may not have rotated in "all guards" but ALL of those players rotated in for WHS were quick - hands, feet - and could jump out of the gym - the comparably "slowest" player both of hands and feet would have been the 6-5 Smallwood but he adds a big in the half court game for the Tigers imo ... I'll stick with my observations on this one ... Chesapeake will be a very good TEAM by the end of the season for sure - I like who they have on the floor, Eli Archer is outstanding and only a junior ... the Panthers LEARNED a lot about themselves at The Oven Saturday evening ...

I think the Archer kid is only a sophomore
... you're right mlittle - ONLY A SOPH ! (I corrected it- thanks) - outstanding going forward for the 'peake ... wow ...

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Re: Pfloyd's Official "Un-official" Napkin Stats for the Piketon Tip Off

Post by Ukfanatic »

Well there is a second Remington. He is a sophomore and just as athletic as his brother. May actually jump better than Cody does. Unfortunately he is not a fan of basketball. They will however be teaming up to terrorize track teams all across southeastern ohio this spring.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Pfloyd's Official "Un-official" Napkin Stats for the Piketon Tip Off

Post by trojandave »

Very happy to see my Trojans get an opening win over a good Southeastern team. I said in preseason that the Trojans greatest attribute is their quickness, and it showed as they forced a number of Panther turnovers. Matthew Fraulini and Danny Lattimore carried the offensive load, but Miles Shipp, Myquel McKinley, and Amare Johnson were very important players helping at both ends of the court. Love Shipp's physical mentality in the paint, and McKinley showed a lot of athleticism. The freshman Johnson played well and did not have opening game jitters. Excited my Amare's upside as the season goes.

Great to talk to Pfloyd as always and glad to see his health is good. He's been through a lot with such a great attitude the whole way. Also good to talk to UKfanatic.

Waverly and Athens was a very entertaining game. Very physical, a lot of fouls, but both teams played really hard. Athens starting 4 players 6-4 and all of them have muscle, but the Tigers didn't back down. I love Waverly's defensive mentality.

Didn't see the Chesapeake--Piketon game, but good win for the Peake and Peake71. The OVC got two non-conference wins over the SVC in this tournament.

Return to “Boys Basketball”